Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

As long as we're talking about minority heroes [HERE], I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't many Asian superheroes, especially considering how Asians make up like 1/3 of the total global population. I mean the only Asian heroes of any significance are probably: Psylocke (debatable since she only has an Asian body that rarely ever seems to be portrayed as Asian-looking), Karima, TBird III, Sunfire, Silver Samurai, Karma, Jubilee, Shang Chi, Xorn (maybe?), Amadeus Cho, and Jimmy Woo. And out of all of those, I think Jubilee, Amadeus and Jimmy are the only Asian-Americans, the rest are technically foreign nationals that "work" in the US. I know there are a couple more but they're either pretty minor or dead.

This is probably what peeves me most about Marvel. Except for Canada and Britain, they seem to completely neglect the rest of the global superhero community. I mean, it's already hard enough understanding why 90% of the entire US hero population is based in NYC, but the way things have been portrayed, 99% of the entire global hero population is in the US. I'm not saying they should just churn out minority heroes to put on the Avengers as quota fillers (since that hasn't exactly worked in the past), but they could definitely do a lot more to mention or even establish good, stable hero teams around the globe. Of the foreign teams out there, they are almost always created just so they can implode and disband. I just refuse to believe that out of the 1 billion plus people in China, they only have the Collective Ma(e)n (what exactly are his powers now?) to defend them (it's just as bad for India who only seem to have Karima and TBird3). I'm also finding it really hard to understand why all foreign heroes are pretty weak in comparison to US heroes. They're either just peak-human or easily defeated energy wielders.

Of all the Asian heroes with staying power, they're just about all female (Psylocke, Jubilee, Karima at the moment). The guys are guest stars at best (Sunfire, Silver Samurai). Hopefully the 50 States Plan is a move in the right direction in spreading out heroes. Maybe this could lead to a global exploration of heroes around the world.
    Last edited by HeckBoy; 03-11-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Big Hero Six and Mastermind Excello is nothing to scoff at. i wish there was a black character who was portrayed as smart and capable as Amadeus.

yea it is strange but marvel is an american company after all
    ----------------------------------------

Beware the Creeper! MichaelMogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeckBoy View Post
    I just refuse to believe that out of the 1 billion plus people in China, they only have the Collective Ma(e)n (what exactly are his powers now?) to defend them...
    Well, if Marvel is operating in the real world perameters, there is no way the gov't over here would allow costumed heroes, outside the realm of their control. :rolleyes:

Shang Chi (even with his horrible name) may be the best representitive of the Chinese people, despite the horrible stereotypes.

Actually China has two teams China Force and the Eight Immortals.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    I've heard of China Force but I thought they were defunct, and haven't heard of the 8 Immortals. Either way, I'm not calling for Marvel to launch series about foreign heroes so much as I'm looking for some sort of acknowledgment of a wider global community of heroes and teams. It stands to some reason that now that the US technically has a super hero army under the control of SHIELD, that other countries would get just a bit cautious, and maybe start to consider fielding their own teams, kinda like the European Captain Corps over in the Ultimates.

Masked Bat-Mod RonnieThunderbolts's Avatar

I enjoy several of Marvel's Asian characters. Silhouette from New Warriros is half Cambodian, Collen Wing is half Japanese, both US Citizens. Jolt is a Japanese American, as is Whiz Kid, Taki from the X-Terminators and X-Factor and Nico Minoru of the Runaways too. I do think there is a general lack of realism and diversity in comics, and I hope it can be fixed over time, but I'm not counting on it just yet.

I've heard of China Force but I thought they were defunct, and haven't heard of the 8 Immortals. Either way, I'm not calling for Marvel to launch series about foreign heroes so much as I'm looking for some sort of acknowledgment of a wider global community of heroes and teams. It stands to some reason that now that the US technically has a super hero army under the control of SHIELD, that other countries would get just a bit cautious, and maybe start to consider fielding their own teams, kinda like the European Captain Corps over in the Ultimates.
    The Eight Immortals from X-Men vol. 2 #158

Each country has there teams
    Russia - Winter Guard
    Ireland - Kinsmen
    France - Les Heroes de Paris
    Canada - Omega Flight
    Italy - Gemini
    China - Eight Immortals
    Iraq - Desert Sword (defunct now)
    United Kingdom - Excalibur

But i see your point to counter the US Initiative with more teams forming and closer ties between the countries. Is SHIELD still International, if so, maybe they will try starting the Initiative in other member countries.

Yeah I'd like to see more asian characters that don't wear Chinese or Japanese style clothing, but it's because I am asian myself.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar

By Asian I assume you are refering to the American English term for China, Japan, Korea? That area of the world?

As opposed to the English term for India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and that region as used over here by people of that ethnic group?
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Well, in the US, they tend to use "Asian" as the catch all for all people of Far East, Pacific Islands, and Southeast Asian (Indians, Pakistanis, etc.) origin (essentially anyone on the continent of Asia). I didn't really think about specifics in terms of what Asian connotates, but I guess anyone falling within the aforementioned classification would work.

Never heard of the Eight immortals- anyone have pictures? Actually, never mind.

The Eight Immortals from X-Men vol. 2 #158

Each country has there teams
    Russia - Winter Guard
    Ireland - Kinsmen
    France - Les Heroes de Paris
    Canada - Omega Flight
    Italy - Gemini
    China - Eight Immortals
    Iraq - Desert Sword (defunct now)
    United Kingdom - Excalibur

But i see your point to counter the US Initiative with more teams forming and closer ties between the countries. Is SHIELD still International, if so, maybe they will try starting the Initiative in other member countries.
    never heard of most of these, either.

Maybe we can see these teams show up in "Avengers; initiative", or are they primarily going to concentrate on the US heroes?

don't forget Foe-Dog from the Iceman mini-series.
    http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/charac...p?fldAuto=1335