Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thougts on Gears of War

So I started playing Gears this weekend and I like the duck and hide aspect but it still feels pretty scripted. I dont feel like there is anything new here?

Thoughts?

Master of Funk! Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by comicvine View Post
    So I started playing Gears this weekend and I like the duck and hide aspect but it still feels pretty scripted. I dont feel like there is anything new here?

Thoughts?
    It is pretty linear in it's game play. The appeal of the game is its visual punch and cinematic spectacle. If you're looking for more options in the gameplay, you can try Rainbow Six Vegas, which allows you to pick several different approaches to the different scenarios.

I didn't like it all that much. I'm at a friend's crib, up at an ungodly hour, and I have a choice between Gears or PS1 games for entertainment. I'm going for the PS1.

The graphics are great, but the design could have been better and I didn't find it at all immersive. The "innovations" weren't really innovations, and I can't honestly say they even made an improvement on the duck and cover thing.
    Last edited by Leslie Lee III; 12-31-2006 at 04:31 AM.

One of the greatest FPS of all time.

Amazing graphics, fantastic controls, great cover system, and the multiplayer(especially co-op) is sublime.
    Pro Wrestling: IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

Thanks all, yeah the graphics are really nice. I'll just finish the campaign and then play online. I'm thinking that may be more fun for me.

and I can't honestly say they even made an improvement on the duck and cover thing.
    That's just crazy. You can't tell me you don't see the difference between's GoW's cover system and Splinter Cell's, MGS's or GRAW's or...anything really.

I'll just finish the campaign and then play online. I'm thinking that may be more fun for me.
    Hell, play campaign with another person. Even in split-screen it's 100x better than it already is.

And you're not playing on "casual" mode, are you?

One of the greatest FPS of all time.
    It's not 1st-person
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 12-31-2006 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    That's just crazy. You can't tell me you don't see the difference between's GoW's cover system and Splinter Cell's, MGS's or GRAW's or...anything really.
    I sure could tell the difference...I thought GoW's was fun. :p

Yeah, seriously, play the Campaign on co-op on a hard difficulty. It's tons of fun.
    Pro Wrestling: IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

It's fun, but it's a "been there, done that" feeling. Excellent graphics though...online is fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Urusai Wrangler View Post
    I sure could tell the difference...I thought GoW's was fun. :p
    I'm crap at Splinter cell, always have been, and i don't know what GRAW's stands for, but in MGS, i never felt comfortable with using cover, mainly due to the series consistantly awkward controls. In Gears, i tried not useing cover fighting the first enemy, and bit it, hard.
    Eventualy figured it out and found it easy, though the fact that my guy always seemed to charge into cover and slammed himself up against, say, a brick wall, was kinda weird.

GRAW = Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter

Excellent game.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

GoW is an awesome game, IMO. Many of the reasons have already been explained.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Thief and Archer

Do people feel there should be another difficulty level in there, or is it OK as is?

Quote Originally Posted by Subotai View Post
    Do people feel there should be another difficulty level in there, or is it OK as is?
    You mean you want it harder than INSANE? Cuz INSANE is pretty damn hard.

I love the campaign, even tho it's pretty short, the co-op more than makes up for it.

Deathmatch multiplayer, however, gets really old, really fast. All of my friends LOVE it, but I just cant get into it like they can.
    Church: So it is a sword, It just happens to function like a key in very specific situations.
    Caboose: Or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death.
    DeviantART Page
    Fade is Out Productions
    RIOT and Fade-Out! (On-Going Web Comic now on issue 3! Updated:07/05/2009)

I love GoW. The multiplayer is intense. Easily my favorite game for 360.