Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default will this ruin spidey

If mj is killed do you think this will lead to worse spidey stories

Way too late to ruin Spidey.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Quote Originally Posted by coke & comics View Post
    I agree... as it's impossible to "ruin" a fictional character.

Just because you don't like the direction the stories are going does not mean the character is "ruined". If he could survive the clone saga and wearing a hoodie this is but a drop in the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by spidervenom View Post
    No... but I think it would ruin MJ stories...

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    No... but I think it would ruin MJ stories...
    Well, she really hasn't had any good ones for the longest time anyway.

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

No, I don't think it would lead to worse Spidey stories. I certainly hope that MJ isn't killed off but if the worst were to happen, it could potentially lead to better Spider-Man stories...as long as the writers handle it well.

After all, angst has always been the fuel that Spider-Man runs on IMO.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City • Kick-Ass 3 • Star Wars: Dark Times • Superior Spider-Man

Yeah, they wrote him four different ways at once this year and then did an unmasking which didn't make any sense. They never did anything with it, either. It was sad that I just came by the board by chance after looking at a preview of the next issue and realized that it didn't seem like Peter Parker or Spider-man at all anymore.

I don't get why they'd kill her. They already tried this and the fans wanted her back. If Marvel wanted a "single" Spider-Man, they had that with Ben Reilly until they screwed that up by trying to say he was the REAL Spidey. Look at the current average age of comic readers. I think most of us are adults now (who else could afford the price of comics these days?). A lot of us are married now. I just don't get why they'd kill her.

Less glib answer:

No actual direction leads to bad stories. Bad writers lead to bad stories. A good writer could tell good stories with MJ, or good stories with her death.

Is her death a good idea? Probably not. She's pretty established as part of the status quo by now. Killing her will intevitably lead to her return. It could be interesting in the short term, but not really the long term.

Why the marriage was a problem to begin with. Far too rushed. Way more time was needed. Far more stories to tell with him dating MJ. Seemed like they got together and got married the next day. Short-term thinking.

Killing her doesn't fix it. Having it not happen may have helped avert the fact that Spidey stopped reading like a good continuing saga, but it's too late for that now. So keep the status quo, and tell some good stories. Or kill Mary Jane and tell some good stories. Either way, tell some good stories.
    formerly coke & comics

Whitmore: Rebirth! Sean Whitmore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xarathos View Post
    Yeah, they wrote him four different ways at once this year and then did an unmasking which didn't make any sense.
    Yes it did.

They never did anything with it, either.
    Yes they did.

It was sad that I just came by the board by chance after looking at a preview of the next issue and realized that it didn't seem like Peter Parker or Spider-man at all anymore.
    Seems like him to me.

SEAN
    This week at Comic Critics!: Nothing. We're on hiatus.

Whitmore: Rebirth! Sean Whitmore's Avatar

No actual direction leads to bad stories. Bad writers lead to bad stories. A good writer could tell good stories with MJ, or good stories with her death.
    In the end, of course, you are absolutely right. It would likely be harder to tell good stories with Peter's second love-of-his-life a corpse, but not impossible.

Why the marriage was a problem to begin with. Far too rushed. Way more time was needed. Far more stories to tell with him dating MJ. Seemed like they got together and got married the next day. Short-term thinking.
    Their on-again off-again relationship of 21 years felt rushed to you? :)

SEAN
    This week at Comic Critics!: Nothing. We're on hiatus.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Well, she really hasn't had any good ones for the longest time anyway.
    Well, to be fair the comics ARE about Spider-Man ;) and MJ is only a supporting cast member and not the star.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    It would likely be harder to tell good stories with Peter's second love-of-his-life a corpse
    I would rather they didn't kill her.

Ben, Gwen, Capt Stacey, Jean DeWolff, Harry Osborne, Ned Leeds (Am I forgetting anyone?)... that's a lot of death of people you love/like/trust to have die.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    Their on-again off-again relationship of 21 years felt rushed to you? :)

SEAN
    He dated Gwen for some 80 issues. Spent 30 issues grieving. Dated MJ another 30. He proposed; she rejected him and left.

She returns in ASM 243 or so. He's just starting to date Felicia, plus that confusion with Bannon's girlfriend and Deb Whitman had only left recently. He goes between Felicia and MJ for a while (a while is 50 issues), settles on MJ and they get married.

50 issues is not a long-time in comic book land. I saw 150 issues without, 35 with, 50 without, 30 sometimes with, sometimes not, 20 or so with, then wedding (counting months via Amazing). They could have taken more time on that one. Dated a while. Established her better. Let Felicia be long in the past. Etcetera, etcetera. I'll argue 'til the end of my days that it was poorly timed and done too soon. Now that it's happened and almost 300 issues have past, I think people should accept the marriage is part of the story (such as it is) and go from there.
    formerly coke & comics

Quote Originally Posted by spidervenom View Post
    Actually it would lead to very interesting stories, and i mean it, we can see spider man going on the edge and becoming like punisher, and brutally slaghtering acouple of the villans, actually i would really like to see a MAX spidey title.
    2007 DC League Champion! Raven, Black Alice, Gorilla Grodd, Parasite, Ray, Elasti-Girl