Default Bad Super Hero, Bad: Christensen talks "Black Summer"

This June, Avatar Press leaps into the super hero game with the Warren Ellis penned "Black Summer." We spoke with Publisher William Christensen to find out what this book means to his company.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=10158

Super villain books don't sell.

Warren Ellis on Thundserbolts proves this addage wrong.:)

Quote Originally Posted by DiRTMouND View Post
    That's not always true ... and in this case, with it being penned by Warren Ellis, I don't think that "rule" applies.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Executive Producer, CBR
    - CBR - Twitter -

Obviously, this blue part here is the land...

Quote Originally Posted by DiRTMouND View Post
    Welcome to CBR!

Forgive me for reading the two articles attached to this.... but I don't recall ANY of Black Summer being a "super villain" book. In fact, Ellis is saying he wrote Black Summer so the reader can make up their own mind. He's scripting a morally ambiguous character.... depending on the reader's POV. As he echoed, where does justice draw the line?

On the other note, I agree with Jonah... super villain books do, and have sold. Not only have they sold, but they've been penned by some of the best. Simone's, Villains United, Ellis', Thunderbolts, Millar's, Wanted (soon to be a movie), Waid's, Empire, Brubaker's, Dr. Doom, and more.

The perception (if any) may stem from the fact that many of these books were mini-series, or one-shots. Not "on-going" for several years to burn into the conscious of the fan base.

The only problem I've seen with villain books (from the "big two") is that they have to exist in premade universes. In short, they become part-time anti-hero books by default. Also, they tend to lean heavily on forcing the villain to work (i.e, blackmail, deadly threat, coercion, et.). This turns them into reluctant villains and not TRUE villains working from their own accord.

But that's not here, or there. Ellis', Black Summer won't have any of those trapping - which the big companies just can't do. These are the blessings of creator-owned titles.

Tony Stark is such a case. Morally ambiguous... drawing his line of "justice" in the sand. Yet, he's still a hero, in a hero book / universe. But readers have made up their own minds... and put him in the "villain" box (doesn't help the way CW was scripted with his over-the-top antics) But he believed he had his heart in the right place. That's the middle zone I think Ellis is trying to reach - but with Avatar, on new ground, new character, no baggage.