Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

Default Favourite Terry Pratchett scene...

I was thinking of Witches Abroad today and had a big grin on my face. Specifically the sequence when Greebo became human, then goes about seducing the available ladies in polite society with his animal magnetism. It was a hilariously written sequence and actually one of my favourite Pratchett books. The Sphinx's riddle from Pyramids and Death protesting that he didn't kill Elvis in Good Omens (actually all of Good Omens is genius! - I never stop being upset at the thought of Terry Gilliam directing the sequence with the marketing people playing paintball).

Pratchett writes to a formula and that can annoy through sheer repetition, but he can produce this nuggets of comedy gold.

When Granny Weatherwax does it with BEES! No-one can do it with bees!

The one that first comes to mind is the bit from Guards! Guards! where the would-be dragonslayers realize they need a handicap in order to qualify for the million-to-one-chance.

The tangent in Small Gods about the wrecked ship and crew going on to sail in the afterlife is another memorable scene. I remember reading those few pages for the first time and immediately reading them again.

'You can't give her that!' she screamed. 'It's not safe!'
    IT'S A SWORD, said the Hogfather. THEY'RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.
    'She's a child!' shouted Crumley.
    IT'S EDUCATIONAL.
    'What if she cuts herself?'
    THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LIFE LESSON.

I love the Hogfather.
    What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

"In 1996, I was 36. And you're still a frothing moonbat." ~Paradox

The scene in Hogfather where the wizards attempt to cure the god of hangovers. (And, probably, allot of similar scenes I can't recall right now. The wizards are awesome!)

The "capitulation" scene in Interesting Times.

The anti-Auditor signs from Thief of Time.

The "Fift Horseman" scenes from Theif of Time.

Most of Going Postal.
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-25-2007 at 07:37 AM.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Most of Going Postal.
    Haven't read Going Postal. I remember the reviews going nuts over Pratchett's first piece of 'real satire', in years is how it was described.

I love Soul Music: "We're on a mission from Glod."

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias March View Post
    Haven't read Going Postal. I remember the reviews going nuts over Pratchett's first piece of 'real satire', in years is how it was described.

I love Soul Music: "We're on a mission from Glod."
    Don't know about real satire, but it's his best work in my opinion. The entire book is made out of pure win.
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Animation & Illustration

WHERE'S.... MY... COOOWWWWW?!?!!!

:D

Man, I can't come up with a favorite scene from ALL of Pratchett's 30+ Discworld novels. There's way too much awesome to pick from.
    Last edited by Inkthinker; 01-26-2007 at 09:27 PM.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

Rob Anybody explaining the explaining to the rest of the Nac Mac Feegles in Wintersmith.

Oh, and the "old boots and mud" restaurant scene in Hogfather was nothing short of hilarious!

"But what about coffy?"
    "Café la Terre! Hot mud!"
    "Oh, they're going to notice that."
    "They haven't so far."

LOL! :D :D :D
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck

Mmmm... Tasteless... niall mc cann's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias March View Post
    First real satire or no, it was his best book in a loooong time.

there's some great scenes on there- the final challenge scene is very memorable and exciting; i'd nominate it.

I also love the ending of maskerade, and the scene from Carpe Jugulum with Granny and the anvil.

BANNED

Where do you begin? And end?
    Just out of the top of my head, the scene where the trio of witches summon a demon from out of a bath tub in "Wyrd Sisters." The demons like, no human can pronounce my name. And they respond, try me. And his name tunrs out to be something like Vxvstrlstvvasxxxlstr or something. Nanny Ogg's reply was priceless. "Goodness, where were you when they were handing out vowels? Behind the door?"
    LOL.
    And after they extracted the information they wanted from the demon Granny tells him to "run along." The demon was about to shit in his pants. Man, that whole scene was funny as hell. Classic Pratchett.

Quote Originally Posted by niall mc cann View Post
    First real satire or no, it was his best book in a loooong time.
    I've always thought Night Watch is Pratchett's best to date. It transcends genres in a way none of the other discworld books could. But I've always been a Sam Vimes fan so I'm biased.

While there's far too many scenes to choose, I think Sam Vimes telling Vetinari off at the end of Night Watch was very emotional and brought me to tears. Oh and while we're at it, when Vimes' son was born and just before he collapsed from sheer exhaustion, Vimes goes: "I'll teach him how to walk, I'm good at walking." Sheer magic.

Animation & Illustration

By the way, if there's any Pratchett fan here who hasn't been to L-Space, it's well worth checking out. Especially the absolutely massive quotes page, which are often closely linked to the best moments in the Disc novels.

The annotations page is also pretty awesome. Check out the various notations on your favorite book, see what you can learn.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio