Default CBR NEWS: Marvel Then and Now: Full Report

CBR News full coverage of the Marvel Then and Now panel at UCLA this past weekend, featuring Stan Lee, Joe Quesada and moderator Kevin Smith. Emmett Furey was there and has filed an extensive report on the evening, plus we've got photos of the entire event.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=9105
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Executive Producer, CBR
    - CBR - Twitter -

Then the man who authorized the unmasking of Spider-Man within the pages of "Civil War" attempted to explain the character's appeal through a rock 'n' roll analogy. "Superman is Elvis. And although the music was great, it was still very simple rock 'n' roll, 1, 4, 5 progression," Quesada said. "And then Stan comes along and creates characters that are multidimensional and it's like the British Invasion. All of a sudden there are minor chords and diminished chords - there's a complexity to the music that comes in. I think 200 years from now, Spider-Man is gonna be here. Because Spider-Man will always be relevant."

Even Lee doesn't seem to like this idea. Damn you, Quesada. And Planet Hulk? He's actually bragging about that? Pahuh.

I can't remember the last time I read a Marvel comic that had some strong writing. You ask me, comparing Marvel now and then, well...they were never really big on writing, but some very bad decisions have been made now.
    ♫ "I want to disturb my neighbor
    Cause I'm feeling so right
    I want to turn up my disco
    Blow them to full Watts tonight
    In a rub-a-dub style, in a rub-a-dub style"♫

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar View Post
    I can't remember the last time I read a Marvel comic that had some strong writing.
    Weird. I did just this past Wednesday.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Care to share?

Oh, and one thing that Marvel still has is that line of theirs:
    'The Marvel Universe Will NEVER BE THE SAME!'

Although, it might be correct in the Civil War flick. I still say that event ends in a planet wide mind wipe.
    ♫ "I want to disturb my neighbor
    Cause I'm feeling so right
    I want to turn up my disco
    Blow them to full Watts tonight
    In a rub-a-dub style, in a rub-a-dub style"♫

I was actually there. Stan Lee had lots of fun things to say. Energetic for his age. Made a good comedy duo with Kevin Smith.

Lee: "I'm always your straight man."
    Smith: "Does that mean I'm always your gay man?"

etcetera

Quesada was a little boring. Usually felt like he was advertizing.

Always talking about how his comics are "relevant". He brought up 9-11 about 17 times. And that bad issue of Spider-Man.

They went character by character; Lee talked about the past and Quesada the present.

Noticably, they left out Dr. Strange, Nick Fury, Thor, Ant Man & Wasp, Silver Surfer. Got most of the rest though. Talked about Black Panther. Reggie Hudlin joined for that.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Okay, this annoyed me:

"You should do 'Stan Lee meets Stan Lee,'" Smith joked.

Lee didn't seem to understand that Smith was joking. "Wouldn't that be something!"

The author of the article thinks Lee didn't understand. That doesn't mean he should put it in. Stan Lee responded with a classic, traditional rhetorical statement; it's equally as likely that he did realize Smith was joking, and was responding in an appropriate way to end the dialogue. Not the best move putting an opinion in the middle of a report.

Other than that, nice stuff.
    jacktango
    Make something up! State it firmly, even arrogantly! -- The John Agar Code of Adventuring Scientists

Well, the comment certainly wasn't meant as a slight to Mr. Lee, but I can see how it could be taken that way. At any rate, thanks for reading!