Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Staying Sharp: Guggenheim Talks "Blade"

Blade is famous for having a foot in both the human and vampire worlds and his ongoing series walks in two worlds as well: the supernatural and the mainstream Marvel U. CBR News spoke with writer Marc Guggenheim about the series.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=9098

Cool interview. Blade is a really fun series that I didn't expect to get hooked on.

I'm looking forward to the spoilers:
    Morbius
    end of spoilers guest appearance.
    For-Real-True is only true now.

Story-True is true forever.

-Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"

Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
    Cool interview. Blade is a really fun series that I didn't expect to get hooked on.

I'm looking forward to the spoilers:
    Morbius
    end of spoilers guest appearance.
    gotta hate the fact that they parade him around in that clown suit still.
    Hi, my name is Peter Parker and I make satanic pacts with demons. .I shall not buy Amazing Spider-Man until the marriage returns. Be a part of the movement.

This series is ok, but I have a few problems with it.

1. I hate the art.

2. I hate the unnecesary and HYPOCRITICAL retcons of Blade's origin and past. I find it really sad that Marvel felt the need to ignore and change Blades establish history in order to make him more resemble his tv and movie counterpart. Yet, on the flip side, they decide to keep the whole stereotypical and offensive part of his origin about his mother bing a hooker. They also decided to make his father white, which is kind of funny since his father is black in the tv series. Which brings me to my 3rd complaint .................................................. .................

3. Does Marvel think that by making Blade half white, he will be "more relatable" or "more appealing" to white readers. If this turns out to be the case, then I'll chalk this up to another reason to dislike th current Marvel.

4. I hated the fact that they allowed (although it could have been a mistake) the cuss word "asshole" in issue #3. This type of language does not belong in a T+ rated Marvel comic.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post

1. I hate the art.

2. I hate the unnecesary and HYPOCRITICAL retcons of Blade's origin and past. I find it really sad that Marvel felt the need to ignore and change Blades establish history in order to make him more resemble his tv and movie counterpart. Yet, on the flip side, they decide to keep the whole stereotypical and offensive part of his origin about his mother bing a hooker. They also decided to make his father white, which is kind of funny since his father is black in the tv series. Which brings me to my 3rd complaint .................................................. .................

3. Does Marvel think that by making Blade half white, he will be "more relatable" or "more appealing" to white readers. If this turns out to be the case, then I'll chalk this up to another reason to dislike th current Marvel.

4. I hated the fact that they allowed (although it could have been a mistake) the cuss word "asshole" in issue #3. This type of language does not belong in a T+ rated Marvel comic.
    well, i like the art, but i've only seen a few pages. i'll pick upthe issues in a few days. and i think making him half white half black increases the feeling that he doesn't really feel like he belongs anywhere. he' not quite human, not at all a vampire. not quite white, and not quite black. i think rather than make him more relatable for being white, we're supposed to relate to him being even more of an outcast than usually depicted.

and i don't mind the language, but i'm not sure of the levels of language allowed in E books versus T versus max(unrated).

BANNED

1) I'm not crazy about the art either. However, opining as one who does happen to sketch a little and realizes how truly difficult an undertaking it can be, I try to respect the effort of those artists/illustrators who have achieved a level of skill that meets the professional standard of the industry as a whole. I won't usually buy a book having an illustrated presentation I don't particularly appreciate. I make an exception for Blade because I like the character a great deal.

2) I love what the writers have done to (and for), Blade's origin and powers. Originally, the fatal attack on Blade's mother and the affect it had upon him while in the process of being born, left him as a normal human being with the ridiculous "power" of being immune to vampire bites. Like too many black Marvel superheroes, Blade was vastly under-powered. Peter Parker gets bitten by a tiny radioactive spider, the venom enters his bloodstream and he is endowed with the proportionate strength, speed and ability of a spider as a result. Parker is able to lift tons, cling to walls, leap (or swing by web), from building top to building top and is given a special "spider sense" that warns him of impending danger. Blade's mother is bitten and murdered by a vampire. The vampire - Deacon Frost's saliva imparts his vampiric essence into her bloodstream which she shares with her son. So Eric Brooks has what Marv Wolfman himself described as "vampire blood in his veins" and all Brooks gets out of it is an immunity to vampire bites and nothing else? That's bull...since this is a friendly forum, I can't finish the "bull...." descriptor.

Eric Brooks deserved to be stronger. Now, thanks to David Goyer and now, Marc Guggenheim, Blade is the dhampir he should have been originally. I don't recall the race of Blade's father being revealed in the comics until this current series. Contrary to what many people participating in this forum might believe, I am not adverse to romantic/sexual interracial relationships AS LONG AS THOSE RELATIONSHIPS ARE RESPECTFUL AND INTELLIGENT. Unfortunately, except for in the movies and the t.v. series (I enjoyed the first Blade movie and loved the t.v. series), Blade's lovely mother was employed by a brothel in England. At the time she was destroyed by Deacon Frost, a black male patron would not have been welcome in such places. However, those houses of ill repute would have a place for a comely woman of any racial and ethnic persuasion, which explains how and why Blade's mother could have become impregnated by a white man. I love the way they are handling Blade's origin in the comics. It appears that this white man, Blade's probable father, could be a vampire himself. While it doesn't follow vampiric lore exactly, this could be how Guggenheim is able to make Blade the dhampir (half-vampire/half-human) he is and as he was successful in his movie incarnation. Brooks is now as strong as a vampire. "He possesses all of a vampires' strengths and none of their weaknesses save for "the thirst". I like it like that. If a tiny radioactive spider can do what it did for Spider-Man, Blade should not have had to have waited until he was bitten by the fake vampire Morbius, to be endowed with the powers he should have been given at birth. Goyer and Guggenheim have got it right and for doing so, I have them right up there with Reggie Hudlin in my esteem.

