Page 94 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 2475
    Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

Oy. Let's not play the 'blame ratings on genre' game. Especially not if you have to twist facts to make your case. Viewers have no problem with genre television when done well. The only problem is when network execs and others with mindsets similar to you act like genre is something to be ashamed of, assuming on behalf of viewers that they have a problem with it, when really, the average American is perfectly happy with genre fare. I mean, come on....'shows like Lost succeeded by hiding the fact they were sci fi but ratings plummeted the more sci fi it got'? No. Every single viewer knew it was a paranormal show from the second the smoke monster showed up in the pilot. Sure, the show's success had a lot to do with the strength of its characters rather than hard sci-fi concepts, but that has nothing to do with hiding genre, and everything to do with good storytelling. Ratings dropped because the storytelling got unnecessarily convoluted in places, and people didn't have confidence the show knew where it was going. Nothing to do with its genre.

Heroes was very successful its first season. Ratings dropped because the quality dropped. The interest in its premise and subject matter was definitely there though. And so on and so on. The problem isn't that network audiences don't want to see genre fare. Bad TV is just bad TV, no matter its genre. For every sci-fi flop, I can easily name a derivative procedural that was shuffled off the air just as fast.

And sorry, but no matter how you spin it, Game of Thrones is a success. That's why its renewed and gets the buzz it gets. True Blood is a success. The Walking Dead is a success. The Vampires Diaries is a success. You can qualify all you want, but these shows perform to and above their expectations, and that's all that matters.

*Shrugs* You're not the only one who seems to think the average American has no interest in genre material, but I really don't get where people get that idea, especially when the most successful and talked about movies of the past several years are all superhero movies, except for when they're sci-fi or fantasy (Prometheus is as hard sci-fi as it gets, and its one of the most anticipated movies of the summer, even from people who have no idea its related to the ALIENS franchise, and you have no idea how many teenage girls are looking forward to Snow White and the Huntsman).

People have no problem with fantasy and sci-fi. They just want it to be GOOD fantasy and sci-fi.
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    NBC is in last place most nights, except during football season
    Serves them right for not greenlighting David E Kelley's Wonder Woman show.

Quote Originally Posted by supergirls_pal View Post
    from what I hear, that pilot was garbage....most everyone passed on it
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by supergirls_pal View Post
    Glad it got cancelled. It was a piece of crap
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

CBS has canceled Unforgettable, Rob and NYC 22.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Oy. Let's not play the 'blame ratings on genre' game. Especially not if you have to twist facts to make your case. Viewers have no problem with genre television when done well. The only problem is when network execs and others with mindsets similar to you act like genre is something to be ashamed of, assuming on behalf of viewers that they have a problem with it, when really, the average American is perfectly happy with genre fare. I mean, come on....'shows like Lost succeeded by hiding the fact they were sci fi but ratings plummeted the more sci fi it got'? No. Every single viewer knew it was a paranormal show from the second the smoke monster showed up in the pilot. Sure, the show's success had a lot to do with the strength of its characters rather than hard sci-fi concepts, but that has nothing to do with hiding genre, and everything to do with good storytelling. Ratings dropped because the storytelling got unnecessarily convoluted in places, and people didn't have confidence the show knew where it was going. Nothing to do with its genre.

Heroes was very successful its first season. Ratings dropped because the quality dropped. The interest in its premise and subject matter was definitely there though. And so on and so on. The problem isn't that network audiences don't want to see genre fare. Bad TV is just bad TV, no matter its genre. For every sci-fi flop, I can easily name a derivative procedural that was shuffled off the air just as fast.

And sorry, but no matter how you spin it, Game of Thrones is a success. That's why its renewed and gets the buzz it gets. True Blood is a success. The Walking Dead is a success. The Vampires Diaries is a success. You can qualify all you want, but these shows perform to and above their expectations, and that's all that matters.

*Shrugs* You're not the only one who seems to think the average American has no interest in genre material, but I really don't get where people get that idea, especially when the most successful and talked about movies of the past several years are all superhero movies, except for when they're sci-fi or fantasy (Prometheus is as hard sci-fi as it gets, and its one of the most anticipated movies of the summer, even from people who have no idea its related to the ALIENS franchise, and you have no idea how many teenage girls are looking forward to Snow White and the Huntsman).

People have no problem with fantasy and sci-fi. They just want it to be GOOD fantasy and sci-fi.
    They are a success for their network. The highest rated CW show is Vampire Diaries and its always a distant last place in its time slot. Buzz does not equal success when it comes to ratings. As I said, Battlestar Galactica has massive critical and fan buzz but it limped to a 4th season and was essentially cancelled due to ratings that were putrid even for its own networks meager expectations.

I'm by no means bashing genre TV. My current viewing list is Fringe, Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Walking Dead, True Blood, Game of Thrones, Dexter, and South Park. I'm just realistic about ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    SF is less popular on tv these days because of their quality. Its not Stargate, BSG,4400 days.
    What do you mean by this sentence?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    CBS has canceled Unforgettable, Rob and NYC 22.
    I figured that was happening...CBS felt the need to shoehorn Poppy Montgomrey into something after "Without A Trace" was finished...feel bad for Dylan Walsh though, been a fan of his since "Nip/Tuck"

The Mexican James Bond Guapo Méndez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Poor poor SMG
    It took forever to take off. One episode had them run out of ways to move the plot forward and, out of the blue comes a plot-pushing phone call. Right then I knew the show was doomed.

Too bad, 'cause my wife loved it.

Gonna miss CSI: Miami.
    I have this idea for the next X-teme Games Gold Medal Event--Bear Tickling. Its like Bull riding but more X-treme! You are timed on how long you can tickle a bear before he attacks you.

-Excelsior

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    The official cancellations have come from ABC for The River, Pan Am, GCB and Missing.
    I hate seeing Pan Am cancelled. I was hoping it would last.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    I hate seeing Pan Am cancelled. I was hoping it would last.
    might I ask why?

Maybe they'll mention the Miami crew or something like that in one of the other CSIs. Although it doesn't look like NY will be hanging out for much longer, and I think after this season they should wrap the Vegas original.

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo Méndez View Post
    It took forever to take off. One episode had them run out of ways to move the plot forward and, out of the blue comes a plot-pushing phone call. Right then I knew the show was doomed.

Too bad, 'cause my wife loved it.
    I'd shake my head in shame if Heart of Dixie manages to survive
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Thems......

*puts on sunglasses*

Are the brakes

YEAHHHH!!
    "...The measure of a man is not in what he says, but what he does."