Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Anyone other than the Djinn's use magic? From the sound of it most of the inhabitants of the City are tech based.
    Yeah I give up. They would need like a bajillion UNs to take it out. And they would all have to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Anyone other than the Djinn's use magic? From the sound of it most of the inhabitants of the City are tech based.
    *consults incredibly messy notes in incredibly messy HDD* I'm never gonna complain about how Nissan laid out the Z32's engine bay again.

FFR, plenty of variables.

"Magic" generally stops at the True Gods and Goddesses where both knowledge and influence over the fundamental "is" of being, and not being becomes "absolute." Here, the Djinn use magic as the Gods and Goddesses allow them to according to either the rules of their home 'Verse, or the contracts they work under if they're away from home.

Tasty Tidbit:

To a True God or Goddess, there is no such thing as "magic," as "magic" is a general means to explain something that is outside of one's knowledge. To someone like, say Aaritka, its all a science; at this point beings are literally all-knowing and all-understanding(along with all the other omni's.)

It also depends on the individual Djinn, where they're at in their career, where their specialties lie, and their style. Let's say we have a Djinn whose services are frequently requested by different Creators. This Djinn may prefer calculations instead of empathy and experience. Such a Djinn might turn down a contract to serve a True God or Goddess who has structured their Creations around the ability to "feel ahead" of the timeline. However, a local Djinn would have better skills and be able to handle the tasks better, but they wouldn't be able to reach solutions like a Djinn who has been hired out by another Deity, and who has more experience working in different 'Verses.

So as one may guess, in the City proper, magic doesn't really exist; every new "technique" of being is quickly latched onto by curious parties and studied like crazy. Djinn who can live and/or work there also tend to have mastered the different techniques of simply being at that level. Whether said "technique" is weaponized or not, its another story(...and this is something that the NODES are infamous for, given their design intent) So, in a nutshell City is not a stagnant environment; its incredibly dynamic. Advances in many areas are made all the time(hence the data-sharing between the NODES, the research that goes on at both the Citadel and NODE-Prime, technique studies and development at HBG etc...)

Its just that the "magical" things, they don't tend to stay "magic" for long.

Example:

As seen in Endings Anew, an awakening Lost Child's consciousness can wipe out Macro-Creations, their Creators, and do it wholesale. But, that same being, after being trained to a good level of skill, can deploy a shockwave which knocks its peers around, and not damage anything. This is illogical; its magic. But what isn't being understood is the technique that is being used to prevent large-scale destruction, which even works in a place where 'Verses are being spawned incessantly.

Once this "magic" becomes a commonly known a technique, it stops being "magic."

That's what I meant by "understanding" being the key quite a while back. So, one might wonder what Etsu and Etsuko's mother is capable of, eh?

EDIT: Scrapped page count thus far: 17.
    Last edited by T51R; 09-25-2012 at 01:34 AM.
    "Our cash flow is as if a profligate son keeps borrowing money to spend on Geisha, which is why we donít have a choice not to enjoy the race." ~DOME CO. LTD, on their 2012 LeMans effort...

Advances in many areas are made all the time(hence the data-sharing between the NODES, the research that goes on at both the Citadel and NODE-Prime, technique studies and development at HBG etc...)
    This is what i am talking about. I understand the computerized and technological base of the NODES themselves. Since they were created by what was essentially a transomnipotent tech-singularity. But what about other beings that get to that level? Do none use what would be defined as psionics or other nontechy phenomeon? For example the lost children seem to spontaniously develop, not get built or upgraded by a City level computer or something similar. I understand that even on the level of True Gods variations in ability are essentially meaningless as whether someone got to True God level by mastering a martial art, using mystic forces, or just built a machine that game them all power they are equal in omnipotence. Thus obviously beings higher would see any such things as meaningless distinctions as well. What i am asking is do these distinction still exist even though everyone can learn them?

It's harder than i thought trying to explain what i mean.
    Yeah I give up. They would need like a bajillion UNs to take it out. And they would all have to work.

What i am asking is do these distinction still exist even though everyone can learn them?
    In a word, yes. Distinctions between beings, even the True Gods and Goddesses, are by way of individual preference. Distinctions between how to become Transcendent are also part of the characters, but the major component is personality. I would want to use them in order to better bring out the character's personality.

