Default Advice on picking up drawing again

I used to really love drawing and I would do it all the damn time, since I was a little kid. It was a big part of the first 2 semesters of my college program about 4 years ago. People told me I was good, though I never thought so myself. I could draw pretty damn well as Long as I was looking at something and drawing it as I saw it, I never really progressed past that stigma of needing to see what I'm drawing; if I tried to draw a figure out of my head it would not look as cool.
    I think had I stuck with it I would have improved greatly in/after college, but I pretty much gave it up entirely, for various reasons, some of which mayeb I should not discuss here lol
    Anyways, I'm in a period in my life where I'm constantly thinking "what the heck am I doing here? Do I really wanna work all day every day in this horrid factory, come home and vege out on the couch and play video games until I fall asleep, then do it again tomorrow, and constantly worry about tomorrow as I live paycheck to paycheck?"
    I figure, maybe I won't become a superstar artist and make a career of it, but damn it would give me somethin to do, something to feel good about, and mayeb one day something may come of it. It was always a passion of mine and I want that passion back.

SO, how the heck to I go about this?! I feel as though I have no inspiration whatsoever. I mean, I WANT to draw, but I look at my sketchbook and I think "if I draw right now, it will not look good, it will not look cool...unless I go get a copy of Battle Chasers or Evil Ernie and draw a character exactly how I see him" and then I just kinda give up and play video games or watch a movie and I forget about drawing altogether.
    How do I go about getting over this total block that prevents me from picking up a pencil, that totally sucks out my desire to even try?
    I'm sure someone here must have been through a similar phase where they just did not want to draw and couldn't find a good reason to make themselves again. IF so, how did ya do it?!
    I wanna get that passion for doing it back, I wanna get the motivation to keep at it, I want to improve beyond any level I was at before, but I have no idea how to start!

What has helped you guys get over blocks/slumps like this?

From Parts Unknown... clayholio's Avatar

Yeah, I went through something like that when I was in college, I didn't pick up a pencil for 18 months. Not good times.

The only advice I could give is that at some point, you have to forget that people are going to look at your work. Every artist has sketchbooks and sketchbooks filled with awful work, but you've got to do that awful work to get to the decent work. So start filling sketchbooks, don't worry about showing them to everyone, and know that the last drawing in each sketchbook will definitely be better than the first.

Also, if you can find the time, try taking a drawing class at your local community college. They usually have evening classes if scheduling's a problem. Just getting in there from week to week will get you drawing, make it into a habit, and keep your mind on improving your work.

Good luck, man!

Senior Member The Mirrorball Man's Avatar

It's simple, really: if there's a blank page, fill it. If inspiration doesn't come, don't wait for it. Artist's block is an illusion. If you can't draw, draw. Works all the time.
    Check out my deviantART gallery!

It's best just to draw what you like. Any interest in a subject whatsoever will help keep you motivated to some dgree. Then, get the reference you need, and start drawing on your own. It may not look good at first, but that's what practice is all about: repetition, repetition, repetition.

Also, try out techniques different than what you might be used to. New styles/approaches might open up some new artistic venues for you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by clayholio View Post
    Also, if you can find the time, try taking a drawing class at your local community college. They usually have evening classes if scheduling's a problem. Just getting in there from week to week will get you drawing, make it into a habit, and keep your mind on improving your work.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxofSteel View Post
    Also, try out techniques different than what you might be used to. New styles/approaches might open up some new artistic venues for you as well.

Hmm, that is actually something I have been thinking of doing. My old life drawing teacher from college still does weekly sessions at the school I went to that anyone can go to and he has mentioned in the past, after I have visited to say hi, that I am more than welcome to just come and sit in on any session he has for free. Perhaps now is a good time to seriously do that.
    And that would in fact be a whole new approach at art for me, since I always used to do more comic book/unrealistic dark type of images most of the time.

I am going to seriously consider this.

Or you could do artwork for a webcomic. Say, for a webcomic that has sucky artwork as it is? Like one in someone's profile, eh, eh? ^_~ *Nudge*

Nah, seriously, though, the advice above is good. Draw if you feel like drawing or find yourself a project that involves something you want to do, like inventing new superheroes or doing a fancomic or heck even a self-published original title.
    Lightbringer - The World's First Superhero

Long Live the Revolution! Revolution of the Mask - Issue 2 Now Available!

