Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What are some BAD (as in not good) titles that Vertigo has had or currently has?

I don't have very many titles from the Vertigo imprint (just Otherside and We3), but from what everyone tells me at my local shop, it seems like Vertigo can do no wrong with every title being spectacular.

I don't believe that. Vertigo must have at least one bad title. We can all name at least one bad title from Marvel, DC's other imprints, Image and all their imprints, but I have yet to hear about a bad title from Vertigo.

Note: The title must be bad across the board. Not just a single opinion, but more of unanimous call.

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

I don't like the title that Jiminez is working on (Otherworld). Like, at all. I think that the characters are bland and one-dimensional, the art is cluttered and unreadable, and the story uninteresting. I bought the first four issues and was pretty pissed off, so I took them back to the store for an exchange, something that I rarely do.

I don't like Fables either, but I can't say that it's a BAD title. There are some various one-shots and original graphic novels that aren't great. Plenty of Sandman spinoffs aren't worth much either.
    Last edited by stealthwise; 01-08-2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: clarification
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

Extra Terrestial Lifeform Bazooka Tooth's Avatar

i didnt enjoy book of magic.

Yeah, Otherworld was a disappointment. It really felt like it could've been something, but failed to deliver.

Another one that I read 'cause I got it bundled free with Otherworld from eBay was Mnemnevore (sp?).

Again, it had potential, but ended up being a boring and forgettable horror-ish title.

Wow. Never heard of those. People must do a good job keeping those a secret...but then again, I don't know about very many Vertigo titles. >_>

I don't think Fables or Books of Magic fit the criteria.

Maybe The Filth?

A Boy Called Monk@ www.aboycalledmonk.smackjeeves.com/
    Daily Comic Strip

I'm with whoever already said Fables. I read the first arc and keep coming back to it every now and again for an issue or two to see if it has caught up in quality to all the rave reviews, but still don't see it. I'm actually surprised that people are calling that one out on this thread; I honestly thought I was the only one that didn't like it.

I also don't see much to like in DMZ (only read that first arc). Seemed like it was all about setting without much of a story or any engaging characters to carry it forward.

But if it's a bad series that is universally panned, I think that you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that's enjoying the current Deadman series. I'm surprised cancelation hasn't been announced yet.

If you don't like Fables or DMZ, then I can't imagine there's anything out there that you would like.

So somehow those two books encompass everything? Well argued.

Not that your substance-free, reactionary post deserves it, but here's a list of current Vertigo stuff that I actually like:

Hellblazer
    100 Bullets
    Scalped
    American Virgin
    Y the Last Man
    Loveless
    Last edited by MrBeebs37; 01-09-2007 at 09:08 AM.

I don't think Vertigo has been bad lately, but not a lot of books have really caught my interest - I wanted to like American Virgin, Testament, and DMZ, but none of them grabbed me. Ditto Fables, though it's a bit better; not bad by any objective standards.

On the other hand, I read the first issue of Otherworld and thought it was a mess. The first issue of the new Sandman Mystery Theatre was pretty bad, too - murky art that wasn't remotely suited to covering an action sequence, and a vague story.

Vertigo has had a great deal of poor titles, including Dick Foreman's Black Orchid, Rachel Pollack's Doom Patrol, Jerry Prosser's Animal Man, the wildly inconsistent The Dreaming (which sunk to just bad when Caitlin Kiernan took over full time), Ann Nocenti's Kid Eternity, the Phantom Stranger makeover by Alisa Kwitney, many of the Sandman spin-off minis (thinking primarily of Bast, The Girl Who WOuld Be Death, and Petrefax), most of Ted McKeever's Vertigo projects, almost the entire V2K event (with Totems as its nadir, and 4 Horsemen as the only true bright spot in a black hole), and a lot of mini series and one-shots that I can barely remember.

All in all, I'd say Vertigo bats about .750, Hall of Fame numbers, but nowhere near perfect. These days it's clear that Deadman and SMT: The Sleep of Reason are the worst of the bunch, but Loveless is starting to do less and less for me. Also, the starts of both Scalped and Crossing Midnight haven't sold me yet, but I have faith in both Jason Aaron and Mike Carey, so I'll stick around for a while.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 01-09-2007 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Linton View Post
    I don't think Fables or Books of Magic fit the criteria.

Maybe The Filth?
    Blasphemy! That's one of my all-time favorites from Morrison. If we're listing his worst Vertigo effort here, then let's go with Seaguy instead.

Agreed with Mnemnevore. I thought that was going to end up being a lot better than it turned out. Pretty underwhelming.

It's a bit soon, after just one issue, to call SMT: Sleep of Reason "clearly, one of the worst," yes? Although I agree about Deadman; that's not a very good book.

Most of the ones I would list as "worst" have already been mentioned (the majority of Sandman spinoffs except for Lucifer, the V2K thing, non-Gaiman Black Orchid, etc.). I like the majority (75-80%) of Vertigo titles, though, which I certainly can't say for any other comics line.
    Last edited by brundlefly; 01-09-2007 at 09:27 AM.
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something. - Robert Heinlen

Smoke'em If You Got'em Mr. Palmer's Avatar

I think that you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that's enjoying the current Deadman series.
    Not too hard-pressed. I'm enjoying it.

And count me as another who doesn't dig Fables. I like the Jack spin-off, but the core title does nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by brundlefly View Post
    Blasphemy!
    It's a bit soon, after just one issue, to call SMT: Sleep of Reason "clearly, one of the worst," yes? Although I agree about Deadman; that's not a very good book.
    Very poor first effort, then, with subpar storytelling, primarily from the artist. I can't see it improving. It already had a lot to overcome in being titled Sandman Mystery Theatre, one of Vertigo's best series, but the first issue hit nowhere near that high bar. Wesley Dodds also had a very fitting and moving send-off at the start of James Robinson's JSA, so this "last adventure" is going to have to be impressive, and so far, it hasn't been. And the new "Sandman" is barely there at all.

With other recent #1s from Vertigo, such as Scalped, Crossing Midnight, and even DMZ, I felt that the while the books were far from great, there was enough interesting elements in them to make me come back for more. (DMZ paid off for me with issue #4 "Ghosts".) SMT: Sleep of Reason made me want my money back, and unless I see some glowing praise on this board or elsewhere (noting how it's improved from its weak first issue), I'm done with it, and I always give a new book from Vertigo a few issues to find its groove.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBeebs37 View Post
    So somehow those two books encompass everything? Well argued.

Not that your substance-free, reactionary post deserves it, but here's a list of current Vertigo stuff that I actually like:

Hellblazer
    100 Bullets
    Scalped
    American Virgin
    Y the Last Man
    Loveless
    Chill? You don't like my post, ignore it. I don't think I was being too serious (sounds like hyperbole when I read it), though I do like those two books a lot.

AND, I'm definitely not an extreme conservative or opposed to progress/liberalism. Not that's offensive.
    Last edited by sgt pepper; 01-09-2007 at 12:39 PM.