View Poll Results: Grade The Movie!

Voters
407. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • A+--Greatest Comic Movie Ever!

209 51.35%
  • A--Excellent!

154 37.84%
  • B---Very Good but could have been better

33 8.11%
  • C---Meh, just okay

5 1.23%
  • D--Very let down; even "Catwoman" was better!

3 0.74%
  • F---Complete Failure; what happened??

3 0.74%
Page 200 of 293 FirstFirst ... 100150190196197198199200201202203204210250 ... LastLast
Results 2,986 to 3,000 of 4382

Any ME players here? I thought alot of stuff in it was very reminiscent of ME

Fury talking to the Council via that room reminded me of Anderson doing the same with the ME Council in ME.

Loki's influence on Hawkeye and the other SHIELD members reminded me of those indoctrined by Soveriegn.

SHIELD Hellcarrier = The Normandy

Maria Hill almost came across like a mix between Kelly Chambers and Miranda

The Chitauri were reminiscent of the reapers, especially the big Leviathans

The final battle with portal opened on earth reminded me of ME3.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    My main point is that he can only do hand to hand combat.
    No. That's not all he can do and the movie made that clear.

Hawkeye and Black Widow were doing more amazing things than he was.
    Really? What constitutes your definition of "amazing?" Because Hawkeye and Widow- while engaging in activities that were pretty impressive- weren't exactly shown to be doing stuff that was far beyond Cap's reach. Hawkeye had the benefit of his aim and his marksmanship, but Cap and Widow also had moments where they shone.

You sit there and see Iron Man take out 20 aliens with a few blasts, or see Hulk take out one of those whales, or see Thor fling a car and kill 20 aliens and you think, "damn Captain America is the weakest guy in this battle."
    Never thought that for a second.

Cap's scene in the train station, for instance, showed how capable he was. And the scenes where he went toe to toe with Loki, and broke up the fight with Iron Man and Thor was also suitably impressive.

I think this is more YOU thinking that Cap is the weakest guy in the battle than anything else. Besides, anyone is going to look lesser when compared to Thor and Hulk.

Hawkeye personally took Loki out off his flying machine
    With an exploding arrow. Not sure how that makes Hawkeye more "powerful" than Cap.

and Widow actually closed the portal.
    By exploiting a flaw that the designer of the portal built into the device. Nothing about her "power levels" caused her to shut down the portal, nor does it make her more "powerful" than Cap.

I'm just saying I think it's interesting how lined up he seems the weakest. I think they could have done more to show his ability.
    They did. Several times throughout the film. I just think you have a weird definition of "powerful."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nosocialize100 View Post
    I thought it was odd they kept showing Captain America looking downtrodden and defeated. I suspect it was a way to give the audience a barometer of the battle through Captain America. Since he's the soul of the team his emotional state could signify the team losing. If that were the case, showing him sweat and be tired was a story element, not really the best considering he is a peak human, but definitely an interesting way to signify them losing.
    Where are you getting that they "kept showing" that Cap was "downtrodden and defeated." He was a little morose at the beginning, but he seemed more pissed off about his situation than downtrodden and defeated. He never for an instance gave up, even during the darkest hour. When Coulson died, it was Tony who was more emotionally compromised than Cap. It was Cap who actually helped pull Tony out of HIS slump.

Default Rate The Avengers Movie!

Surprised this is not already a thread but, well, considering the movie obliterated records with a $200 million opening weekend, I am guessing a lot of us here saw it! So.....simple question: what grade do you give it??
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

I'll start it off----saw it Friday nite and was utterly blown away! A+ from me; greatest comic movie ever----better than "The Dark Knight", "Spider-Man 2", "Iron Man", all of them. A staggering triumph----cannot say enough good things about how it succeeds on every conceivable level!
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008

BANNED

I give it an "A." (No pun intended.)

It was a very entertaining movie. It had great characters and great characterization. There were some plot holes, but I think the story covered them quite well. The action set pieces were unique and well staged. All the characters were given their time to shine and no one felt superfluous. The story itself seems very standard when you look at it- superheroes band together to stop an alien invasion. But it was what the filmmakers did with it that was impressive. The dialogue and interactions between the characters were a step above, with more thought given to their motivation and their choices than simply doing so because the plot said so. There were a lot of subversion and double subversions, which helps keeps audiences on their toes and draws them in. I also like the note the movie ended on, again subverting expectation but still providing a good sense of both closure AND providing enough for an open ending. It's for this reason that I push it to a solid "A." I think it does enough to warrant a fairly high grade, but it just SLIGHTLY misses getting an "A+" for lacking a certain something that would have pushed it above and beyond. It did what it set out to do, it did it well, and it provided a few surprises along the way.

Overall really loved the movie.

