Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kakitamike View Post
    I've always kind of had my feet squarely planted in Batman fandom over Superman (or super powers at all, when it comes to DC) but I really enjoyed Action Comics #1 as part of the comixology 12 days give away.

That being said, I've been thinking about adding one 'super' title to my reading list in the new 52. Is Action comics the obvious front runner? Between that and superman, supergirl, wonderwoman, jla, is there something people would recommend if I had to pick one?
    I'm not reading Supergirl but out of the rest Wonder Woman is the best by far, no question asked. I would recommend the first Action Comics trade though. I loved that first arc. The series reads much better in trade. Stay away from Justice League if you want great writing but try it if you want great art. The first year of Superman should be avoided like the plague but the new team is okay. The art is great and I love the tone (it's what I wanted from Superman comics all this time) but the writing is pretty bad. Too much exposition and bad dialogue and characterizations.

I mentioned wonder woman as kind of filler, but it's good to hear that's a great book. That'll probably be the one i add. Picking up action in trade form sounds like a plan.
    Reading: All New X-men, Batman, Cable+X-force, Harley Quinn, Morning Glories, Sex, Sexy Criminals, Uncanny X-men, Walking Dead, X-men
    Like gum? yumyumgum.com

Heys Guys wanted to ask are their any books that Shows how Superman Deals with Tough situations?What i mean by tough is....well like such sex slave trafficking, Child molesters.....things in that nature. I ask because I love Sups but when it comes to stuff like this...I find it hard to think what he would do in theses situations. I apologize if this Offends anyone at all

Also are there any good archs or trades with Sups without his powers saving the world, beating Super Villains ect.

Thanks in Advance guys.

Superman for all Seasons v Birthright?

Hey guys,

have been getting into Superman a lot recently and cant decide which of these two books to get.

I have got Superman True Brit and Red Son both as well as both the new 52 titles (and Supergirl).

Ive started to list down some older titles i am going to get like The Death of Superman, The Return of Superman and Kingdom Come but dont want to have several origin books.

Which of these two would you recommend the most?

Quote Originally Posted by Muldwych View Post
    Superman for all Seasons v Birthright?

Hey guys,

have been getting into Superman a lot recently and cant decide which of these two books to get.
    For All Seasons has the better art. Birthright has the better story.

Hey, guys.

Just wondering: if I'm looking to get into Superman books for the first time, would The Man of Steel run be a good start? Or are there better runs to start with? I'm really trying to read good Supes stories right now, but have no idea where to start.
    "Remember that one time during the fight when it looked like you might actually win? No? Me neither." Spider-Man

I think the current run of Action should be picked up, I would track down the Lobdell Superman comics and sign on. I'm getting Man of Steel when it comes out.

I am also counting down to the Gil Kane and Jose Luis Garcia Lopez trades coming out. Its thirty years old but I can't wait.

Hey, I have been reading mainly Marvel but i decided to get some DC and bought the Geoff Johns Green Lantern run and i have also just purchased

- Superman: For All Seasons
    - Superman: Birthright
    - Superman: Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?
    - Lex Luthor: Man Of Steel
    - Kingdom Come
    - Superman: Red Son
    - Superman: All Star Superman
    - Superman: Up Up And Away
    - Superman: Last Son
    - Superman: Brainiac
    - Superman: Secret Origin

I was wondering if there was anything else i could add to that that is considered important Superman stories?

I didn't bother with the Man Of Steel from John Byrne mainly due to i haven't thought much of anything i have read from him so i decided to start from Birthright.

Any advice would be appreciated

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by z1co80 View Post
    Hey, I have been reading mainly Marvel but i decided to get some DC and bought the Geoff Johns Green Lantern run and i have also just purchased

- Kingdom Come

I was wondering if there was anything else i could add to that that is considered important Superman stories?

I didn't bother with the Man Of Steel from John Byrne mainly due to i haven't thought much of anything i have read from him so i decided to start from Birthright.

Superman and the Men of Steel is pretty good. Not as good as All Star (best Superman story ever) or Morrison's Bateork but it managed to make a tale that's been done to death (Superman's origin story) feel fresh and new. You can skip the rest of the run though.

- Kingdom Come

A solid, solid haul.

Since you got "Lex Luthor: Man of Steel", be sure to look into "Superman: For Tomorrow", by the same writer. The two have a very similar 'vibe' to them.

Depending on the lengths you want to go to to track down the level best Superman stuff, you might think about picking up the "Across the Universe: Alan Moore" trade, which contains two very awesome Superman stories: For the Man Who Has Everything and DC Comics Presents 85 (going by memory there), which is a Superman/Swamp Thing crossover.

http://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-St.../dp/1401209270

It is very much worth your time.

Other than that, you should pick up the TPBs of the current Action Comics run by Grant Morrison, Rags Morales, et al. Best Superman story since All Star Superman, by far.

