Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Brian Michael Bendis Interview @ Avengers Forever

Brian Michael Bendis interview focusing on the new Mighty Avengers title.

Brian Michael Bendis Interview

Q) Are there any Avengers characters that you just can't seem to fit into the title, but would love to work them in eventually?
    A) The Beast. Oh, if only we had furry blue Beast back to have fun with Simon. But his path on Astonishing X-men makes this impossible for now.
    God, I pray that when Whedon's run ends... Bendis and Cho get their wish.
    Super Hero Squad Online - Curious Mad General - Current Rank: 1300.

True Believer - Proud Purchaser Of The Marvel Heroes Ultimate Pack!

I'm hoping bendis does a lot with Ares' mythological angles- How does Hercules feel about this, for example?

Straight up Henching, yo The Purple Skull's Avatar

Q) Are there any Avengers characters that you just can't seem to fit into the title, but would love to work them in eventually?
    A) The Beast. Oh, if only we had furry blue Beast back to have fun with Simon. But his path on Astonishing X-men makes this impossible for now.
    For some reason, Bendis' answer made it seem like Beast was going to die in Astonishing X-Men. God I hope not
    Keep Calm & Hail HYDRA
    A.I.M. At Me Bro

The Traitor Game: Restless In Rapture

"I think that nostalgia is contempt for the future..."

I don't think so. Why can't nostalgia simply be remembering the past fondly? Can't the same person experience nostalgia as well as hope for the future? Instead, I would say that Bendis has displayed some contempt for the past, killing or otherwise ending the heroic careers of several Avengers during that sloppy Disassembled storyline.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    God, I pray that when Whedon's run ends... Bendis and Cho get their wish.
    Yeah I'm with you there.

Anyway, interesting interview. I especially thought the mention of Zues was interesting considerin his "death" in Ares but I'm sure he didn't really die.

this was at the end of the Q and A:

Q) In a comic book industry where the mutant titles are still very dominate, where do you see the Avengers franchise in the next few years?
    A) Where it is now!! Kicking the shit out of those mutant titles!! Don't you avengers fans see my grand scheme by now?? I got rid of all the mutants in House of M. Wiped them all away. Now we Avengers fans can rule the world bwaaahahahahaha . . . cough . . .

that made me laugh!

i had the chance to meet Bendis at a Comicon and he was really nice! He signed tonnes of books for people, and I was lucky enough to get him to sign 20 or so books for me.

He may be controversial, but I still think he's an awesome writer.

Nothing against Whedons run on X-Men (it's the only X-Men title that I'm following with any real interest these days), but I do hope they can manage to get Beast away from the X Books.

It almost boggles the mind that Bendis can get Wolverine but not Beast. Though in a lot of ways, I think Beast is more important to the X team than the Avengers... Avengers have plenty of scientists on their team.

But Beast was just so much funner as an Avengers, especially paired up with Simon. Sometime down the line, they gotta get Beast back.

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Good interview, and the last answer was hilarious.

About Beast, i don't want him in the Avengers, he doesn't add much to a team with 300 gods, class 100s and scientists as smart or more than he is, while in the X-men he's essential, they wouldn't do much without him. Haven't read many of that issues, so i don't care about him and Wonder Man. I prefer him with Bobby, Cyke, Warren, etc.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&¨%!

Donald M.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purple Skull View Post
    For some reason, Bendis' answer made it seem like Beast was going to die in Astonishing X-Men. God I hope not
    That's kind of what I thought too. I hope that's not what he meant, and I also hope that he can eventually get his hands on Hank so that he can be an Avenger again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Purple Skull View Post
    Well, he does say "For now", so thats a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Nothing against Whedons run on X-Men (it's the only X-Men title that I'm following with any real interest these days), but I do hope they can manage to get Beast away from the X Books.

It almost boggles the mind that Bendis can get Wolverine but not Beast. Though in a lot of ways, I think Beast is more important to the X team than the Avengers... Avengers have plenty of scientists on their team.

But Beast was just so much funner as an Avengers, especially paired up with Simon. Sometime down the line, they gotta get Beast back.
    Yeah, and i got interested in the beast again, thanks to the Xmen movie, but I'd like to see him back in the Avengers too, instead of the Xmen. Storm, Wolvie, I'd rather see them there too, mainly becasue i'm not a big Xfan anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post

I don't think so. Why can't nostalgia simply be remembering the past fondly?
    It's not a matter of remembering the past fondly... it's a matter of continually revisting the past without moving forward. How can you fondly remember something if writers are, decade after decade, using the same characterisations, costumes etc.?

Frank Cho isn't fondly remembering Simon in his dorky safari jacket... he's making it the present and the forseeable future. That's not nostalgia that's lack of growth on Cho's part and the characters'.

Can't the same person experience nostalgia as well as hope for the future?
    Experiencing it is going into a modern restaurant with a 1950's theme, playing 50's music where the waitresses wear poodle skirts and the music is Elvis, Ritchie Valens, Buddy Holly and Happy Days is playing on the TV.

But then you wak outside and get blasted by Evanesence, shows like CSI and 24 and modern clothes.

Instead, I would say that Bendis has displayed some contempt for the past, killing or otherwise ending the heroic careers of several Avengers during that sloppy Disassembled storyline.
    Yeah... that was almost 3 years ago now... time to move on some. Vision and Hawkeye are back and the only ones not are D list heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Frank Cho isn't fondly remembering Simon in his dorky safari jacket... he's making it the present and the forseeable future. That's not nostalgia that's lack of growth on Cho's part and the characters'.
    Sometimes characters have to go back to their basics so they can grow in new directions. Wonder Man was almost unrecognizable from the original; flying like Superman blue and wrapped in purple bubbles. A lot of writers had a chance to use him while he was like that, Geoff Johns, Chuck Austen even Busiek didn't do much with him after he finished his Scarlet Witch story. Heck, nobody used the character for almost 6 freaking years! I welcome Bendis & Cho, let them start their story. You are judging the book way before time. Besides they say they might give him a new costume so the safari jacket is not a permanent thing.
    Wonder Man, Cooler than Superman
    I thought a comedian like the Beast would naturally gravitate to a classic straight man like Simon Williams, and vice versa. They’re also both bright and intellectual. I had fun playing them off against each other. David Michelinie did great stuff with them, things I would never think of. He’s amazing with that kind of character interplay. Sure, they could co-star in a series, if you had a Michelinie or his clone writing it.-Jim Shooter

I don't think so. Why can't nostalgia simply be remembering the past fondly? Can't the same person experience nostalgia as well as hope for the future? Instead, I would say that Bendis has displayed some contempt for the past, killing or otherwise ending the heroic careers of several Avengers during that sloppy Disassembled storyline.
    I believe Bendis wants The Avengers to be not grounded by their roots made by Stan Lee. Bendis ignores relevent Avengers information to pave the path for his pet New Avengers & his upcoming Mighty Avengers. It's hardly nostalgia but continuity for it all to make sense. Bendis wants The Avengers to be something they are not.

To me, Bendis is the still the Rob Liefeld for any of his Avengers stories. He can't write anything credible because he ignores the past.