Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Power with girl is better Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9,210

    Default Continuity Errors That Annoy and Ultimate Galactus

    Okay, I know this could be considered mostly nitpicking but, "How the #@#$ did the zombies eat Galactus?" It has been well established in Marvel that Galactus is energy and the armor he wears is merely a containment suit allowing him to have the appearance of form. Non-human species don't neccesarily see the humanoid form that humans see. So, how did they eat a being of energy? For that matter, with their necro-teeth, how did they bite through the armor of the Silver Surfer that can withstand the most devastating of planetary and outer space conditions?

    In "Ultimate Galactus", the Falcon beat Colossus by putting his gun to his eye and stating that Colosuss's eyes *must* be flesh or he could not see (yes just like the Invisible Woman should not be able to see while she is invisible but at least the UFF writer perceives and acknowledges these anomalies). Elsewhere, in UXM, Colossus dives to the ocean's depths and rescues a submarine that man-made equipment can't reach. Why don't his eyes implode? Because every part of him, eyes included, is metal. The old "Give the character a weakness he doesn't have so another character that could not possibly beat him can do so because I, the writer, want it to happen that way" trick.

    By the way, I bought the Ultimate Galactus collection. I have to say I loved the first two books. The third one was a dissappointment. Gah-lak-tos is basically V'Ger. He's a machine. Okay but nothing particularly interesting is done with it that wasn't already done on Star Trek 40 years ago. He cannot understand emotions. We will use that to beat him. Just a big, dragged out battle scene through most of book three. Regular 616 Galactus far more interesting and don't even get me started on the lame emptiness of the silver surfers. At least I hope they will do interesting stuff with one of the surfers. Its not that I'm looking at 616 with rose colored glasses. I wanted Ultimate Galactus to surpass it. Instead, I felt like I was on extremely familiar, 40 year old ground- except for the endless series of nice pictures and battle scenes with no dialogue and few ideas, none of them new. If it were not for the "idea" that this was supposed to be Galactus, I can't see much interest in the conclusion.

  2. #2
    I have a nice mustache Van Custo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,622

    Default

    Gah-Lak-Tus = one of the worst most dissapointing things I've seen in a long while.

  3. #3
    Power with girl is better Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Camron Amaya
    Gah-Lak-Tus = one of the worst most dissapointing things I've seen in a long while.
    I like to joke that, after reading "Ultimate Galactus", I am now Gah-lak-tus intolerant.

  4. #4
    BANNED Gargus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    666

    Default

    Your injecting waaaayyyyy to much reality into a comic book, it is make believe after all.

    And not only is it make believe but you have all these writers coming in and out, you cant expect them to have a complete and entire history of each charcter every writer before them wrote.

    I never understood how someone could read a comic about mutants, super powers, a all powerfull being from outerspace that will destroy the planet and someone would actually argue that colossus eyes would implode if they werent metal also when he was under the ocean to rescue a submarine. You will actually suspened disbelief for him turning to metal and having super strength, but cant understand why his eyes dont implode because another writer said they werent metal. It boggles the mind.

    Really though, if these things bother you then you should stop reading comics. They are just entertainment.

  5. #5
    Cold enough? BrassMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargus
    Your injecting waaaayyyyy to much reality into a comic book, it is make believe after all.

    And not only is it make believe but you have all these writers coming in and out, you cant expect them to have a complete and entire history of each charcter every writer before them wrote.

    I never understood how someone could read a comic about mutants, super powers, a all powerfull being from outerspace that will destroy the planet and someone would actually argue that colossus eyes would implode if they werent metal also when he was under the ocean to rescue a submarine. You will actually suspened disbelief for him turning to metal and having super strength, but cant understand why his eyes dont implode because another writer said they werent metal. It boggles the mind.

