Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joe Rice Media Review 5/7/07

Got a stack here of at least a couple weeks' worth of comics. Nothing from Free Comic Book Day . . .I was busy with mint juleps on that fine day. I feel like I'm coming down with something so I'm slightly medicated and will likely be very brief. Perhaps I can reduce my reviews to their simplest form . . .this will be an experiment.

Super F*ckers

• Pro: Hilarious combination of real-life naturalism and silver-age Legion of Superheroes surrealism.
    • Con: Art likely not to everyone's taste. Simple cartooning, but I like it.
    • Joke: Does Cronin find Super Dan's weiner creepy?

The Punisher Presents: Barracuda

• Pro: Beautiful European-style cartooning, funny story, bizarre characters.
    • Con: Ties in a bit too much to the Punisher; VERY potentially offensive.
    • Joke: If Roadblock was this cool I'd've liked him even more than Snake Eyes.

Lost Squad

• Pro: Great high concept, fun execution
    • Con: Art fails the story from time to time. Huge wait for this last issue.
    • Joke: I got nothin'. This is good fun.

Midnighter

• Pro: Neat idea for an issue.
    • Con: Neat ideas don't necessarily make great reading.
    • Joke: Those bad guys are still more interesting than Hydra.

The Punisher

• Pro: Great, tight, pulp storytelling. Clean, clear art.
    • Con: That people let the fact that Frank is not a good man stop them from reading such a good book.
    • Joke: But then again, they probably read PAD books and are being punished already.

Runaways

• Pro: The kids are mostly in character.
    • Con: That art is goddam insulting after Alphona.
    • Joke: Where do these artists come from, some rapidly deteriorating Paul Ryan clone factory?

Hellboy: Darkness Calls

• Pro: Hellboy: Darkness Calls
    • Con: . . .
    • Joke: Some variation of my old "humping the comic book because it's so good" standard. YOU do some work.

Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil

• Pro: EVERYTHING. Perfectly-paced storytelling; a Mary that's interesting instead of "tempted;" scary bad guys; creepy ongoing mysteries; Mr. Talky Tawny; Mr. Morris; beautiful art; accessible characters; the look on my kids' faces when I hand these out.
    • Con: The next issue may be out during our summer break!
    • Joke: Now they'll want to have to go to summer school!

Overall some great stuff in the past couple weeks. Some absolute garbage, too, I'm sure, but that's easy enough to avoid. NOW FOR MORE MEDICINES!!!! IN MY MOUTH I THINK!!!!
    Things My Students Say

Here Comes a Regular (the life of a boozer) UPDATED 8/18/11: 9C, depression, bluegrass, Charlie Day

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rice View Post
    Hellboy: Darkness Calls

• Pro: Hellboy: Darkness Calls
    • Con: . . .
    • Joke: Some variation of my old "humping the comic book because it's so good" standard. YOU do some work.

• Pro: EVERYTHING. Perfectly-paced storytelling; a Mary that's interesting instead of "tempted;" scary bad guys; creepy ongoing mysteries; Mr. Talky Tawny; Mr. Morris; beautiful art; accessible characters; the look on my kids' faces when I hand these out.

Overall some great stuff in the past couple weeks. Some absolute garbage, too, I'm sure, but that's easy enough to avoid. NOW FOR MORE MEDICINES!!!! IN MY MOUTH I THINK!!!!
    I don't follow as many comics as you but I love these two titles. I rediscovered my love for comics when someone leant me a stack of Hellboy trades a few years ago and discovered CBR through the Hellboy Forum. The Hellgeek community has been chewing on the release of Darkness Calls for a long time with lots of anxiety about Mike Mignola not doing the art. I think that the artwork done by Duncan Fegredo worked very well and I loved this first issue of DC. There are some great appearances of old characters and much promise of creepy things to come.

I wasn't as smitten by Shazam! #3 as I was by the first two but I am really loving it. Too bad it will be over next month.

Obviously, this blue part here is the land...

Got a stack here of at least a couple weeks' worth of comics. Nothing from Free Comic Book Day . . .I was busy with mint juleps on that fine day. I feel like I'm coming down with something so I'm slightly medicated and will likely be very brief. Perhaps I can reduce my reviews to their simplest form . . .this will be an experiment.
    NICE bullet points. You put that in a PowerPoint on the Blends background, and you'll have a job at AnyCorp. USA.

