Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    What's the criteria for a child being accepted into the City of Dreams? And how do they suddenly show NODES level power? Is it something the NODES grant them or do certain children just have the potential for it? I recall you mentioning somewhere the child connection is a throwback to times before the city of dreams was what it is now. But what made you keep it as such a place for lost children now that it's also the defacto "dimension" of the transomnipotents? Maybe i asked this before i can't recall but i forgot if i did. It's been awhile.
    Mmmmkay, this is one of those "oh f*ck" moments, because the notes and initial artwork are still in Australia(on one of several USB sticks) So I'll quite likely need to go reference them again when I get back and make amendments to the following: FFR, if I am recalling right what's in the notes I wrote while re-developing the "Lost Child" concept quite a while back:

I had to break the "being type" into two branches: Children and "Lost Children" for the sake of expanding the story/character-generating potential of the concept. Also helps to generate a massive number of filler/extra characters. The former get re-homed, and their fates are left to the True Gods and Goddesses(these either can't survive in the City, or can still be handled and raised by a True God or Goddess with a good amount of risk. Usually both.) So basically the're adopted, where they also get to make their own choices. In a nutshell, its down to "potential." There are a few characteristics that make up such an individual, and there are also common factors:

For Lost Children generally its:

-A very loosely defined origin 'Verse with few defined rules(often associated with Young Gods) OR
    -A Godless Creation(very rare, usually spawning very powerful individuals like Forte and Sora)
    -That being's "ism" has either outlived its own Creation or Creator, or couldn't be contained by them by the usual methods.
    -Enough innate potential to defy the Omnipotence Paradox(i.e. can God create a rock so heavy he can't lift it)
    -And the most important thing, consciousness. They need to be able to mentally process The City and the Void Lands, else they end up doing what amounts to self-destructing.
    -A very hard life, usually connected to these attributes somehow.

They were first called "Lost" because they couldn't be re-homed(as seen Nana's raw consciousness, uncontrolled, would itself be lethal to True Gods and Goddesses on a massive scale.) So at some point, I think it was during Seicross' era, the decision was taken by every inhabitant of the City, and the City itself to start a project to elevate these individuals and bring them in. Gonna need to check the data points as to the history.

For regular children, its:

-Enough innate potential to at least rival their own Creator, but preferably to equal them.
    -Origin 'Verse that's better set up(more experienced Creators, or Old Gods/Goddesses looking for replacements before they fade to the Currents, so that their Creations can carry on)
    -Consciousness enough to be able to comprehend their Creators at first sight(these are prime adoption material) but, some can be be slowly acclimatized to the Higher Cosmology.
    -A strong being or "ism" that can withstand being in the direct presence of their True God or Goddess.
    -Usually led a very hard life from these attributes.

If you thought I have re-structured it very much like the professional driver's journey to F1, you would not be mistaken. BUT. I digress.

These regular children, once re-homed, are usually much more sociable than their new parent. And in some cases, are raised to outperform them. So we do have a few who, instead of spending time at the Halfway House, are given a sponsorship(i.e. kept in the City by someone else's power) to attend either HBG or finish a live-in apprenticeship just like the Lost Children do. These ones, they go home but still keep their ties of friendship to the City and its citizens(this normally does not end well, as they get flooded with visiting Aspects from time to time.)

That's the criteria done. Now for the rest:

I think what you're referring to here is just Nana, who is quite a unique case in terms of blunt force trauma. Not every Lost Child has that kind of punch; in fact she's supposed to be a very rare kind of "tanky" being who's way beyond the status quo(Arashi couldn't move Grey through his techniques when she first appeared, Nana moved her by copying Yuuri's hardest hit and putting everything she had at the time behind it)

For a normal Lost Child, the "output surge" comes from the lack of having a True God or Goddess; since they were built out of the will of their Creator or Creatrix, there could still be some measure of control(however difficult) BUT, if removed from that sphere of influence or if no longer under any influence, well, its what happens when a flywheel goes walkabout in the dyno cell: if their "ism" and consciousness can withstand it, they break out to become their true selves. Most Lost Children are not even in the ballpark of a NODE unit at first, while only some Lost Children have the potential to actually exceed a NODE unit in therms of sheer power output; for example Karu, who can withstand Nikuu's attacks for a short time without being "fully grown" yet. Nana is very much the same, having enough damage soak to absorb Kansai's "Blow of Loli Motivation" but packing more damage output(at the time of her Graduation, she could already cut straight through Nudoru's "Void Phase" and take it to a slugfest)

Their power and potential is completely their own, the only job of the NODE dispatched to get the Lost Child is to either prevent or minimize damage to the True Gods or Goddesses, and their Creations(failure means countless lives lost, obviously) from the sudden awakening of a Transcendent Being.

The City connection, I'll need to wait to get back to Oz and go through the notes to give you an answer for this one. I think its on another USB stick than the Lost Children file(YES, I _AM_ going to get this thing is own dedicated standalone HDD) Sorry about that mate.

^^^Now, all the above(except the part for me being disorganized, which is my fault completely) development came from the first time you asked me those questions. So FFR I do need to credit you accordingly. When I get to the site construction proper I'll need to get your details for the "Developmental Critique" page if you don't mind.
    Last edited by T51R; 07-07-2012 at 02:15 AM.
    "Our cash flow is as if a profligate son keeps borrowing money to spend on Geisha, which is why we donít have a choice not to enjoy the race." ~DOME CO. LTD, on their 2012 LeMans effort...

