Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Orchid

The Vicious Cabaret RickThunderclees's Avatar

Default Black Orchid

Call me what you want...

But last week was the first time I had had the pleasure of reading Gaiman's Black Orchid.

I found it very underrated. Anyone agree?
    "For relaxing times, make it Suntory time”

- Bob Harris

I loved Black Orchid. Read it for the first time myself over the summer (nicked it at a TPB sale). Great story, art, and characters, but what else would one expect from Gaiman/McKean?. Plus, I thought the use of Batman, Lex, Poison Ivy, Swamp Thing, etc. were all clever and story-appropriate, as opposed to being blatant "special guest star" appearances. Made it obvious that this was taking place in the main DCU without letting that aspect overpower the story. One of the best opening sequences for a comic (when Orchid is discovered and captured), as well.
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something. - Robert Heinlen

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

I'd say that it's very good, but ultimately beholden to Gaiman's idealization of Moore's Swamp Thing work in the 80's, and a bit distant emotionally.

It's very good for its time though, particularly McKean's artwork.
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

i liked it...mckeans artwork was just awesome in it..

The mini-series was decent enough, though clearly one of Gaiman's lesser works.

It pretty much killed my interest in the character, though. The superhero version of Black Orchid never got much time in the spotlight (outside of John Ostrander's great SUICIDE SQUAD), but she seemed interesting enough. That wasn't the case after she turned into Swamp Thing-lite.

I agree that it's underrated. This has always been one of my favorite stories that nobody ever seems to talk about. Gaiman & McKean make a great team. I didn't follow the ongoing series (I heard it wasn't great), but I'd love it if they collaborated again on another Black Orchid mini, or a graphic novel or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathy Boy View Post
    The mini-series was decent enough, though clearly one of Gaiman's lesser works.

It pretty much killed my interest in the character, though. The superhero version of Black Orchid never got much time in the spotlight (outside of John Ostrander's great SUICIDE SQUAD), but she seemed interesting enough. That wasn't the case after she turned into Swamp Thing-lite.
    Where is she now? I read the first 2 issues of a mini (don't know the creative team) and spotted her in Suicide Squad. It would be really nice if she appeared somewhere (52?)

I use Cro-Magnums, baby! C.O. Jones's Avatar

I bought it back when it first came out and I totally loved it. Things were a bit rough for me in those days and just something about looking forward to that book for a few months kinda helped take the edge off. I even framed the poster that came out with the series as well.
    Nick Fury's to-do list:

1) Save the world.
    2) Punch Norman in the face.
    3) Have a beer.

It's been a long time since I read it.

I really should crack it open again.
    I hope this 911 is for real and not just on tv.
    --Thorn

Not even my healing factor can handle Shlitz!
    --Skull-verine

Solitudinem fecerunt, pacem appelunt - They made a desert and called it peace.
    --Tacitus

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

It was great when it came out. I quickly went after all her superhero appearances, and liked them, too--!

Haven't read it in several years, but when I did, several years ago, I remember enjoying it a lot, and going back for the superhero appearances, and enjoying them a lot.

But I agree, I miss/ed her as a superhero, and would really like to see her again, perhaps as a mix of the old-superhero and 'new'-swampy icon. Ah now, isn't she a vertigo character for true?

Matt
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

BANNED

I think it's fantastic. It's early for both Gaiman and McKean, and they certainly went on to do better works.

This is a great story that I think has been overshadowed by the masterworks both have done after Black Orchid.

Dave's art was completely ahead of it's time. That man is a brilliant painter.

.....she gets her god like powers from my side of the family

one of the first time i realized how cool luthor could be , plus i got mine sign'ed by and gaimian n' mckeans . wooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by stealthwise View Post
    I'd say that it's very good, but ultimately beholden to Gaiman's idealization of Moore's Swamp Thing work in the 80's, and a bit distant emotionally.

It's very good for its time though, particularly McKean's artwork.
    I very much agree.
    Although I will add, it was a bit boring in places.

I've only got the last two issues, but it was easy to pick up what happened.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the ongoing though. I've got at least the first five issues and felt that it wasn't really going anywhere.
    Also, Suzie not being there, and being told it would be explained in the Children's Crusade was less than satisfactory.
    From memory it also strayed rather far, rather quickly, from where Gaiman had left off, which I found rather jarring.
    If your going to change direction, you really should have a direction to go in, and it should be better than the one you've moved away from.
    Jill Thompson's art also wasn't at it's best, but to be fair, it was early on for her (from memory). Not a scratch on her art for Sandman (or her work since).
    ADVERTISE HERE!

Good book, art was a bit stiff at times, but still great. I was never happy with the way Gaiman used Batman, however briefly he appeared.

BANNED

What was wrong with Batman?