Only real question now is: Are Hawkeye and Black Widow still Shield Agents or did they quit? I think it makes more sense for them to stay Agents of Shield but the way the movie ended I got the sense they quit.

Also I thought the big argument scene with the Avengers came off as slightly naive, by the big 4. Not saying I was totally in favor of what Shield was doing, but you can totally understand the logic especially given the circumstances.

So do you think the next movie will go Cosmic with Thanos or will get something else, maybe the Red Skull and Hydra or AIM

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    He got "disintegrated" by the Cosmic Cu--- Tesseract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daesim View Post
    Red Skull got beamed to Jotunheim at the end of Captain America. It was the last place the cube was set for before the plane crash.
    Yeah it looked like he got transported somewhere. (Where's Jotunheim?)

But he didn't get disintegrated. When I saw that scene in Cap, I just assumed he would show up in The Avengers movie since the cube was going to be in it as well.
    "John Stewart. LAME! ...this guy having a ring is like giving the batmobile to a blind old woman with her left leg in a cast."

"Pym biting Blobs head off seems like something that would have happened when i was ten years old and playing with action figures."

"i always assumed that [the blob] had the same powers as his 616 counterpart because, if simply being a huge fat guy was enough to be considered a mutant then there sure are a lot of mutants in 'real life'. "

By the way, am I the only person in the world who thinks that the post-credit scene is a nod to Bendis?
    "John Stewart. LAME! ...this guy having a ring is like giving the batmobile to a blind old woman with her left leg in a cast."

"Pym biting Blobs head off seems like something that would have happened when i was ten years old and playing with action figures."

"i always assumed that [the blob] had the same powers as his 616 counterpart because, if simply being a huge fat guy was enough to be considered a mutant then there sure are a lot of mutants in 'real life'. "

I am so stoked and Happy that it will beat The Dark Knight. I am happy Ii predictated this my brother lost the bet LoL
    I am most definitely a WONDER WOMAN FAN!!

I wanted far far less Black Widow. Give me some real Avenger women next time, the kind with awesome powers. Other than that, I loved the movie.

I think the Avengers movie was very good. I think it was a good "comic book" movie. And I mean that as a compliment, actually. In a world where so many superhero movies are "re-imaginations" or "realistically translated" to the big screen, it was a very enjoyable to see just a straight up superhero movie. Although I do have a problem with Hollywood's tendency to unmask the heroes too much: Thor with NO helmet. Cap always fighting without his mask. Hawkeye----NEVER has a mask. etc. etc.

Out of 4 stars:

As a movie, I give it begrudgingly 3 stars (because it can't stand alone without the uninitiated already having seen the other movies)

But as a superhero movie for the already initiated, I would give it 3 1/2 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    No. That's not all he can do and the movie made that clear.
    Are you referring to his leadership? Aside from throwing his shield, which I view as hand to hand combat, he didn't do much else.

Really? What constitutes your definition of "amazing?" Because Hawkeye and Widow- while engaging in activities that were pretty impressive- weren't exactly shown to be doing stuff that was far beyond Cap's reach. Hawkeye had the benefit of his aim and his marksmanship, but Cap and Widow also had moments where they shone.
    I would say grabbing onto a glider going 100 miles an hour, dangling without dislocating your shoulder and then flying the damn thing was a bit more amazing than anything captain

Cap's scene in the train station, for instance, showed how capable he was. And the scenes where he went toe to toe with Loki, and broke up the fight with Iron Man and Thor was also suitably impressive.

I think this is more YOU thinking that Cap is the weakest guy in the battle than anything else. Besides, anyone is going to look lesser when compared to Thor and Hulk.
    He went toe to toe with Loki for about 1 minute. Loki actually knocked Cap to the ground and was about to smash his skull in. Luckily Iron Man showed up.

With an exploding arrow. Not sure how that makes Hawkeye more "powerful" than Cap.
    I never said powerful. I said amazing. That was more of an important single move that any single move Cap did in battle.

By exploiting a flaw that the designer of the portal built into the device. Nothing about her "power levels" caused her to shut down the portal, nor does it make her more "powerful" than Cap.
    When I was speaking about Black Widow and Hawkeye I wasn't talking about power levels, but the fact that they did more than he did in this battle. You misunderstand.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    Where are you getting that they "kept showing" that Cap was "downtrodden and defeated." He was a little morose at the beginning, but he seemed more pissed off about his situation than downtrodden and defeated. He never for an instance gave up, even during the darkest hour. When Coulson died, it was Tony who was more emotionally compromised than Cap. It was Cap who actually helped pull Tony out of HIS slump.
    I'm speaking to the scene where Thor helps him up and another scene before this when he's knocked down. They distinctly show Cap holding his side and looking very morose.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Hmm nod to Bendis. Explain?
    Last edited by nosocialize100; 05-06-2012 at 02:52 PM.