Default Was Batman Really Bruce Wayne's Choice?

As I understand it, Superman and Spiderman (as two prime examples of superheroes) made the choice to fight on the side of good. They could have just as easily turned against humanity and destroyed our world, they have the power to do so. But what about Batman? Are his motives completely separate from superheroes like Superman, and maybe arguably Spiderman? His parents were killed so he donned the cape. His reasons were not for truth, justice and the American way as Superman's was. But somewhere over the years he must have had Superman's love for truth, justice and the American way rub off on him. Right now, can one say that Batman is truly Bruce Wayne's choice the way we can say Superman was Clark Kent's conscience manifesting itself? Or is Batman's reason the same as it has been when he first busted in in 1939?

I think Bruce's reasons are exactly the same: To make sure no other child loses their parents the way he did.
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Chubaka View Post
    Superman and Spiderman ... could have just as easily turned against humanity and destroyed our world, they have the power to do so.
    As does Batman.
    He could do it financially.

Batman could have just slipped into a life of decadance or even criminal business dealings without his father around... he could have ruled Gotham like Lex Luthor ruled Metropolis... but instdead he made the exact same choice as Peter Parker and that was to make sure what happened to him didn't happen again. With great power and all that.

and I don't think Spider-Man has the power to destroy the world... he's been beaten by the Vulture, Hydroman and some dude dressed as a frog.