Let's set bad comics on fire from Atop the Fourth Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Hmm, that is actually something I have been thinking of doing. My old life drawing teacher from college still does weekly sessions at the school I went to that anyone can go to and he has mentioned in the past, after I have visited to say hi, that I am more than welcome to just come and sit in on any session he has for free. Perhaps now is a good time to seriously do that.
    I think this is the best thing you could possibly do at this point. This is a golden opportunity, and the timing seems right.

Just don't be too impatient. Baby steps, man. Get there on your own time, but remember that it's like exercising a muscle after some downtime - it might seem painful at first, but suddenly you'll realize it's happening naturally.

After that, take a good look at what you've been doing, and figure out where your strengths and weaknesses are.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

Goodbye CBR. Take Care.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    I used to really love drawing and I would do it all the damn time, since I was a little kid. It was a big part of the first 2 semesters of my college program about 4 years ago. People told me I was good, though I never thought so myself. I could draw pretty damn well as Long as I was looking at something and drawing it as I saw it, I never really progressed past that stigma of needing to see what I'm drawing; if I tried to draw a figure out of my head it would not look as cool.
    I think had I stuck with it I would have improved greatly in/after college, but I pretty much gave it up entirely, for various reasons, some of which mayeb I should not discuss here lol
    Anyways, I'm in a period in my life where I'm constantly thinking "what the heck am I doing here? Do I really wanna work all day every day in this horrid factory, come home and vege out on the couch and play video games until I fall asleep, then do it again tomorrow, and constantly worry about tomorrow as I live paycheck to paycheck?"
    I figure, maybe I won't become a superstar artist and make a career of it, but damn it would give me somethin to do, something to feel good about, and mayeb one day something may come of it. It was always a passion of mine and I want that passion back.

SO, how the heck to I go about this?! I feel as though I have no inspiration whatsoever. I mean, I WANT to draw, but I look at my sketchbook and I think "if I draw right now, it will not look good, it will not look cool...unless I go get a copy of Battle Chasers or Evil Ernie and draw a character exactly how I see him" and then I just kinda give up and play video games or watch a movie and I forget about drawing altogether.
    How do I go about getting over this total block that prevents me from picking up a pencil, that totally sucks out my desire to even try?
    I'm sure someone here must have been through a similar phase where they just did not want to draw and couldn't find a good reason to make themselves again. IF so, how did ya do it?!
    I wanna get that passion for doing it back, I wanna get the motivation to keep at it, I want to improve beyond any level I was at before, but I have no idea how to start!

What has helped you guys get over blocks/slumps like this?

I think many artists have gone through this type of thing in their lifetime. I've had "artist's block" on and off over the years ever since highschool. (For me personally, it's related to my depression. I'm less motivated when it's worse)

But for many, I think it's just feeling insecure about your own abilities and being too hard on yourself. Don't compare yourself to every artist out there. Compare yourself,...to yourself. Look at older artwork, find stuff that you really liked, stuff that excited you. Maybe try doing some of that now but don't overwhelm yourself. Just draw out "ideas" on paper first. That's been one of the hardest things for me to do. I'm very impatient with my own artwork but I've been trying to draw out rough sketches more first instead of trying to make it look perfect the first time. That will take the pressure off of you and then you can "experiment" with the image.

And I agree with the others who mentioned trying new techniques or some art classes. That might inspire you to do new things. It doesn't have to be perfect the first time. Just doodle and sketch...for pratice and fun. Some of the best art ideas I've gotten over the years have come from some of my simple doodles.

Good luck to you, and don't give up. It's never too late to follow your artistic dreams. Just one day at a time.
    Last edited by Nikita; 02-18-2007 at 01:50 PM.

You're getting a lot of good advice here. I'm going throught the same slump as you. Check out my "30 Hour Comic" post and see what I've been doing.

It's been helping a lot. Just look out. The first couple days are fun, then I started getting sick of it, and started getting too down on yourself. KEEP GOING ANYWAY!!!! Next thing you know, you'll look back at you work even a month ago and be pleasantly surprised by how much you've improved!

Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Mutsi View Post
    KEEP GOING ANYWAY!!!!
    Probably the best advice in the entire thread so far.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers