Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Superman needs a definitive female villain.

Batman's had interesting confrontations and interactions with Catwoman on a pretty much regular basis for well over half a century. Superman, though, hasn't ever faced a regularly recurring female threat. Which isn't too surprising; offhand, I can't think of a single really notable female Superman villain. I like Maxima and Faora, and Ursa from Superman II...but I don't think that they're tier-one villains. And so, I think that a memorable recurring female villain for Superman is long overdue.

My ideal major female villain for Superman is a sorceress, 'cause Superman's particularly vulnerable to magic, and besides, really, he's got more than enough technology-oriented enemies already. I've been lazily looking into the history of DC's female magic-users online from time to time today, trying to find a magic-using female villain with a simple origin, straightforward motiviations, and powers that aren't too silly and/or complex, but so far, other than Circe (who I prefer as a Wonder Woman villain), I've not found anybody I like too much. :/

Anyway - do you think that Superman needs a memorable female foe, and if so, what kind of villain would you like her to be?

Gone

What I liked about Maxima was that she added color to the mix.
    She was not only a villain (- hey, stay with me :) )but also a potential love interest.

We need another one of those and preferably someone whoīs an actual threat to him.

A sorceress could do that but we already have MXYPTLK handling the magic angle.

Male..female..Superman needs better villains in general

Gone

True, Toyman or MXYPTLK donīt have a tenth of the coolness Batmanīs rogues have.

For the longest time I had high hopes in Darkseid but alas the pod people replaced him for Jobberseid.

Besides Circe , there's also Morgaine le Fey who mostly battle Demon and Wonder woman. She has also appeared a couple of times in the JLU cartoon if you may remember. In the comics , she once enslave superman to do her bidding in camelot times in the saga "Time and time again".

For female foes of superman , there's maxima , silver banshee , Blaze (it's been a long while since she has appeared which is kind of a waste as she's a good villain) , puzzler , livewire , the female parasite which is all i can think of right now.

Superman doesn't need more foes , just need to establish the villains he has with better credentials instead of making them look like crap. They can also bring some villains from the pre-crisis era to post-crisis.

Back in the Sixties, Superboy tangled with the Emerald Empress a few times in the Legion series. As originally written, she was a murderous sociopath who was nevertheless pretty hot (especially as drawn by Curt Swan), had an interest in the Boy of Steel, and possessed a weapon (the Emerald Eye), that was certainly powerful enough to pose a serious threat to him. Plus she often carried Kryptonite, and seemed to enjoy using it.

Her history with Supes has probably been retconned out of existence by now, but that could always be restored, and I wouldn't mind seeing her turn up in the present century looking to complicate his life.

Star Sapphire would also make an interesting opponent.

Emerald empress has always been a legion foe , a member of the fatal five. The only time superman fought her and the rest of the fatal five post crisis (or at least a hardlight holographic representation) was just before OWAW in superman 171.

If anything , i would love to see a fatal five/JLA clash maybe in a legion/JLA crossover , the fatal five is certainly more than a match for the JLA.

As for Star Sapphire , the last one was killed by the spectre.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Anyway - do you think that Superman needs a memorable female foe
    Not really, no. But then again its a matter of the chicken and the egg: he needs better foes in general, and THEN we get to the better male or female foes.

Besides, off the top of my head there's Encantadora and Livewire, so its not like the writers aren't trying (and luckily they don't believe in borrowing villains from other heroes). Both Encantadora and Livewire are grey areas, though (while evil, both do have the capacity for good and aren't too petty), so if you mean someone PURE evil a la Darkseid, I guess a new villainess could be created for that function, despite seeming kind of obvious.

EDIT: Almost forgot the female Parasite.

To be fair, there aren't that many definitive female villains, period. After Catwoman, Cheetah, Talia and maybe Elektra, the pool of female arch-villains starts to run shallow.

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy Boy View Post
    To be fair, there aren't that many definitive female villains, period. After Catwoman, Cheetah, Talia and maybe Elektra, the pool of female arch-villains starts to run shallow.
    What about:

Emma Frost
    Poison Ivy
    Harley Quinn
    Star Sapphire (as mentioned above)
    Shiva
    White Rabbit... ok, now I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

More like punching your way through...:D
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthwise View Post
    What about:

Emma Frost
    Poison Ivy
    Harley Quinn
    Star Sapphire (as mentioned above)
    Shiva
    White Rabbit... ok, now I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Like i said , Blaze should make a return. She's a supernatural being , powerful enough to hurt superman and rules her own corner of hell dimension.

Gone

Thatīs another reason why I love anime/manga.

Male or female, you always have OODLES of memorable villains to pick from.

Senior Member The Mirrorball Man's Avatar

Maxima, Livewire, Silver Banshee, the Female Furies... I don't think that Superman's female villains are any worse than his male villains.
    Check out my deviantART gallery!

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    What I liked about Maxima was that she added color to the mix.
    She was not only a villain (- hey, stay with me :) )
    Nnnnooooope, sorry, can't.

She wasn't a villain. She was a slightly pushier Lana Lang that eventually joined the Justice League.

Superman's female "villains" are disgracefully pathetic, and it certainly doesn't help matters when all of the recently introduced ones were turned into jokes OYL. Puzzler? Defeated with a trash can. Livewire and Silver Banshee? Non-threats defeated by a depowered Superman despite the fact that they were teamed up with fellow non-threats like Bloodsport.