Default What is more comfortable? Tv or computer?

Do you like watching anime better on the computer or tv?

I like watching anime better on my TV 'cuz my computer has a flat screen and I keep falling off.

...sorry, couldn't resist...:D

lost in the cyber dungeon The Xenos's Avatar

Well, I don't think that's fair because right now the best TV in my house is actually a medium sized flat screen wide screen LCD computer monitor. Playing DVDs on it looks better than the flat screen regular old tube TV our DVD player is hooked up to.
    Xenos

I generally prefer watching fansubs, because I prefer my anime subbed (helps me practice Japanese!) and the hard-coded fansubs tend to be prettier than the yellow subs you get off the DVD player.

So...computer.

Um.. yeah. That fansubs are FREE, unlike those costly hideous yellow subtitles, I'm sure doen't hurt your eyes either.

C'mon. You're actually complaining about the yellow subtitles aren't pretty enough? Quit being cheap.

Also, if you want to practice Japanese, try wathcing it without any subtitles. Oh, wait. You can't do that with a fansub.

Funny, just saw a wonderful subtitled movie tonight with a bunch of anime fans (Pan's Laberynth) and here I am complaing about fansubs again. Though I did just delete a bunch of old ones off my computer too. I was tempted to keep Genshiken for comparison, but I've got too many files on my computer anyway.

I'm trying to get rid of old fansubbed stuff on my comptuer and just have stuff on legit US DVD. I'm not even bothering with CD copies of fansubs for comparison reasons anymore. Just don't have the room or time to sort them. Though the old Hellsing fansub with the bad translation of 'Devil Shed' might be a keeper. Heh heh.

Though, agian, I'm playing my DVDs on my/my dad's flat LCD monitor because it's the best one in the house right now.
    Xenos

TV is more comfortable in a direct physical sense, but since the internet is still the only place I can get anime regularly without spending insane amounts of money, I end up watching it by the computer anyway.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Watch My Finger. BloodRedSandman's Avatar

When I am grinding on an MMORPG, I would be using my other computer. Otherwise I have a media centre attached to my TV to watch anime on.

I do find that a lot of the fan subs are better than the offical english releases.
    Last edited by BloodRedSandman; 01-15-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    Um.. yeah. That fansubs are FREE, unlike those costly hideous yellow subtitles, I'm sure doen't hurt your eyes either.

C'mon. You're actually complaining about the yellow subtitles aren't pretty enough? Quit being cheap.
    I do buy quite a bit, for your information. I have easily well over a thousand dollars' worth of stuff either in my room or loaned out to others. Perhaps you shouldn't judge whether someone is a thief or not by a single post on the Interweb.
    Also, if you want to practice Japanese, try wathcing it without any subtitles. Oh, wait. You can't do that with a fansub.
    Gee. You're right. I can't just listen to the audio and attempt to keep my focus on the images instead of the text. My four semesters of college Japanese are quite enough for me to understand 100% of the Japanese dialogue, rather than the 50% someone might understand me to interpret. Whatever was I thinking?

Nefarious Cartoonist

TV, cause DVD's look kind of fuzzy on my computer, and the sounds better.

Sorry if I was critical, raikage. Just kinda sensative to excessive complaints about DVDs and insistance of fansubs being better. Fansubs are nice temporarily, but I just don't see them beating DVDs once they come out. I've just heard so many arguments that I think are unfair to DVDs. Now that you've said more, I get where you're coming from.

Actually, as for the original question. rethining it, the funny thing is I don't know what to call my monitor. It's a monitor... and a TV. Right now I got both my computer and my Wii hooked up to it. It also can take coaxial TV. Actually, it takes component, composite, and S-video too.

So my TV is also used for my computer. My dad bought it for an extra TV to hook up in his room. He was thinking of runing cable TV from the kitchen to the room, but he's yet to do that. So right now, it's serving it's function as a monitor.

My set up is actually the computer I'm typing on (the home computer) facing the computer I brought home from school when I moved back for the year. That one, with the better graphics card and games and larger HD and all, gets the better monitor. I got them both on a network to transfer files, so if something is wide screen, that goes to the better monitor/TV rather than the more regular monitor, not that it's a bad one either.

For example, I admit I was naughty and downloaded a fansub of the liscened Hellsing Ultimate ep 2. Though I counter that by saying I also got the Hellsing Ultimate deluxe DVD with figure and all that. If they do that for ep 2, I'm getting the deluxe DVD too. Anyway, I moved the file to the computer with the better monitor/TV. Also good for the DVD of ep 1 and the bonus DVD.

Actually, I think my computer's video card has S-video output in addition to the regular monitor cord I'm using now. My dad said he might have an extra S-video cord somewhere. Does anyone think it's worth finding it and setting it up?
    Xenos

Computer for me the tv is becomeing obsolite the computer is just taking over.
    "Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own."
    Bruce Lee

I prefer to sit in my living room and watch a nice big screen. But now days the line between TV and PC has blur almost to the point of nonexistence. There are a number of ways to watch downloadable content on the television. You can use the 360 to buy High-Def content, you can mod an old X-Box to view videos from the internet, you could network your computer and television together or you could buy a combo set. Just announce is Apple TV a device that let's you use iTunes on your TV. Also at CES there was a number of set top boxes such as the Sling Catcher(spelling?) that would let you watch ineternet video on a regular TV.
    Broadcast OTA = Free TV
    Basic Cable = Low Cost TV
    Premium Cable = Mid Cost TV
    PPV = High Cost TV
    OK!?!
    Wild Card
    My DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Xenos View Post
    Sorry if I was critical, raikage. Just kinda sensative to excessive complaints about DVDs and insistance of fansubs being better. Fansubs are nice temporarily, but I just don't see them beating DVDs once they come out. I've just heard so many arguments that I think are unfair to DVDs. Now that you've said more, I get where you're coming from.
    All is forgiven. There will be no bitterness in this little pocket of the Internet. :)

To be honest, though, I prefer the fansubs of something like Azumanga Daioh over the DVD release because the fansubs tend to throw in tons of cultural information, explaining the joke.

The official US release, choosing to not clutter up the screen with giant blobs of text (understandable) puts all the cultural references into an insert, which keeps the screen clear but makes someone flip back and forth between what's happening on-screen and the little booklet.

Otherwise, though, official releases have better quality video, better audio, and better translation (they have access to the written script, the fansubbers go off what they hear).

TV. I hate watching them on the computer because, 1) it's smaller, and 2) it's in my kitchen next to some french doors and it gets COLD in there!!! >_<