Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Downloading the Cow: Hawkins talks Downloadable Comics

Top Cow President Matt Hawkins sat down with CBR News to discuss the studio's plans for downloadable comics version of books like "Witchblade" & "The Darkness."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=9995

THats why I love Topcow
    "Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."
    Bruce Lee

If someone ever started downloadable comics I'd actually read I might try them.

What's this DRM software everyone hates?
    Free your soul and let it fly....

The Irish Guy

It's software that is designed to stop people from copying content. The most common one in existence is probably the one on DVD's. If you go out and by a DVD and try to copy it you won't be able to because of the DRM.

Songs you get on the itunes music store also have DRM and which is the reason that if you want to play a song you got off the itunes music store you have to use either Itunes music player or an IPod. You won't be able to play it on anything else.

DRM has a number of problems. The first is that it's relatively easy to get around. The DVD DRM was cracked shortly after DVDs were released. Even HD-DVD's DRM system is beginning to show cracks.

The second problem is that a drmed copy of something is usually worth less than an illegally pirated version.

For example you could pay for a movie and download it tonight legally but you would have to watch it on a computer. However if you got one illegally off the internet you could watch it on what ever you want including a dvd player. Including DRM on a product hurts a genuine consumer more than it could ever hurt a pirate.

In the case of comics DRM won't stop anyone from making an illegal copy of the comic. It already exists on a piece of paper that can be easily scanned.

I would love if Top Cow eventually decided that using DRM wasn't the way to go. I would definitely buy their online comics if that was the case. Unfortunately I don't see that happening. Like it was said in the article. Any money they make is more than they were making previously. And I'm betting that DonC is in the majority not knowing what DRM is.

Maybe I'll start a letter writing campaign to try and persuade them to do away with it.

Taking comics on the net is silly. It's not the same thing. Everything is supposed to be downloadable. Which is pathetic and makes the haves be the ones with the computers and the have nots less capable of finding work because they don't own a computer... or sometimes even a home. But that's a separate issue.

Everything is supposed to be on the net now. But I'm not buying.

Quote Originally Posted by xarathos View Post
    Taking comics on the net is silly. It's not the same thing. Everything is supposed to be downloadable. Which is pathetic and makes the haves be the ones with the computers and the have nots less capable of finding work because they don't own a computer... or sometimes even a home. But that's a separate issue.

Everything is supposed to be on the net now. But I'm not buying.
    Well, first off, pretty much every has a computer these days and frankly, those who don't probably aren't collecting comics.

Ignoring the net is a huge mistake, something comics companies have been doing for far too long now. There will be a point sometime in the future where the overwhelming majority of content will be digital. That's not to say print publishing will die completely in the next five years, but not being ready for the digital revolution that's already been happening for some time could ultimately destroy the comics industry.

No, the experience of reading a comic on your computer versus in your hands is not the same for you and I, but for the next generation of collections reading a comic online will be a preferred experience to in your hands. We have to be ready for this -- it's happening. Think about it, in 2000 very few people were willing to watch movies on their computers. Today, illegal movie downloads take up a huge amount of the bandwidth on the Internet. More and more people are watching them on their computers, or downloading and moving it to other media to watch it. The same is happening with comics.

You don't need to buy it -- it's already happening.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Executive Producer, CBR
    - CBR - Twitter -

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    If someone ever started downloadable comics I'd actually read I might try them.

One company has. SLG's Eyemelt.

There's also Devil's Due's initiative: http://www.pullboxonline.com/
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Executive Producer, CBR
    - CBR - Twitter -

The Irish Guy

Oh man this is awesome.

They are both DRM free too. I'm gonna buy rex libris off eyemelt and the family guy comic off pull box. And Jesus Vs The Vampires.

To rip off something some one on digg said today "At times like this, when no one is looking, I hug my computer. This whole Internet thing is pretty cool."

Default not buyin it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland View Post
    Well, first off, pretty much every has a computer these days and frankly, those who don't probably aren't collecting comics.

Ignoring the net is a huge mistake, something comics companies have been doing for far too long now. There will be a point sometime in the future where the overwhelming majority of content will be digital. That's not to say print publishing will die completely in the next five years, but not being ready for the digital revolution that's already been happening for some time could ultimately destroy the comics industry.

No, the experience of reading a comic on your computer versus in your hands is not the same for you and I, but for the next generation of collections reading a comic online will be a preferred experience to in your hands. We have to be ready for this -- it's happening. Think about it, in 2000 very few people were willing to watch movies on their computers. Today, illegal movie downloads take up a huge amount of the bandwidth on the Internet. More and more people are watching them on their computers, or downloading and moving it to other media to watch it. The same is happening with comics.

You don't need to buy it -- it's already happening.

im just not buyin this...its a comic "book". yes...there will be comics online and yes, its cool to check them out sometimes. however...to compare digital comics to movies or music is not very reasonable.

movies are digital from the get go, as is music. you rip digital movies and burn dvds that play the digital movie. watch a movie, listen to music...all you need is a screen and/or speakers. not as easy to read on a computer/screen. publishing comics is far from gone. i like reading in bed....kinda sucks dragging my macbook along with me.

the book is the comic medium...not digital.

Quote Originally Posted by max_payne View Post

im just not buyin this...its a comic "book". yes...there will be comics online and yes, its cool to check them out sometimes. however...to compare digital comics to movies or music is not very reasonable.

movies are digital from the get go, as is music. you rip digital movies and burn dvds that play the digital movie. watch a movie, listen to music...all you need is a screen and/or speakers. not as easy to read on a computer/screen. publishing comics is far from gone. i like reading in bed....kinda sucks dragging my macbook along with me.

the book is the comic medium...not digital.
    You say movies and music are digital from the get go. I think what you mean is the final distribution is and yeah, of course, you're right, but things change. Comics these days are a digital product printed in analog. More and more artists use their wacom tablet versus their drawing board. The drawing board will never go away, but their numbers will go down in time. Comics are digitally colored and lettered and from there it's simply one click to create a PDF with no cost involved at all. Lower costs/higher revenue are just one of the many promises of digital distribution. There's too much benefit to ignore it and the wave of the future is all digital. Like I said earlier, you don't have to buy it -- it's already happening.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Executive Producer, CBR
    - CBR - Twitter -

Extra Terrestial Lifeform Bazooka Tooth's Avatar

You know i hope comics, even in a million years time, will stay as it is. Something which you ought to have a copy of in order to fully enjoy it. I've tried these digital comics thing (im guilty of downloading illegal comics myself), and i swear to god i hate having to read it on my computer. It just sucks that way. Owning yourself a copy offit gives you many reason to enjoy the whole issue or book, whichever. I myself personally like to marvel at the artwork 90% of the time, giving them a cold hard look trying to absorb the colors and the amazing art. I dont wish for this medium to become fully digitalized in the near future. Man it's just not a 'comic' like that.

Yeah having a copy is good but not everyone reads or wants to buy them this will help others to get into comics, and they might decided to buy them.
    "Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."
    Bruce Lee

Extra Terrestial Lifeform Bazooka Tooth's Avatar

I think having these online previews are simply good enough. It gives an insight to the reader on what to expect and such. Maybe a free copy of the first issue, like what vertigo has done for some of their titles. I just dont have the heart to not see comics stores that shelves their comic books high up and some of them bundled and stored in the drawers, etc etc, all that anymore. =/

Whether anyone likes it or not, digital comics are coming. And if companies do not offer them, they will be left behind.

I'm not saying print editions will disappear. It just that kid's these days are more used to getting their entertainment on the computer and reading from the screen. If a company to ignores that and only offer print editions, they would be losing money and readers for that company.