Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Thoughtful, Sad, Devastating...

This blog is from a women in comics whom I liked very much in the short time I knew her. It's not for the squeamish, but I think it should be read:

http://occasionalsuperheroine.blogspot.com/

Start at the beginning. The way it's formatted now is blog style, so the last entry so far is actually the first you see, so you have to go back to the beginning.

Gail

Bloody hell, she seriously needs a change of luck.
    " Why do stars suddenly appear, every time I drink beer ? " ~~~ Karen Ellis

Video Games give me PTS! Crowley's Avatar

wow I'm halfway through it... and damn.

This poor woman has suffered an immense amount of trauma.
    The manner in which she channels the pain through the writing and humor is very admirable.

Grey Warden in the house! heystacy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Simone
    This blog is from a women in comics whom I liked very much in the short time I knew her. It's not for the squeamish, but I think it should be read:

http://occasionalsuperheroine.blogspot.com/

Start at the beginning. The way it's formatted now is blog style, so the last entry so far is actually the first you see, so you have to go back to the beginning.

Gail
    That was so brutal. I am not so squemish, but damn. Some ugly shit went down for her. I am pleased comics and life didn't get the best of her.
    You should be good because in hell there is only customer service positions to be filled, and in heaven, you get to make the calls.

Please visit: Yeah, I Write This Blog
    Several Deadly CINEs.

Grey Warden in the house! heystacy's Avatar

Let me add that the amount of abuse, trauma, and stress she was under is staggering. I feel rather miserable after reading her posts, yet I am impressed by the fact that she is able to put these details into words and carry her thoughts with wit.
    You should be good because in hell there is only customer service positions to be filled, and in heaven, you get to make the calls.

Please visit: Yeah, I Write This Blog
    Several Deadly CINEs.

I do wonder about this a lot. Every interview I do with the mainstream press, seemingly, and I turn down a LOT, they seem to want to hear how awfully I've been treated by comics and by the men IN comics.

And I haven't. It's been quite the reverse. My experiences with comics have been nearly 100% positive, and the few that weren't, for the most part, had little to do with gender. I know what they want to hear and I just want to tell them to fuck off. I know if I say, well, this editor stuck up for me or this creator was incredible to me, that stuff will never make the article anyway.

But I've had enough friends have the opposite experience that I know my own is just a fortunate roll of the dice. But joining a blanket condemnation when these guys have been so unbelievably supportive feels like I'd be a cad.

Anyway, I feel a lot of sadness for this blogger and hope things are brighter for her soon.

Gail

I have a nice mustache Van Custo's Avatar

Now, I don't personaly have a vagina myself, but even so, what I've read so far in this blog has made my genetils shrivel up and die.

Hey, you're not dead! Gilda Dent's Avatar

Wow, that was an incredibly sad, and very well written story. I do hope things are looking better for her now, whereever she is, and that she continues writing.

I read the comments, and whoever "old father william" is, I like him a lot, too.

Gail, in her comment said, in part, "The women all too often get their powers from radioactive sex, seemingly."

I understand that this was intended metaphorically, but there's at least one character that this fits literally. Kate Godwin, Coagula, a prostitute who got her powers after having sex with Rebus, the bi-gendered negative being in the Doom Patrol.
    Passion is nice wherever you find it. Character is what matters, not gender or race.

~Kelly Chambers

wear my sunglasses@night Constantine Drakon's Avatar

I couldn't even finish reading this. Just too depressing. My God, how that woman found the strength to keep on going I'll never know, but I admire her for it.
    My avatar showing I think the DCU is becoming less diverse is under review, and moderation has been very kind in this matter.

That was a very emotional tale. I can't imagine having to live through those events. I hope she doesn't give up on comics though. The writing of her story is proof enough she is a very talented writer. I would hate to see her give up on her dream.
    Aaron - That JonoGuy

My hat is off, clenched in both hands in sorrow for her. Good lord.

Reading this can put lives into perspective. In a lot of different ways.

Honestly? Stuff like that makes me want to quit supporting comic stores and the industry as a whole. I know it's a knee-jerk reaction but man, are there ever a lot of scumbags in this industry...
    What WERE They Thinking?
    Updated Monday-Friday

"My G-d, guard my tongue from evil, and my lips from speaking deceitfully" (Psalm 34:14).

My comic stash

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Typo Lad
    Honestly? Stuff like that makes me want to quit supporting comic stores and the industry as a whole. I know it's a knee-jerk reaction but man, are there ever a lot of scumbags in this industry...
    I felt the same way. Not that I'll ever do that - and it's good to hear from Gail her experience has been different. Still, what Gail herself has said in the past about the "Howard Stern/partytime/fratboy/strip club" atmosphere at Marvel, this kind of thing is most likely not just a Gilgongo! phenomenon.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Simone
    I do wonder about this a lot. Every interview I do with the mainstream press, seemingly, and I turn down a LOT, they seem to want to hear how awfully I've been treated by comics and by the men IN comics.

And I haven't. It's been quite the reverse. My experiences with comics have been nearly 100% positive, and the few that weren't, for the most part, had little to do with gender. I know what they want to hear and I just want to tell them to fuck off. I know if I say, well, this editor stuck up for me or this creator was incredible to me, that stuff will never make the article anyway.
    Never piss off someone who knows how to use a pair of sciss... er, shears.
    " Why do stars suddenly appear, every time I drink beer ? " ~~~ Karen Ellis

I'm reading through this right now and bloody hell, I'd heard some horrible stuff about working environments in the industry but thought they were either exaggerated or past tense. God DAMN.

And the bit at the end about the comic fan who bought comics instead of the stuff he needed to not die of diabetes is just... arg.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind