Page 9 of 3599 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319591095091009 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OzBat! View Post
    If he has the money to sue, he has the money to pay. My contention is that he probably doesn't have either.
    If he doesn't have the money to sue, will that stop him from doing it anyway? Coz lack of money hasn't stopped him from anything else...
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocAbsurd View Post
    That's what kills me.

This litigation has got be costing him a small fortune. Only a true shyster would be giving him such advice as 'fight in court instead of paying them off'. And I know that's exactly what he's being told.

'Course, I also know he realizes that most of us can't afford to take him to court. Which is probably why he's taking this route in the first place.

Doc 'Shyster in My Pocket' Absurd
    I think at this point its just " I'm gonna sue " and he knows the talent can't do anything. But I would say that if Gail , Chuck and the others who have claimed they are owed money don't move fast he could ( this is could ) file a bankruptcy and no one will get anything.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

It would be great if the Comic Defence fund or some similar body could jump in and sue HIM first on behalf of their members. Then we'd see just how much of a love affair with the legal system he has, or how quickly he's able to settle instead.
    OzBat!

Now with 150% more SNARK!

I promise that I understand your respect and toleration of my positions does not imply you agree with me. If you promise that my respect and toleration of your positions does not imply you have open season on mine.

Are you a Rules Lawyer? Try annoying someone who cares!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelNetzer View Post
    It's unclear how any lawyer would advise him that he has a legal issue when most of the parties involved didn't sign an NDA, and some not even the contracts. It seems more like a lot of hot air and empty threats, which is very complimentary to his true character, though time will tell.
    I think Rick's lawyer is one of those who has a fool for a client.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    If he doesn't have the money to sue, will that stop him from doing it anyway? Coz lack of money hasn't stopped him from anything else...
    He's relying on the bluff. Chuck has already confirmed he never signed an NDA, so it's all noise from Olney, signifying nothing.
    OzBat!

Now with 150% more SNARK!

I promise that I understand your respect and toleration of my positions does not imply you agree with me. If you promise that my respect and toleration of your positions does not imply you have open season on mine.

Are you a Rules Lawyer? Try annoying someone who cares!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I think at this point its just " I'm gonna sue " and he knows the talent can't do anything. But I would say that if Gail , Chuck and the others who have claimed they are owed money don't move fast he could ( this is could ) file a bankruptcy and no one will get anything.
    They're not getting anything *anyway*.

What you're suggesting sounds like a class action lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by OzBat! View Post
    It would be great if the Comic Defence fund or some similar body could jump in and sue HIM first on behalf of their members. Then we'd see just how much of a love affair with the legal system he has, or how quickly he's able to settle instead.
    Hmmmm great idea. I wonder if the non-paid have contacted the Comic Defense Fund about it ?
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

That's good, but I've got my heart set on dangling him upside down over the ledge of a building.
    " Why do stars suddenly appear, every time I drink beer ? " ~~~ Karen Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto_X View Post
    They're not getting anything *anyway*.

What you're suggesting sounds like a class action lawsuit.
    Yeah....something like that. If a pro had the money to say " Ok if you want a fuckin court battle , your gonna get one. "

Rick Olney was on my friend list at Comicspace - I used the retailer tag so a lot of creators and publishers have asked to be added.

It gave me a very minor little tingle of pleasure to boot his arse off.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Crawling Back From Hell.. Ronée's Avatar

Doc, I feel for you hun. I'm going through a divorce myself right now and due to not being paid by TightLip I had to find full time employment.... I have easily had the roughest year of my life and when I would inquire about my own payment while being one of the very few still holding on and trying to hold TLE together.. I was made to feel selfish.. as if my problems were never as vast as his. I finally just had enough.

That's my case, exactly, Ronee. I'm still sore at Mr Shires for dumping me from the SPA during my divorce and I think (in retrospect) Rick used that to his advantage, knowing full well he'd have an enemy of an enemy on his side.

Something musta been kicking the backside of my brain when it came to being so slow in the formation of the ICC. Everyone I've talked to about it loves the idea, but even the ghost of his name sent them scurrying. And I've worked so hard to get him to focus on the creativity and being grateful for them rather than expending unnecessary energy on fighting with every friend he makes. It was like slinging Jell-o against a brick wall.

I honestly had no idea you were getting the same treatment. I'm not surprised, but I am pissed off.

I know he's probably reading this; his ego simply won't let the mere mention of his name pass without some sort of glance. Just as I'm sure he's feeling betrayed. But I didn't screw so many people over and over and over.

And I certainly didn't drag a rundown, haggard, sickly single father into another pointless battle.

Doc 'Line in the Sand' Absurd
    'And if *that* doesn't leave me without a stain on my conscience, then I don't know *what* it doesn't leave me without a stain on.' -- Bertie Wooster

Have a great future, Ron' and Doc.
    Last edited by Cam63; 12-16-2006 at 05:39 PM.
    " Why do stars suddenly appear, every time I drink beer ? " ~~~ Karen Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Simone View Post
    I've been getting letters for weeks now from people who claim to have been abused financially by Rick Olney. I had originally thought, maybe the way he treated me was an anomoly, but it certainly appears to have been a long-running pattern, and as of yet, i haven't found a single person who has come forth to say he paid on time as promised. That seems very odd. Fortunately, even more of these folks are coming forward. At least we now know that all his NDA paranoia was for a good reason.

Guys like Rick Olney take advantage of people's trust and then fail to keep their promises, and then threaten to sue when the people he mistreated go public.

Fortunately, there are very few of HIM and people like the Zeus Comics guys and the Toronto Paradise con guys and the Emerald City con guys more than make up for it with their professionalism and integrity.

Gail
    I fully agree. I also like to take the time to give a great shout out to Zeus Comics. Richard and his store have shown me more professional courtesy and service than i have had in a VERY long time. I even got my books a day EARLY this week(Friday instead of Saturday). I fully recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen El View Post
    I've been trying to keep positive about the current situation I'm in, but I need to blow off a little steam, and this seems an appropriate spot, somehow.

I've been trying to get the money I'm owed for the Planet Karen minicomic. It's not a huge amount in the great scheme of things, but for someone who can barely cover her rent each month it would mean I could have a nice Christmas. I may yet see some money but the chances of it happening in time for the holiday are vanishing fast. The thing that had me bashing my head against the wall was the last email I recieved.

Having suggested that after four months it would be nice if I was paid, I was expecting some kind of breakdown of costs and profits so I'd know what the situation was (bear in mind that I know from other sources that all the comics have now been sold). What I got was "let me know how much you feel you are owed and I'll see what I can do." (underlining mine)

I was so angry and frustrated at the idea that my payment for work I'd done should be based on my feelings about it rather than any factual information that I only just now noticed that he ends with "I'll see what I can do".

I need to go bash my head against a wall some more now.
    Karen, this sucks, but when doing consignment it's been my experience that getting stiffed is normal. So far I've been stiffed by just about every shop that has consigned my books. Only Rich as Zeus has been the epitome of an honest business man for my consignments. Hell, there's two former Eisner winning shops that have been Olneying me for the better part of a year.

I pretty much write off any books for consignment as a loss and figure the exposure is worth it. Distribution for me is such a relief now that I'll no longer need to deal with the shops directly.

I'm really sorry this has happened to you. I just wanted you to know you're not alone.
    Order Toy Boy: What Happens In Vegas now!
    http://www.toyboyonline.com

"A nice melding of classic Marvel energy with a contemporary feel. Well-done!" -Mark Waid