Do you really think so? Solaris's Avatar

Default Old Man's War by John Scalzi

Anyone heard of this book? My husband picked up a copy at the airport; he says it's a first book for the author, and a very interesting premise. He says the writing is okay, but it's the premise that's fascinating. He's still reading it, btw. Scifi.

Opinions?
    Solaris

The worst disease in our world is a lack of compassion, and the blind ignorant sense of entitlement which takes no account of sacrifices made by others that allow said individual to exist.---me

Tarma: "Surprise, youngling! Nothing learned is ever lost or wasted."

---Misty Lackey

I know only what little I've read about the book, but it's an interesting premise, interesting enough to intrigue me. I have it on my Zooba book club list. His new book, The Android's Dream (Which I've only just found out about.) sounds quite good as well.
    Last edited by Donald M.; 01-18-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

All I know is that the old man is 75, since it was one of our quiz's questions. I'll probably pick the book up if I come across it, though, because it does sound pretty intriguing.

And I can really relate to old guys now!

I enjoyed the book. It balances the action, humor and the human element very well. It also has some very Robocop/Starship Troopers(the movie)-esque moments. The book isn't satirical in the same way but some of the training sequences and alien encounter protocol stuff was very tongue in cheek.

It reminds me of The Forever War in some ways but it's a much "lighter" book. It's a pretty good read.

Yeah. It is pretty good.

Veteran Member

Bought it, read it, liked it, am currently reading the sequel, The Ghost Brigades.

Animation & Illustration

Just picked it up because of an author interview over at Dragonpage, and so far I'm diggin' it.

Very reminiscent of Starship Troopers, but Scalzi has been very upfront about Heinlein's influence. I like the premise quite a bit, too... looks like I got a new series to catch up on (woo-hoo!!)
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

I loved the book. I borrowed it from a friend after he ordered it from the Science Fiction Book Club, 50 pages into it I knew I needed my own copy. The premise is great, the characters are very human, the plot is definitely more character driven than story driven and it moves along at a good pace-not aimlessly meandering around for no reason.

It's a really great book in my opinion, so I ordered it and it's two sequels "The Ghost Brigades" and "The Last Colony" from the SFBC, just have to find time to read them now. :D
    Respect should be given until it deserves to be withheld; Trust is earned.

Animation & Illustration

Yeah, having finished Old Man's War in about a day (kept pickin' it up to read a chapter when I shoulda been working), I'm hooked. Definitely going out to get the next two in the set.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio