Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Default I HATE it when books fall apart before I finish them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has happened to me twice this year, with Ulysses and Esther Leslie's Hollywood Flatlands: Animation, Critical Theory and the Avant-Garde.

Why can't booksellers produce books that are sturdy enough to last for at least one reading?!
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Because that would cost more money?

Seriously though, depending on how old those books are the glue that they use to hold the spines in place can actually become brittle and decay if the book is not stored well (ie if it is stored someplace too humid or in direct exposure to sunlight, etc).

If you know the printing of the book, I'd send a message to the publisher.

Sabrina

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina_Fried View Post
    Because that would cost more money?

Seriously though, depending on how old those books are the glue that they use to hold the spines in place can actually become brittle and decay if the book is not stored well (ie if it is stored someplace too humid or in direct exposure to sunlight, etc).

If you know the printing of the book, I'd send a message to the publisher.

Sabrina
    These books were both new. Maybe it's the humidity that did it, though -- I'm in northern Florida.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Peace and Quiet. Jonathan Bogart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tim Drake View Post
    These books were both new. Maybe it's the humidity that did it, though -- I'm in northern Florida.
    Newer books are made more cheaply than older ones. This is why I always try to buy hardback and used, preferably from a printing fifty years older or more, if I have a choice. Nothing beats a sewn binding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Bogart View Post
    Newer books are made more cheaply than older ones. This is why I always try to buy hardback and used, preferably from a printing fifty years older or more, if I have a choice. Nothing beats a sewn binding.
    Older books are also uglier than newer books, though. And I hate the appearance of hardcover books, although I can't exactly explain why.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

Peace and Quiet. Jonathan Bogart's Avatar

Older books are also uglier than newer books, though. And I hate the appearance of hardcover books, although I can't exactly explain why.
    These two sentences make as much sense to me as if you had said that you preferred breathing carbon monoxide to oxygen because it was less purple. So, uh, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Bogart View Post
    These two sentences make as much sense to me as if you had said that you preferred breathing carbon monoxide to oxygen because it was less purple. So, uh, okay.
    We'll have to agree to disagree, then.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

We'll have to agree to disagree, then.
    Can't you just disagree to agree instead?
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stealthwise View Post
    Can't you just disagree to agree instead?
    Yes, if only to be agreeable.

Actually, I've only had one softcover and seven hardcover books fall apart on me. Thank goodness my mom has supplies for that. And I don't like hardcovers for anything but reference or gaming books, they take up more space then my paperbacks, and I need all the shelf space I can get.
    Klickatat, female, roleplayer, and all around me.
    JackApostrophe: You've got to understand that Bc is evil. Picture the most evil person you can. Then add about ten litres more of pure, concentrated evil. Then sprinkle on some extra evil just to make sure. You are now picturing a cat
    Now, imagine the queen of the cats. The cat among cats. Then imagine that cat was being manipulated by someone else from behind the scenes.

That person is Bc. At her best

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Why can't booksellers produce books that are sturdy enough to last for at least one reading?!
    I found such flimsiness useful in only one case: to appease my conscience!

In my line of work, I sometimes get offered complimentary copies of textbooks that editors want me to adopt for my classes. I admit that I accept such offers even when the book's subject isn't exactly related to what I teach because, well, books are cool.

So when a gorgeous free copy of a biology textbook that there was no chance I'd force my students to buy fell apart on opening, I was sort of elated!

I actually don't generally like hardcover books either. There is just something aesthetically appealing (to me) about a nice, sturdy, roughly hand-sized paperback that makes the reading process enjoyable.

I found, though, that some publishers seem to produce sturdier paperbacks than others. Vintage Books, e.g., tend to be slightly longer lived. Also, Signet and Bantam paperbacks also can withstand some abuse.

The best paperbacks are in the old Tuttle Books series -- a publishing house specializing in asian (mostly japanese) literature. Great reinforced covers and stiched binding: the only way to read Mishima.

Sorry to hear about your books falling apart, Aaron.

It has never happened to me.

spoilers:
    na na na na na na!
    end of spoilers

I prefer new books over used books. As far as hardcovers are concerned, I disagree: I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    I found such flimsiness useful in only one case: to appease my conscience!

In my line of work, I sometimes get offered complimentary copies of textbooks that editors want me to adopt for my classes. I admit that I accept such offers even when the book's subject isn't exactly related to what I teach because, well, books are cool.

So when a gorgeous free copy of a biology textbook that there was no chance I'd force my students to buy fell apart on opening, I was sort of elated!
    They do this in my line of work too. Twice a year, my department has a book fair where publishers' representatives distribute free copies of books they want us to adopt.

They also don't seem to mind if you abuse this system. For example, I am currently reading a Longman Cultural Edition of Henry IV, Part One and Two, that I got at the last book fair. I have no plans of teaching Shakespeare in the foreseeable future. :)
    Last edited by Aaron Kashtan; 05-03-2007 at 07:20 PM.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

Made for you and me. DrewTheXenocide's Avatar

I once left a book in the car in direct sunlight and the heat competely melted the glue binding holding the book together.

Insanity!