3) Who knows how the larger comicbook-buying demographic will react and relate to a character who is bi-racial? More than a few of them don't seem to have a problem with Iron Fist/Misty Knight. They seemed angered because T'Challa was able to "win" Ororo "away" from the likes of Forge and Wolverine. Evidently, that part of the larger comicbook-buying demographic didn't have a problem with Forge or Wolverine being romantically/sexually involved with Storm. We know that Christopher Priest's attempt to replace (albeit temporarily), T'Challa with the bi-racial Kasper Cole as the Black Panther didn't save his Black Panther series. Once Priest began calling his "bi-racial Black Panther", the White Tiger, it still didn't do much for the character. In my opinion, the right person is now wearing the White Tiger helm; Angela Del Toro, Hector Ayala's neice. I don't believe that the writer of the new White Tiger series should involve Del Toro romantically with Daredevil, if that is the direction she is hoping to move in. I believe Angela Del Toro should be paired with a Puerto Rican male. Her uncle Hector Ayala, was befriended by and shared a very close relationship with a black detective who I now only remember by his nickname, "Blackbyrd". Hector Ayala was also once attracted to and dated Peter Parker's friend Gloria Grant, a black female, before he married a woman who I can only assume (and hope), was Puerto Rican. I believe Del Toro should be like her uncle and be attracted to and date the type of people she grew up being with, that would be either a Puerto Rican male or Black American male. Back to the point of your post, I wouldn't have a problem with Blade's father being white and a vampire if that white, male vampire truly loved and respected Blade's mother. The way Blade's mother was asking for "Lucas" during her last moments suggests to me that she was probably well-treated by this "Lucas" and possibly even loved him. I could accept that relationship much more easily that I can Anton Pretorious' kidnapping and decades-long rape of T'Challa's mother, Ramonda.

4) "Asshole" doesn't belong in a comicbook nowadays. How about Spider-Woman's skin-tight, full-form revealing costume which shows off the nipples of her breasts? How about Ms Marvel's costume which is basically a full bathing suit with buttock-revealing thong bottoms? It's a different day in the world of comics. Some of it good. Some of it not so good, but that's the way it is.
    Last edited by sinjection; 12-10-2006 at 05:38 AM.

Default Why did they have to make Blade Job to Wolverine?

He should be stronger than Wolverine and Just as skilled fighter! Guggenheim is screwing Blade!!

Thumbs up

Good post, Sinjection !

I enjoyed reading that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post

1. I hate the art.

I'm not sure exactly how it is being hypocritical, but in any case, they retconned out the hooker thing. Now his mom was sent to the whore house by the father, apparently because they have something to do with vampire killing or something. As far as I can tell, she was only at the whorehouse for 20 minutes before Frost showed up.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    I'm not sure exactly how it is being hypocritical, but in any case, they retconned out the hooker thing. Now his mom was sent to the whore house by the father, apparently because they have something to do with vampire killing or something. As far as I can tell, she was only at the whorehouse for 20 minutes before Frost showed up.

He also turned Blade into a total wuss unable to punch Wolverine a single timea and willing to transform a person into a vampire. Marc Guggenheim doesn't like Blade at all. To him it is just something that Joe Q asigned to him and the he didn't want to do. He is just waiting for the book the get canceled so he doesn't have to write Blade anymore. And until that happens we will see Blade jobbing to every single white character in the MU.

They didn't change Blade's history that much, you simply didn't know his history. He was always half black and he was always born in 19th century England.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Marc Guggenheim doesn't like Blade at all.
    Wrong.

To him it is just something that Joe Q asigned to him and the he didn't want to do.
    No.

He is just waiting for the book the get canceled so he doesn't have to write Blade anymore.
    Untrue.

And until that happens we will see Blade jobbing to every single white character in the MU.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Guggenheim View Post
    Wrong.

No.

Untrue.

???
    Why isn't Blade dodging bullets instead of being shot by regular cops? How it is possible for normal cops to get into Blade's house without him noticing until they are literally at his bed's edge. Then why would you have Blade acting like a fool who can take advantage of the Intel he has been given? Why would you have Blade using vampire blood on a person? Even if the blood trick were to work and Wolverine had become a vampire, once injected in the position they were He just had to swipe his claw once to kill Blade. This gets us to my next point why would Blade be pinned to the ground when he is stronger than Wolverine? He is supposed to have all the strengths and non of the weakness of vampires after all. And this get us to my other point; what the hell happened to Blade's healing factor? Next morning after the joke/fight he was still sporting the claw marks on his face. He has healed injuries a lot worse a lot faster.

You had the opportunity to make Blade one of the toughest guys in the MU but you chose to job him to Wolverine. You could have come with plenty of ways for Blade to take down a guy who walks around with a metallic skeleton other than turning him into a vampire. (Industrial magnet or magnetic bullets had done the trick before)It was the perfect opportunity to amp Blade's arsenal and to show off his cunning in ways that made sense but hell it was easier to go for the old route of let the black guy get beaten up.
    Last edited by Francisco; 02-15-2007 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    They didn't change Blade's history that much, you simply didn't know his history. He was always half black and he was always born in 19th century England.
    Wrong we never knew he was half white and he was born in the early decades of the 20th century. Blade has been always drawn as a dark skinned black man. the TV series had him with a black father and his mom was not prostitute.. Then how comes that now when Marvel is supposedly making Blade more like his film version he turns out having a white dad, acting like a moron and fighting like a little girl?

Issue 6 was another great issue. I'm completely sold on the book.
    For-Real-True is only true now.

Story-True is true forever.

-Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"