Terrific book. I've gone over it and over it just marveling (nyukk, nyukk) at Smith's art. I think what makes him stand out the most is that as interesting as his action scenes are, he doesn't phone in the quieter moments. Things like Billy's stance as he tried to push the revolving door open, the look on his face when Mary first saw his room (I wanted to cry), Dr. Sivana's quote fingers and the "Big Red Cheese". Just great.

And I LOVE Mary getting right up in the robot thing's eye and shouting at it. Wonderfully done.

I saw a complaint elsewhere about the pretty reporter's "I can see why they call you Captain Marvel" panel. Didn't really bother me. It was kept general enough that I think it'll go over kids' heads.

One thing I could have done without, though. I'm talking, of course, about the presentation of Talky Tawny's butthole. I have (barn) cats, and, yeah, I've seen a lot of cat buttholes when they walk around like that, but c'mon Jeff. That's just gross.

Chalk me up as a Shazam fan. But like gary, something felt wrong in this issue. I suppose it was more plot focussed that character building, and so part of it felt forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Algren View Post
    . . . .

I saw a complaint elsewhere about the pretty reporter's "I can see why they call you Captain Marvel" panel. Didn't really bother me. It was kept general enough that I think it'll go over kids' heads.

. . . . . .
    Smuggling adult humor into all-ages is risky. But like most things with artistic risk, sometimes the pay off is worth it. The first Shrek movie did it very well.

The panel made me roll my eyes, and took me out of the story. *Smith swings for the fences . . . steeeeerike*

CotM Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow View Post
    Smuggling adult humor into all-ages is risky.
    It never occurred to me that it was "adult".

I just assumed she was talking about his physique.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Omega View Post

Yeah, same here.
    Things My Students Say

Here Comes a Regular (the life of a boozer) UPDATED 8/18/11: 9C, depression, bluegrass, Charlie Day

HA! (perhaps it was my own insecurities) :D

I thought she was looking at his crotch.

CotM Member

HA! (perhaps it was my own insecurities) :D

I thought she was looking at his crotch.
    That means you have a dirty mind. And are gay.

Yeah, same here.
    Yup.

(10 characters.)
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

That means you have a dirty mind. And are gay.
    I thought my repressed sexuality was well known after all these years.

I have no complaints about the panel, I just didn't think it was funny. But now that I know it was my dirty mind at work, and I didn't have enough time to make a "Lena edit" . . I will simply slink back into my cubicle . . .

At least I didn't notice the cat ass holes *glares at Matt - hoping to deflect attention*

Obviously, this blue part here is the land...

I thought my repressed sexuality was well known after all these years.

I have no complaints about the panel, I just didn't think it was funny. But now that I know it was my dirty mind at work, and I didn't have enough time to make a "Lena edit" . . I will simply slink back into my cubicle . . .
    I thought maybe I was imagining things, so I looked at it again last night. She was looking straight at his crotch. BUT it was left ambiguous enough that only dirty old men like Winslow and smart young men like me will catch it. That's why it doesn't bother me. If her eyes had been bugging out or she said something more specific (I deleted three different lines here), it could have been a problem. As is, I don't think kids will even see it. There are a few jokes like that in Toy Story, and when done well (like Smith did this one) I think it can be a real asset for the book.

At least I didn't notice the cat ass holes *glares at Matt - hoping to deflect attention*
    FURRIES ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!

Odd. I thought that panel had "crotch-gazing" written all over it.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Yeah, same here.
    I thought the same thing, when will someone scan the offending frame and let us all re-judge?
    Listen to this: alt-j - Something Good

On a throne atop a mountain of lesser men.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadstar
    Odd. I thought that panel had "crotch-gazing" written all over it.
    Oh, it did. She got herself an eyeful of Marvel crotch. A heapin' helpin' of Cap'n Codpiece.

Didn't detract from the story, though. I thought this issue was great. Not as great as the last two, but I enjoyed the fun character moments of the first two issues more than the plot development in this one. Definitely a lot of adult humor, though, and not "adult" as in "dirty," but "adult" as in something grownups would get a lot more than kids. The whole Heartland Security thing and Secretary Sivana backdrop, the "I'm goin' to the media!" charge from Billy. Funny stuff. Gonna' suck seeing this book go while that crapstravaganza Winick's peddling's still in print.
    Go !@#$ yourself.

I was more thrown off by the cat's brown eye than anything else. But I quickly got over it.

The back cover pinup is looking mighty nice.
    Google is your friend. Have a question? Look it up. ∙ BlogSequential Salon