Like: three different characters of a story like music. One decides to create a 'Verse full of beings who sing her heavy metal praises. The other just gets an iPod and records said metal to listen to at a later date. The third one just asks the first for the music itself, sans 'Verse, and listens to it whenever. All this, while all three of them are capable of exactly the same things. Thus, we can say: Being A is willing to go through a bit of trouble to have good music. Being B prefers getting it with minimal work. And Being C is a lazy bastard who wants to listen, but can't be stuffed maintaining a 'Verse or trading for an iPod.

So, lets take the example of psionics. Its inferred as a means, a technique used to know what someone is thinking. Thus, lets use the same three characters as above and see what they do when the question they have between them is "what's on Person X's mind?" Note that all of them are capable of the same "psionic" method. A, being the hardworking sort, would determine the answer through observation, and research. B, willing to go through a less amount of trouble, would indeed use a mind probe. C, being the lazy bastard, would simply ask Person X.

The distinctions are driven by personality, not ability. I think this makes the characters richer and more colourful.

As far as non-tech phenomenon go, George and Etrigan are pretty good examples; after becoming Transcendent, George does use his "super-powers" once in a while, while Etrigan still uses "magic," which makes him one of the best technique-developers in the City(his Journal has quite a large following...) Then there's The Fates, who spam heavy duty military hardware and Seraph, who deals in "Concepts." A few yet-to-be-introduced characters, like Groundskeeper and Gardener(who help maintain the Yggdrasil Forest) use "Nature." Then there's Art and Scrib(collectively known as the "The Shippers") two True Gods who are close to becoming Transcendent themselves, decided to collaborate on slashfics to the point where their specialty became "The Story." Nana and Kansai, beings of very different origins, both utilize ye olde "BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA."

So yer, anyone can learn anything. The question is, what do they want to learn, how do they do it, and how do they use it?

Edit: Scrapped page count is now 19. I'm fucking up big time here. Need inspiration. GAIMAN COLLECTION ACTIVATE!
    Last edited by T51R; 09-27-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    "Our cash flow is as if a profligate son keeps borrowing money to spend on Geisha, which is why we donít have a choice not to enjoy the race." ~DOME CO. LTD, on their 2012 LeMans effort...

Bloody hell, its been an education getting these ones out:

You know those huge-arse 2-page team spreads that comic artists like to do with their summer crossovers? Hats off again to the people who do that kind of thing for pay, I never reailzed just how hard it was to pull off that kind of dynamic until I tried ^^^THESE.

Fuck my life, that was a LVLUP hard fought and won, eh!

Default Testing PB features: STORY

Testing 1.0. Crap, does anyone know how to enable PB Story, or is the forum incompatible with this feature currently?

Merry Christmas ladies and gents. Normal service will be resumed shortly...after I find half the stuff that's still in boxes.

NEXT.

I joined CBR recently, I have become a fan of your work and I just wanted to know if everything's alright with you and your project. I couldn't PM you, so I have to post it. Take your time.

Thanks for that mate, everything's alright. Next few pages are in the works now, but its going to be more time between page sets from here on in because I'm in the process of starting my own venture.

Also trying new things with each and every page, and things don't always work out like I think they should. But on the bright side, if I decide to do a racecar again least there's something for me to put on the Itasha without worrying about getting a letter from Madman Entertainment in the mail the following day.
    Last edited by T51R; 01-27-2013 at 03:18 PM.

NEXT! And yes, I can now read it sitting back in my chair. Hopefully, you can too. Please post if you can't read it when seated comfortably...

Again a perfect work. By the way, what are these scrolls? Some kind of documents that lecture the girls about the general mechanisms of omniverses?

Quote Originally Posted by priunicron View Post
    Again a perfect work. By the way, what are these scrolls? Some kind of documents that lecture the girls about the general mechanisms of omniverses?
    Unfortunately I don't have any plans to explore this particular element of the story during this arc, since its more of a troubleshooting run. The original plan was to wait until the comic's been launched properly, then look at what the scrolls are during Arashi's solo story since they're an integral part of his character.

Gonna need to work on a few more things now, and learn how to make the layout more "action-y."

Again an amazing work. By the way, will you post the drawings of other species in City of Dreams?