Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fresh 2 Def

Default Good Aquaman,Hawkman and Flash stuff

I'm thinking about picking up...

Aquaman:Time and Tide

Hawkman:Endless Flight

Flash:(need help picking out the best of the best since I know that Waid and Johns have tonnes of books out there)

Yay or nay?

now this is a Thread i like.

Geoff johns Flash Run. 61 issues.
    crossfire
    Blood will run
    ignition
    Rogues
    Rogue war
    The secret of barry allen

His famous profile issues on villains are next to none.

he created some of the most memorable viillains ever-murmur, plunder, tarpit, zoom 2, girder, new trixster too
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Geoff johns Hawkman.

Endless flight.
    Allies and enemies.
    wings of fury.

Villains: Gentleman Ghost, Roderic, The headhunter, Blogue (A play on the word Block, cus he could literally block your vision and hearing and was superstrong) copperhead, shadow thief.

Stories, fun. deep and interesting.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"

Quote Originally Posted by Billage View Post
    Aquaman:Time and Tide
    Yes, Its great! PAD's whole Aquaman run was great!

Hawkman:Endless Flight
    Yes

Flash:(need help picking out the best of the best since I know that Waid and Johns have tonnes of books out there)
    I've read bits and pieces, I liked Mark Waid's run better. When Geoff Johns's wrote Wally he was a bore, but his villians were awesome!

I say Flash: Terminal Velocity or Flash: The Return of Barry Allen.

I've read bits and pieces, I liked Mark Waid's run better. When Geoff Johns's wrote Wally he was a bore, but his villians were awesome!

I say Flash: Terminal Velocity or Flash: The Return of Barry Allen.[/QUOTE]

Each to there own.

I would have viewed Johns wally to be much more interesting and fun. heck the guy is clown!!!!

Wally is the perfect litttle jester in his own right.

I think because of the seriousness of some of geoff's stories wally was put thru hell and back.

I guess the villains were the most revered part of his run.

Fresh 2 Def

So I picked up Hawkman: Endless Flight.

Really enjoyed this a great deal.I really enjoyed Hawkman's savagery during the actions scenes,and people call DC the "lighter" universe,:rolleyes:."Do Nothing!"That was classic.

The first arc with the hunt for the crystal could have easily been a disaster.Very fun adventure type story.I enjoyed Hawkman's reaction when he saw the Elephant slaves,speaks volumes about the character.Even though he seems like an ass with alot of fascist beliefs,the guy believes in what's right.

The 2 parter with Ollie was just perfect.I loved Kendra's threat in the beginning.The highlight was obviously the bickering between Carter and Ollie and the amazing fight scene with The Spider.

So are the next 2 volumes just as good and worth picking up?

If you're intrested in Flash you're lucky since you'll got time to buy all the Waid and Johns' runs (and they're quiet good) but if you want to start somewhere try with the #120 (that where I began with Wally West) it's easy to get in and well written and drawn.
    I strongly recommanded you to avoid every issues of Hawkman before the v4 if you want to avoid nervous breakdown in trying to understand who's who.
    and for aquaman... well all depends of how you want to see him, as king as super hero as youngblood ??
    Wants to prove you belong to the elite ?
    Wrestling Revealed vs The World here

So are the next 2 volumes just as good and worth picking up?
    Definitely. And don't hesitate to get "Rise of the Golden Eagle" when you finish with those either, as I feel Palmiotti, in many ways, actually outdid Johns' performance on the title. And Bennett's art is just plain awesome.

You also might want to check out the JSA trades of "Return of Hawkman" and "Black Reign" if you haven't already. The former is self-explanitory and the latter was a crossover with the Hawkman series that featured the character heavily (along with the now ever-popular Black Adam). Both are very entertaining reads in their own right.

Really, this series was completely rock solid until OYL, as far as I'm concerned.

Master of Funk! Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The best Aquaman stuff doesn't actually have too much Aquaman in it, but his great, great, great, grrrrrrreat grandparents in the ancient Atlantis Chronicles. Peter David's entire run is based upon this maxi-series gem that DC still hasn't collected in trade yet. It's Peter David's very best work in my opinion.

Hawkman was never better when current Jonah Hex writers Palmotti and Gray were kicking ass and taking names during the run up to Infinite Crisis. I can't remember it's name, but it has Hawkman whupping every single one of his baddies' asses, then being torn to pieces by Man-Hawks. Awwwwsome.

If you haven't read Waid & Ringo's beautiful Flash run, which segues nicely into the early, oh-so-wonderful Impuse run. Bart is a beautifully done character.

If you haven't read Waid & Ringo's beautiful Flash run, which segues nicely into the early, oh-so-wonderful Impuse run. Bart is a beautifully done character.[/QUOTE]

It depressess me when people Rate waid's Flash Run over Geoff johns.

maybe it's because im young. but the art in mark waids flash run made the book really hard for me to read. and the savitar story and character was just horrible.

Again, maybe it's the new-ness of Geoff's run and my love for hunter zolomon that makes me think like this.

Taste in art is subjective, of course. Me, I hated Scott Kolins's work. But art aside, I'd rate Waid's run over Johns's because I don't remember much that was really fresh or exciting from Johns's run. He created Zoom, which was great, and added a little more personality to Keystone/Central City, which was fine. But other than that, it was a long string of questionable decisions: forcibly restoring Wally's secret identity, pushing Linda off to the sidelines, focusing on the Rogues over Wally, undoing the Trickster's and Heat Wave's reformations, making Mirror Master over into a coke-sniffing victim of child abuse...

Waid's run has its own problems. But "The Return of Barry Allen" is the story that got a lot of people to finally accept that the torch had been passed from Barry to Wally, and that Wally really had earned the mantle of the Flash.

As far as Waid's run on The Flash vs. Johns' run on The Flash, I'll side with Waid. Johns' run was good, but imo, he never wrote an arc as good as The Return of Barry Allen or Terminal Velocity. Those two Flash stories are just plain awesome.

EDIT: And I'm probably in the minority here, but while I liked Johns' run, I didn't like his run from #200-on as much as I liked the stuff that came before #200. Something about those stories from #200 through Rogue War just didn't seem as good to me for some reason.
    Last edited by Infra-Man; 04-11-2007 at 04:50 AM.

i would consider Rogue war a classic, thank god i write reviews for comics!!!!

Rogue War was good, don't get me wrong, but I just liked the stuff that came before #200 better. I think some of it has to do with the stuff about The Top from The Secret of Barry Allen and how that spilled into Rogue War.

I guess the thing about Waid's run, particularly The Return of Barry Allen and Terminal Velocity, is that those stories were a lot more emotionally satisfying and moving to me that most of the stuff in Johns' run, especially post-200. Given, there are some incredible character moments in Blitz and the new bridge segment of one of Johns' Flash stories (can't remember which once since my copy of that trade is on the other side of the country right now) is just pure badass, but they still don't quite have that really novel, heck-yeah feel that I got from The Return of Barry Allen and Terminal Velocity.

AQUAMAN:
    I really enjoyed Atlantis Chronicles back in the day. It was an 8 issue mini, late 1980's, about the history of Atlantis; it focused more on the civilization that pre-dated Aquaman, though.
    And the 1st Sub Diego arc I thought was just fantastic.

HAWKMAN:
    I'd recommend #1-49 of the current series (renamed HAWKGIRL with #50). Johns' stuff was great, and Palmiotti/Gray's run after that was fun too.

FLASH:
    Geoff Johns' run. All of it. Just bloody terrific.
    Mark Waid's stuff........hasn't stood the test of time, IMHO. His first arc, a recap of sorts of Wally's origin, still reads great though.