    Really though, if these things bother you then you should stop reading comics. They are just entertainment.
    Well said :)

  6. #6
    Fisher Price Man The Foreigner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    693

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy
    Okay, I know this could be considered mostly nitpicking but, "How the #@#$ did the zombies eat Galactus?" It has been well established in Marvel that Galactus is energy and the armor he wears is merely a containment suit allowing him to have the appearance of form. Non-human species don't neccesarily see the humanoid form that humans see. So, how did they eat a being of energy? For that matter, with their necro-teeth, how did they bite through the armor of the Silver Surfer that can withstand the most devastating of planetary and outer space conditions?
    That wasn't the 616 universe. Their rules don't apply.

    In "Ultimate Galactus", the Falcon beat Colossus by putting his gun to his eye and stating that Colosuss's eyes *must* be flesh or he could not see (yes just like the Invisible Woman should not be able to see while she is invisible but at least the UFF writer perceives and acknowledges these anomalies). Elsewhere, in UXM, Colossus dives to the ocean's depths and rescues a submarine that man-made equipment can't reach. Why don't his eyes implode? Because every part of him, eyes included, is metal. The old "Give the character a weakness he doesn't have so another character that could not possibly beat him can do so because I, the writer, want it to happen that way" trick.
    Just a mistake on Ellis' part.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargus
    Your injecting waaaayyyyy to much reality into a comic book, it is make believe after all.

    And not only is it make believe but you have all these writers coming in and out, you cant expect them to have a complete and entire history of each charcter every writer before them wrote.

    I never understood how someone could read a comic about mutants, super powers, a all powerfull being from outerspace that will destroy the planet and someone would actually argue that colossus eyes would implode if they werent metal also when he was under the ocean to rescue a submarine. You will actually suspened disbelief for him turning to metal and having super strength, but cant understand why his eyes dont implode because another writer said they werent metal. It boggles the mind.

    Really though, if these things bother you then you should stop reading comics. They are just entertainment.
    Hm. Over-dramatic much?

    The guy just asked a couple simple questions about elements that go against established continuity; I personally wouldn't file that under "injecting waaaaaay too much reality into a comic book."

    Continuity is an important part of the "make believe" entertainment you're talking about, so I feel his questions are justified.

  7. #7
    Power with girl is better Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Foreigner
    Hm. Over-dramatic much?

    The guy just asked a couple simple questions about elements that go against established continuity; I personally wouldn't file that under "injecting waaaaaay too much reality into a comic book."

    Continuity is an important part of the "make believe" entertainment you're talking about, so I feel his questions are justified.
    Thanks. I so dislike that show-stopping "If you feel that way, just stop reading them" argument. I can't remember who said it but there was a well-known saying, "Show me a fantasy where anything can happen and I'll show you a bad fantasy". The person meant that even a fantasy has to adhere to its internal consistency regardless of how much it contradicts real world facts. That sort of argument was long used (and still is used) to justify weak storytelling in science fiction. "Hey come on, its JUST science fiction."

    I completely agree that the whole Galactus thing can be explained by the fact that it is not the regular/ 616 universe. Galactus was flesh in the zombieverse just as he's a machine in the Ultimateverse. The Colossus thing is far more problematic. Any decent editor should have remembered that. Its not some peripheral detail about Colossus. Its a basic fact. Also, I got the feeling the writer knew it was inconsistent, which is why he went to such lengths to change the facts and make it possible. Problem is it doesn't change what happened elsewhere. I personally don't think it was just an "oops".

    "I never understood how someone could read a comic about mutants, super powers, a all powerfull being from outerspace that will destroy the planet and someone would actually argue that colossus eyes would implode if they werent metal also when he was under the ocean to rescue a submarine. You will actually suspened disbelief for him turning to metal and having super strength, but cant understand why his eyes dont implode because another writer said they werent metal. It boggles the mind."

    I did not say it. THEY said it. The UXM story made it clear he could do it because all of him was metal. Marvel Comics has long established that every bit of him is metal. Of course we suspend disbelief to accept certain things. So that means we just throw consistency completely out the window?