Finally, only tangentially related, you might think of picking up "Superman: Secret Identity". It's a beautiful book that's about what might happen if a boy named Clark Kent got powers in the 'real world', after years of being teased about having the same name as Superman. I know that might not sound like the most appealing high concept ever, but it's absolutely wonderful, and incredibly heartfelt. It's written by Kurt Busiek, with art by Stuart Immonen.

Well, enjoy!
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    A solid, solid haul.

Since you got "Lex Luthor: Man of Steel", be sure to look into "Superman: For Tomorrow", by the same writer. The two have a very similar 'vibe' to them.

Depending on the lengths you want to go to to track down the level best Superman stuff, you might think about picking up the "Across the Universe: Alan Moore" trade, which contains two very awesome Superman stories: For the Man Who Has Everything and DC Comics Presents 85 (going by memory there), which is a Superman/Swamp Thing crossover.

http://www.amazon.com/DC-Universe-St.../dp/1401209270

It is very much worth your time.

Other than that, you should pick up the TPBs of the current Action Comics run by Grant Morrison, Rags Morales, et al. Best Superman story since All Star Superman, by far.

Finally, only tangentially related, you might think of picking up "Superman: Secret Identity". It's a beautiful book that's about what might happen if a boy named Clark Kent got powers in the 'real world', after years of being teased about having the same name as Superman. I know that might not sound like the most appealing high concept ever, but it's absolutely wonderful, and incredibly heartfelt. It's written by Kurt Busiek, with art by Stuart Immonen.

Well, enjoy!
    Hey thanks for the suggestions

I have Secret Identity on my want list but it is a hard book to find for a reasonable price. I love Busiek's Avengers run and his Thunderbolts was good too so Secret Identity is definitely on my list. I was very unsure about getting Lex Luthor: Man Of Steel simply because i hate Azzarello's Banner story but after checking Amazon i noticed they are bringing Superman For Tomorrow as one collection in february so i will wait for that rather than get the two volumes, I see they get very mixed reviews.

Action comics i will take a look at too.

BANNED

I was very unsure about getting Lex Luthor: Man Of Steel simply because i hate Azzarello's Banner story but after checking Amazon i noticed they are bringing Superman For Tomorrow as one collection in february so i will wait for that rather than get the two volumes, I see they get very mixed reviews.
    It isn't a good move to judge Azzarello by one book as he's a very hit or miss writer. When he hits it he gives you very good stories with great characterizations and tone/setting but when he missses it's some of the most generic boring shit I've read. Just look at the books he's writing now. Wonder Woman is one of DC's best books right now but his Wacthmen stuff is pathetic, dull and just plain awful. And by that note Lex Luthor MoS is fantastic but For Tomorrow is terrible (at least the first volume).

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

I have Secret Identity on my want list but it is a hard book to find for a reasonable price. I love Busiek's Avengers run and his Thunderbolts was good too so Secret Identity is definitely on my list.
    Thanks for the kind words!

SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY will be back in print this April. Hope you like it when you read it!

kdb
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Thanks for the kind words!

SUPERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY will be back in print this April. Hope you like it when you read it!

kdb
    I am sure i will.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    It isn't a good move to judge Azzarello by one book as he's a very hit or miss writer. When he hits it he gives you very good stories with great characterizations and tone/setting but when he missses it's some of the most generic boring shit I've read. Just look at the books he's writing now. Wonder Woman is one of DC's best books right now but his Wacthmen stuff is pathetic, dull and just plain awful. And by that note Lex Luthor MoS is fantastic but For Tomorrow is terrible (at least the first volume).
    You may be right, I'll make a decision on Superman For Tomorrow after i read Lex Luthor: Man Of Steel.

I read somewhere that For Tomorrow didn't make much sense considering what was happening with Superman at the time. What are the following books like if you don't mind taking the time to answer.

- Superman: The Legion Of Superheroes
    - Superman: Earth One
    - Superman: Earth Two
    - New Krypton 1-4
    - Last Stand Of New Krypton 1-2

Thanks

I am sure i will.

You may be right, I'll make a decision on Superman For Tomorrow after i read Lex Luthor: Man Of Steel.

I read somewhere that For Tomorrow didn't make much sense considering what was happening with Superman at the time. What are the following books like if you don't mind taking the time to answer.

- Superman: The Legion Of Superheroes
    This was a good Superman story and a good all around story. As a Legion fan I didn't love it, but it did a nice job of things all around. Recommended.

- Superman: Earth One
    I didn't care for this one. Arguably personal taste? I don't know, but I thought the quality of the work here was very low.

- Superman: Earth Two
    Do you perhaps mean Superman Earth One v2? The second installment of the story started in Superman Earth One v1? By the same creative team (JMS and Shane Davis)? See above.

- New Krypton 1-4
    I wouldn't recommend it.

- Last Stand Of New Krypton 1-2
    See above.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/