Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cable Arc = Too many questions to answer?

*Warning: SPOILERS*

Hi all, new to these forums and all. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the whole Cable arc. While I think this stands as a good arc by itself, I feel that it leaves WAY too many questions, enough so that I don't think one more issue can answer them all without overwhelming the reader. Among these include:

1. Nature of adamantium. Cable lost his healing factor, so it would be assumed the poisonous adamantium should've killed him, but he's still alive. The fact that the metal is poisonous is the central reason why Wolverine was the only mutant able to get it done successfully (along with Sabretooth) in the MU. If it turns out not to be the case in UM, then...what makes it unique?

2. Speaking of healing factor, how did he lose it? how did he lose his other arm? who's the "they" he talks about?

3. What exactly HAPPENED in the future that led Cable to wanna kill Prof X?

4.. at this point we can safely conclude that he is, indeed, wolverine from the future. Why did he change his name to Cable?

5. not a question, just an opinion. the "i love jean" from prof X really came out of left field IMO

there's probably more questions, but i think these are the ones that stand out.

i hope these issues get resolved in a satisfying way, and hope kirkman doesn't just sweep it aside. does anyone else feel this way?

6: Why is Cable taller than Wolverine?

Welcome to CBR. It's a good first post. So good, in fact, that I don't know if I have any answers.

As far as the healing factor, well, maybe adamantium isn't poisonous. Maybe Wolverine and Sabretooth just needed healing factors to survive the "installation" procedure. Once it was in, though, they were fine.

Please bring me my no-prize.

In the future, he was a government operative of some sort. Perhaps they changed his name.

Oh yeah, I don't think adamantium is poisonous in the Ultimate universe?

Doesn't Hammerhead have adamantium for his skull? At this point I doubt it is poisonous.

I loved Ultimate X-Men, and I think this arc has taken its toll on me. I have the same questions you raised, but tried to look away. The one thing that really bugged me was Prof. X declaring his love for Jean. Where DID that come from?? And the way it was presented in the last 2 pages of the issue just felt weird too.

yes...why IS cable taller than wolverine? haha i missed that one!

i think these questions would would work in a 5-6 issue arc, but considering there's only one more left, i think it explains why issues 79 and 80 are appropriately named The Aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky View Post
    Because Logan is not supposed to be short in the Ultimate Universe. He's more Hugh Jackman-like.

Seems like the artists often forget that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky View Post
    Simple. In the future Logan gets implants like Griff in Back to the Future 2. ;)
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

Quote Originally Posted by rwsmith View Post

Seems like the artists often forget that, though.

Thank goodness.

WARNING: this could sound repetitive
    So i know that some people are upset with the whole Xavier loving Jean thing, but I don't think it is Kirkman's fault.

Just hear me out, but I think think Xavier first started developing feelings for Jean during Bendis' run. Remember when Jean was in her room talking to someone but we didn't know who? (it is not the phoenix because the text bubbles were white) I think it was Xavier which makes since because he says "The professer is here for you, and so am I." Meaning that as a teacher Xavier is there for Jean, but also as a person/lover. This might sound stretched to some of you, but if that wasn't Bendis' orignal plan I could see Kirkman pulling a recton and saying it was Xavier.

Then in Vaughn's run, Xavier sinced flip back and forth with feelings because he would get angry whenever Jean called him Charles. I would say Jean had developed some feelings for Xavier, but he would try and deny his "love" for her and tried to keep a student/teacher relationship.

Leave it to Kirkman to tie everything together, but this probably has been an ongoing plot line. Remember the "Colossus being homosexual" plot started during Millar's run but wasn't fully revealed till Vaughn's.

So there it is, some of you might think I am on crack but oh well. Just remember that the Ultimate Xaver is not perfect at all, and has made questionable decisions in the past. Personally I would like to see Xavier continue a relationship with Jean and they leave the school together. It disgusts me, but it would keep me very interested. Believe it or not, there are many cases when teachers think they are in "love" with their students.

Um whats with those little Gremlins Cable was talking about when he had Jean prisoner? Is that a part of a story I missed or is it meant to show that Cable is bonafide insane or loosing his mind? Is Jean supposed to turn into the Goblin Queen in the future maybe? Or perhaps ultimate Cable just loads up on LSD before a big fight. Wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
    Um whats with those little Gremlins Cable was talking about when he had Jean prisoner? Is that a part of a story I missed or is it meant to show that Cable is bonafide insane or loosing his mind? Is Jean supposed to turn into the Goblin Queen in the future maybe? Or perhaps ultimate Cable just loads up on LSD before a big fight. Wierd.
    The Goblins have been around for a few Arcs now. Cable cant actually see them i dont think, doesnt the line go something like "when you use your telekenesis, do you see Goblins doing all the work? (emphasis mine)

implying that Jean sees them acting out her powers, if you will. I agree, its probably the beginning of the Ultimate Goblin Queen arc. Its been done pretty well so far, we've seen the Goblins quite alot but no real mention of them..

I think a lot of your questions relate to why I havn't liked Kirkman's run. In Cable arc particularly, Kirkman seems to be using a lot of shock tactics. The most offensive being Rogue getting her arm blown off only so we could watch it regrow in seconds.

I doubt most of your questions have answers. They're just shock tactics.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, in which case I'd say Kirkman could improve his storytelling skills a bit.