Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I think more than a few people on this board have some grey hair, I see no shame in it and don't like the idea of DC saying real heroes don't go grey.

Senior Member Stephane Garrelie's Avatar

The problem is that they got from "Green Lantern Hal needs grey hair. It will be realistic and cool to age him" to "Hal is too old to be Green Lantern, the fans can't identify with him: See, he haves grey hair! We needs a new, younger, Green Lantern".
    Last edited by Stephane Garrelie; 12-28-2006 at 10:21 AM.
    I follow: Batgirl, Nightcrawler (For Claremont, but i like Nauck's art too), Flash Gordon.

Retcon Punch Victim StrikeForce Albert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    This may be the reason I haven't read a new super-hero comic in about seven years.
    then why even post?

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeForce Albert View Post
    then why even post?
    I was curious.

Senior Member Stephane Garrelie's Avatar

The origin of S.H.I.E.L.D. retconned in Harras's Nick Furry vs S.H.I.E.L.D.

Decent story, great art, but bad retcon.
    I follow: Batgirl, Nightcrawler (For Claremont, but i like Nauck's art too), Flash Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I always heard that he wasn't supposed to die anyhow ? That Superboy punching the wall set things right regarding Jason Todd.
    No.... it was a phone-in vote. You paid 0.50 cents and dialed one of two numbers. The votes were very close... and Jim Aparo drew two pages... one where Batman finds Jason alive and one he dies.

The votes came in and Todd was voted to die by the fans. The margin was just a few hundred... but I've always believed winning is winning regardless of the number... one vote more means someone won and someone lost.

Todd died and should still be dead. And DC owes me 0.50 cents cause I voted for death.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post
    The Green Goblin being alive and behind the events in the Clone Saga.
    Oh HELL yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kyoto View Post
    I think more than a few people on this board have some grey hair, I see no shame in it and don't like the idea of DC saying real heroes don't go grey.

i remember the grey hair came around at a time when the character was getting kicked around by life, getting crapped on by the guardians, it just seemed to be a reminder of how dc seemed to be ready to put him to pasture. it was especially weird since none of his contemporaries had it yet. so i'm not against grey hair per se (look at reed richards for example) but in hal's case it carries alot of negative associations of how kicked around his character was in that era.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Hal's hair turned grey and it should have been a natural progression. DC I believe was saying he had been GL 10+ years and had been thru some hellious things in that period. I think when the title 1st started they wanted a physical change for Jordan and they planned to make him the grizzled veteran hero.

Now when Hal became Parallax , the grey hair dissapeared and it was like he went to a Just For Men's saloon when the power battery exploded. Now he seemingly ala Oliver Queen are de-aged and in their mid to late 30's.

The worse small retcon is how DC de-aged Oliver Queen to make him a hip cool crime fighter again. Completely removing the Mike Grell years.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Didn't he get them (the Grell years) back at the end of 'Quiver'?
    I'm pretty sure The Longbow Hunters at least has been referenced. And Shado is back as well (in the Connor Hawk mini anyway).
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Didn't he get them (the Grell years) back at the end of 'Quiver'?
    I'm pretty sure The Longbow Hunters at least has been referenced. And Shado is back as well (in the Connor Hawk mini anyway).
    I always heard the explanation that since his return his soul was washed clean and new. That his past errors or actions aren't against him. Its nice seeing Shado back in the Conner mini-series. It was between that and Immortal Iron Fist and I chose Fist since I'm on a tight budget.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    No.... it was a phone-in vote. You paid 0.50 cents and dialed one of two numbers. The votes were very close... and Jim Aparo drew two pages... one where Batman finds Jason alive and one he dies.

The votes came in and Todd was voted to die by the fans. The margin was just a few hundred... but I've always believed winning is winning regardless of the number... one vote more means someone won and someone lost.

Todd died and should still be dead. And DC owes me 0.50 cents cause I voted for death.
    Actually I thought the death vote won by less then a hundred or close to around that number, not by a few hundred though. At least that's what I remember reading. It was pretty close from what I recall from reading up on the situation.

Anyway, "Sins Past" gets my vote here. There was no need at all to crap (insert worst words) over Gwen and Peter's relationship (as well as her character) like that. Just for another Goblin makes Peter's life miserable story? It wasn't enough that he had a large part to play in killing the character but to dig the character up after what 30 years and do this to it was horrible.

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

Pasko's retconning Hal Jordan's dad into an abusive alcoholic. He explained his reasoning on the board elsewhere, but I still don't buy it, mostly because the story didn't provide enough context or consequence. Might as well have Bats's dad or Uncle Ben do the same thing.
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I always heard the explanation that since his return his soul was washed clean and new. That his past errors or actions aren't against him.
    Initially, he was. When he first came back he had a big part of his past missing.
    But at the end of Quiver he got everything back, both the good and the bad.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Initially, he was. When he first came back he had a big part of his past missing.
    But at the end of Quiver he got everything back, both the good and the bad.
    I have the end of Quiver , he's back at a younger age. Plus the years are never really brought up anymore so I believe DC's retconned it all sad to say. Even when Dinah and Ollie hooked back up , the 2 never really go into the Longbow Hunters or anything really Grell.