  8. #8
    Power with girl is better Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9,210

    Smile

    By the way, my personal fanboy explanation is that the Falcon was bluffing and Colossus was not 100% sure. After all, established facts in a character guide do not mean the characters in the story are completely sure of those facts. There is a difference between reader knowledge and character certainty. The bullets could not have penetrated his eyes. The Falcon successfully bluffed.

  9. #9
    I'm a Werewolf Motorcycle ednemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In My Couch Cushion Hideout
    Posts
    97

    Default

    I enjoyed this trilogy.

    As for Colossus, he's young and hasn't had the opportunity to know how his eyes will react to a point blank .45 to the eye.

    I can remember 15 years ago being terrified of getting punched in the face. I was sure that I would lose an eye in the process. I have since learned what my eyes can and can't take. A punch will hurt but my eye will remain relatively safe. Ult. Colossus is simply inexperienced.

    Everything is controlled by a small evil group to which, unfortunately, no one we know belongs.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ThePhenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    Okay, I know this could be considered mostly nitpicking but, "How the #@#$ did the zombies eat Galactus?" It has been well established in Marvel that Galactus is energy and the armor he wears is merely a containment suit allowing him to have the appearance of form. Non-human species don't neccesarily see the humanoid form that humans see. So, how did they eat a being of energy? For that matter, with their necro-teeth, how did they bite through the armor of the Silver Surfer that can withstand the most devastating of planetary and outer space conditions?
    Perhaps Zombie earth Galactus has an entirely different makeup to that of 616 Galactus? Perhaps the necro-teeth of Marvel Zombies are stronger than zombie teeth are generally regarded to be? Perhaps the power of Galactus' energy has a method of transferrence that we do not know about?

    I can't argue too much because I nitpick as well, but for every error there's usually a loosely placed justification...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,749

    Default

    So how could the the Zombie Hulk bite off the head of the ZU Silver Surfer but on the other hand get one punched out by the Ultimate Thing?

  12. #12
    Power, Unlimited Power MythicBrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy
    By the way, my personal fanboy explanation is that the Falcon was bluffing and Colossus was not 100% sure. After all, established facts in a character guide do not mean the characters in the story are completely sure of those facts. There is a difference between reader knowledge and character certainty. The bullets could not have penetrated his eyes. The Falcon successfully bluffed.
    I have to agree with your original points. Fantasy has to have some reality for it to be believable. I read comics and watch movies but at times the stories make you say, "COME ON, Who are you kidding?!?!!" Colossus' inexperience and Falcon bluffing is the best explanation. Falcon was talking about his prowess with a gun and then later in the series he couldn't hit the Surfer with two machine guns. Remember, Misty yelled that to Cap when they came to apprehend her.

  13. #13
    Bitch please. MaxofSteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Your Mom
    Posts
    3,765

    Default

    I liked the Ga Lak Tus storyline, but I really think Extinction could have been stretched out longer. Something as big and world threatening as that (which, in Ult continuity has never happened before) should have been taken to more epic levels IMO.

    I think Extinction should have been longer, and I also think the plot should have tied into the other Ult titles (somehow).

  14. #14
    Capt'n Tightpants rwe1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    Kirkman pretty much said not everything in the Zombie Universe was the same as the 616. I.E. "Colonel" America, Thor flying w/o the real Mjolner.
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

  15. #15
    Power with girl is better Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    9,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxofSteel
    I liked the Ga Lak Tus storyline, but I really think Extinction could have been stretched out longer. Something as big and world threatening as that (which, in Ult continuity has never happened before) should have been taken to more epic levels IMO.

    I think Extinction should have been longer, and I also think the plot should have tied into the other Ult titles (somehow).
    I think the nature of Gah-lak-tus should have been explored much more. It should have been more than just a vague Landru (original Star Trek term) in the background. For instance, they could have taken things hinted at in 616 and made them facts of Ultimate Galactus, the varied forms, etc. Even as a machine, it could have been more complex, tapped cosmic energies, been god-like in thoughts, etc. But it was nothing compared to the 616 Galactus, either in power or complexity. Plus it was defeated with an old story trick and made effectively powerless once a planet knows that trick.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •