Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Foul Play at Hermes Press

This is the story of trust betrayed by disregard. The age-old tale of the creator ravished by Herodian builders. At its center, Daniel Best, an Australian comics fan and chronicler of comics industry creators, wetting his feet in the icy waters of professional book publishing. Enter Daniel Herman, founder and Publisher of Hermes Press who would gain Daniel's trust for his first venture. The subject is Hermes Press' newly released art book, Partners for Life, the story of memorable comics creator team Ross Andru and Mike Esposito.

I happen to have a word for men of such high calibre, and that word is DOUCHE!!!! Aside from a "written and signed" contract, what can newbies do to protect themselves from the ravaging of such self-righteous wolves?
    Last edited by spazzy mcghee; 02-13-2007 at 04:31 AM.

Angry

Disgusting!

Maybe the jerk/lawyer/publisher can go represent Olney in his time of crisis.

Nah, Olney would be jealous, cause Herman actually got something published.
    Last edited by Flamebird; 02-13-2007 at 04:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    "In times of CRISIS, it's of utmost importance to always keep ones' head."- M. Antionette

Dill Crockery Knoodle Jones-That Stillwell guy

Honestly, I'm thinking the Olney method, public shaming, is becoming more and more important. People like this, ugh, they need to be exposed.

Thanks for bring this to our attention, Michael. You're a great man.

Gail

Ditto to Gail. It helps that we recognize this sort of crap and are willing to stand up to it.
    Lightbringer - The World's First Superhero

Long Live the Revolution! Revolution of the Mask - Issue 2 Now Available!

Let's set bad comics on fire from Atop the Fourth Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Simone View Post
    Honestly, I'm thinking the Olney method, public shaming, is becoming more and more important. People like this, ugh, they need to be exposed.
    It's become important because the audacity of this behavior seems to be rising exponentially. Your idea for an independent web space for such cases is excellent, Gail.

A small trepadation I have, (beyond the "ugh" it causes me to have to write such a piece) is that people like this have a very thick skin and actually like the attention such a scandal brings. What you've shown with the Olney method is that even the thickest skins can be broken. I hope we don't have to go that far to see a budge in this case... but they are entirely differing cases and personalities.

While what happened was nasty, and absolutely wrong, I do have to wonder why only a verbal contract was agreed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Smooth View Post
    While what happened was nasty, and absolutely wrong, I do have to wonder why only a verbal contract was agreed to.
    Daniel Best says he won't be making that mistake again. Until now he'd done everything verbal because he mainly worked with creators and became used to the trust. It's not such an uncommon thing for newcomers to the business world.

Well, I feel terrible for what happened to him in any case. It's a shame that he had to learn in this way.

Hey Michael,

Have you invited him over here?

He might be interested in the unscrewed project, or might just want somewhere to vent.

It's gotta be frustrating to put so much of yourself into something and then have it taken away.

I can PM him over on comicbloc, but I don't really know him very well, and don't want to butt in if I shouldn't.
    "In times of CRISIS, it's of utmost importance to always keep ones' head."- M. Antionette

I emailed him about the thread, Flamebird. Dan would also have no problem with a PM. Thanks.

COOL, I'll PM him then.

I just always feel awkward Pm'ing someone if I don't know them well.

But since he seemed pretty cool, I thought he might not mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Simone View Post

Thanks for bring this to our attention, Michael. You're a great man.

Gail
    Man, that makes me feel uncomfortable. No disrespect to Michael Netzer, but right now we only have one side of the story. With Olney we had many sides of the story. In this case, and with others, we only have one side and not sure if we should jump on somebody for that.

Vorsprung Durch Technik danny_acab's Avatar

While I'm loathe to comment all that much about the project because I have no desire to take anything away from the sales of the book - as I understand it Mike Esposito gets all the profits so I don't want to take money away from him - I will say this.

No promises were kept and I still have yet to see anything, and I mean anything, from the publisher in question. I'm proud of the book and happy that it's out there, but I won't be working with the guy again. It's a shame.

As for why a verbal contract? I felt I could trust the publisher in question. Michael has hit the nail on the head - everything I've done so far has been on a verbal promise. Everyone else has kept their word and done right by me, and I've done my best to do the right thing and follow through with what I've said I'd do. That includes this project. I promised Mike back in 2003 that I'd write a book about him and Ross Andru, free to charge to Mike Esposito, and then shop it around and get it published. I did that. We stopped adding the sums up after we passed about $10,000 in costs over the year (art, expenses such as phone bills, professional editing etc etc). I knew I'd not see any of that money back and, as I said, I insisted on all the profits being handed over to Mike Esposito. When I entered into the deal I was promised a lot, none of which happened.

I've now asked for a signed contract for any further printings, I've had no reply to that after repeated requests.

At the end of the day it's my own fault for trusting someone. Next time if it's not written down, in black and white then I'm not lifiting a finger. Still I have all of the publishers promises here on email and he still didn't honour them. I'd also like to point out that when Michael suggested that he was going to write an article about all of this I wanted him to contact the publisher, speak to him and put his side across. I fully expected to read the abuse and lies that Michael was told, but it made my heart sink all the same (the same as when I see emails from the publisher to third parties outlining my 'transgressions', none of which are true).

Me? I'm tired of the abuse and the lies that the publisher is spreading. If I get one more email I'll go public with those lies and respond to them. It'll be interesting to see/hear what he says at the upcoming New York Convention. It's a shame I can't be there.
    Last edited by danny_acab; 02-14-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Vorsprung Durch Technik danny_acab's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TCJohnson View Post
    Man, that makes me feel uncomfortable. No disrespect to Michael Netzer, but right now we only have one side of the story. With Olney we had many sides of the story. In this case, and with others, we only have one side and not sure if we should jump on somebody for that.
    By all means speak to the guy - I'd like to know what he's saying now (mind you I have a good idea as to what he's saying). Go ahead, talk to him and then outline what he says here, or on Michael Netzer's site and I'll respond point by point. I've kept his emails.