Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    is a very dirty girl Athena Bast's Avatar

Unhappy I'm not allowed to buy any more books

My boyfriend and I have been moving for a week into our new apartment. Same building, different floor, bigger apartment.

I have a lot of books. A LOT of books. I've been basically buying books at least once a week since the beginning of the year.

I came home on Sunday with some "invisible" bookshelves. My boyfriend saw the bag and said, "That damn well better not be any more books because you're going back to work and returning them!" I showed him the shelves and he said it was okay;)

He told me today that I can't buy anymore books until I clean up the bedroom and sort through all my clothes and then clean up the spare room. THEN I can buy books.

So I guess have to do that by Friday because I have the first series of Cardcaptor Sakura and the Crucible trilogy from Star Trek: TOS.:D
    So, there's this thing ​NEW! 5/3/13

Veteran Member

Iv just been on holiday to Hay-on- Wye in Wales over 40 book shops including one converted cinema with more than a million second hand books. I go once every two years and i still have'nt found room for the hundreds of books bought two trips ago. Im getting close to being kicked out, but its not my fault theres soo many good books out there.
    Good God man! Why are you slapping a monkey.

Foley, Stop healing the assassin!!!

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Athena Bast View Post
    My boyfriend and I have been moving for a week into our new apartment. Same building, different floor, bigger apartment.

I have a lot of books. A LOT of books. I've been basically buying books at least once a week since the beginning of the year.

I came home on Sunday with some "invisible" bookshelves. My boyfriend saw the bag and said, "That damn well better not be any more books because you're going back to work and returning them!" I showed him the shelves and he said it was okay;)

He told me today that I can't buy anymore books until I clean up the bedroom and sort through all my clothes and then clean up the spare room. THEN I can buy books.

So I guess have to do that by Friday because I have the first series of Cardcaptor Sakura and the Crucible trilogy from Star Trek: TOS.:D
    Let me get this straight, you let your boyfriend tell you what to do? Wow, I didn't think any guy was allowed to do that anymore.. :D
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

i need to get rid of some of my books too, keep the classics, throw out the crap!
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

I had this problem a while back and seperated the wheat from the chaff by selling the stuff that I didn't think I'd read again via Amazon Marketplace. It also went a little way towards the mortgage deposit on a bigger place!

Veteran Member

Default I'm Not allowed to buy any more books

This does not compute.

Even paperback books are pretty expensive these days, so I only buy used books. And since storage space is an issue at my new place (both my g/f and I are packrats), I have stopped buying books for now, sold some off at Half Price Books, and spend more time at the library than the bookstores.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Try reading the books you already have. That'll help ease the pain.

Trust me; I'm on a major budget, so I end up re-reading my books three or four times.
    Last edited by i_mmmchocolate; 05-01-2007 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by i_mmmchocolate View Post

Trust me; I'm on a major budget, so I end up re-reading my books three or four times.
    Why is that more enjoyable than getting new-to-you books from the library?

Quote Originally Posted by K'Nort View Post
    Why is that more enjoyable than getting new-to-you books from the library?
    Actually, I do that too! Not lately though. I should have a look at what's in the new section now-- it has been a few weeks since I've checked out any books.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Let me get this straight, you let your boyfriend tell you what to do? Wow, I didn't think any guy was allowed to do that anymore.. :D
    He can tell all he wants... doesn't mean I hasta to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by i_mmmchocolate View Post

I'm waaay behind on my reading and the new apartment is actually encouraging me to do more than sit in front of my computer all the time.

Sort of know how you feel, of course with me its my Mom. There are only four shelves in my room (no room for any more) and they're completely packed with books, as is the giant drawer under the bed. After the last Library book sale, I had to promise not to buy any more books until I have at least read the ones I have.

It's going to be hard, that's why I'm demanding my family and friends get me books for my birthday and Christmas.

And unfortunately the local libraries really suck.

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

I have a scary number of unread books, especially after spending $90 at the library book sale, and I keep spending more money on additional books that I've been too busy to read. Good thing the summer is coming up.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

My problem right now is that I have 9 of the 21 "Sharpe" books. My store is also just getting Cardcaptor Sakura manga.

Also to blind him to the books I'm buying I'm throwing in the odd Naruto manga.

I've also ordered some from before the commandment so they won't count when they arrive.