Quote Originally Posted by T51R View Post
    The City connection, I'll need to wait to get back to Oz and go through the notes to give you an answer for this one. I think its on another USB stick than the Lost Children file(YES, I _AM_ going to get this thing is own dedicated standalone HDD) Sorry about that mate.
    No problem at all, you answered my questions beyond any reasonable expectations. Thank you

^^^Now, all the above(except the part for me being disorganized, which is my fault completely) development came from the first time you asked me those questions. So FFR I do need to credit you accordingly.
    I thought i asked you, but i just wasn't sure. But i was glad i could help. I of all people understand the challange of developing cosmic+ level settings. And any help on it is good help.

When I get to the site construction proper I'll need to get your details for the "Developmental Critique" page if you don't mind
    Not at all, when you need the relevent info just PM me and i'll send it.
    Yeah I give up. They would need like a bajillion UNs to take it out. And they would all have to work.

No problem at all, you answered my questions beyond any reasonable expectations. Thank you

I thought i asked you, but i just wasn't sure. But i was glad i could help. I of all people understand the challange of developing cosmic+ level settings. And any help on it is good help.

Not at all, when you need the relevent info just PM me and i'll send it.

Not a problem mate, and just a story update for everyone while the new pages for Endings Anew are in production. The latest storyarc has been started, and I think its the 9th chapter that is NOT character-focused. It will be called ADSL. Basically looks at what happens when non-biological beings confuse AIDS with the Internet...and a first look into what was once our 'Verse, long after it faded into the Currents. Might have gotten the chapters mixed up I don't know yet, labelled it point-point-something.

I thought you did, then I was like "why did the concept get reworked to begin with?" Followed by an "AHA!" moment. But yer, cosmic + is currently an area where there's practically no supporting material or anything to go off of, you're dead right that any help is good help here.
    Last edited by T51R; 07-07-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    "Our cash flow is as if a profligate son keeps borrowing money to spend on Geisha, which is why we donít have a choice not to enjoy the race." ~DOME CO. LTD, on their 2012 LeMans effort...

PAGE 20.

PAGE 21.

PAGE 22.

PAGE 23

PAGE 24

Mmmmmkay, gotten comfortable with the 4-page update format now. Better file size and compression too, so it should load quicker. Yes, I am now looking into the requirements of the site construction.

Japan's #1 Psycho Girl JDogindy's Avatar

I really do like all of the fine details you placed for Yggdrasil, as universes fall like fruit. I know that, for the leaves, you basically did a lot of copying, is that correct?
    All-time favorite comment:
    Power of music? Wanna know why the original Presence bailed out of the DCU? These two are the reason:
    -Koyomi Mizuhara
    -Mimi Tachikawa
    SInging Karaoke. :D

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    I really do like all of the fine details you placed for Yggdrasil, as universes fall like fruit. I know that, for the leaves, you basically did a lot of copying, is that correct?
    Not really, even if you copy and paste it takes way too long. Think of why buildings are made with prefab concrete and other materials these days, and only the smaller ones are made of bricks. Its the same reasoning behind the process.

Not really, even if you copy and paste it takes way too long. Think of why buildings are made with prefab concrete and other materials these days, and only the smaller ones are made of bricks. Its the same reasoning behind the process.
    Oh, I see. Because I haven't any experience messing around with these things, I just assumed it was a copy/paste thing. Right now, my expertise is just drawing parts of something, and the rest of the background in my panels is basically a gradient. Not very professional, but I have to start somewhere.
    Power of music? Wanna know why the original Presence bailed out of the DCU? These two are the reason:
    -Koyomi Mizuhara
    -Mimi Tachikawa

-Enough innate potential to defy the Omnipotence Paradox(i.e. can God create a rock so heavy he can't lift it)
    Looking back i have to ask, how do you handle the Omnipotence paradox as far as True Gods?
    Yeah I give up. They would need like a bajillion UNs to take it out. And they would all have to work.

Looking back i have to ask, how do you handle the Omnipotence paradox as far as True Gods?
    Read on. I didn't watch Excel Saga in one sitting for nothing. I have prepared for this question by also watching all of Cromartie High and Bobobo Bobo several hours later.
    Last edited by T51R; 07-19-2012 at 10:41 AM.

UPDATE: Am back in Australia. New pages forthcoming; after reviewing the previous pages it looks like I will need to refine the storytelling further to be more "flowy."

UPDATED.

PAGE 25

PAGE 26

PAGE 27

PAGE 28

Nicely done.

Of course, I had to put PH on hold for a while because I felt like I was really lax on designing characters in the comic and ignoring focus on perspective and proper antaomical builds. I keep saying that a lot, but I would feel much better if I learned to do good drawing habits over and over again, and not bad ones.

I guess I put myself in a time warp and didn't bother to notice what I was drawing and critiquing my own self.
    -Koyomi Mizuhara
    -Mimi Tachikawa

Alright ladies and gents, its been a busy time getting settled(possible new job at bigger company, much better pay, nice perks etc...) but the next set of pages is started. Get ready to meet some of the students of HBG.

Jdog, the critique process is an ongoing one; it never stops. The important thing is to figure out the changes you want to make, make them, and keep the momentum going. The problem is finding the time to repeat the changes again and again so they become permanent.

As always, I'd like to try something new with the next sequence, please bear with me, because I am going to make mistakes(causing work to get scrapped)