Default Pipeline #492 - 14 Nov 2006

It's a bit of a mish-mash, but I think I pulled something together this week:

* Podcasting Roundup. I've been doing a lot of podcasting lately. Here's the breakdown of what and when and where and why.
    * Euro-Comics. Are Euro-comics starting to break back into America? If you really stretch it, you might make the argument. I review JONAH HEX #13 and THE KILLER #1 and Marvel's WISDOM #1. (OK, that last one is the biggest stretch of them all.)
    * Everything else: Including reviews of the new FRANKLIN RICHARDS, CRIMINAL #2, NEW AVENGERS #24, and some random links around the net.

-Augie

You're right about Wisdom getting no press. I remember the solicitation, but didn't really read it, as I don't know the character, but if Marvel had made a bigger deal about Hairsine drawing, I would have thought about picking it up. With issue 2 delayed till January, and issue 3 unsolicited, I'll just wait for the trade. Hopefully, this longer scheduled will keep the book from falling into the Deadly Genesis trap of issue 1 and 2 drawn by Hairsine, issue 3, 4, and 5 with layouts by Hairsine, and issue 6 drawn by someone else. Hairsine's Hitch influence extends to the time table needed for him to complete a project, although he might be a bit quicker. I like his stuff though, so I'll definetly pick up the trade, sometime late next year.

I think that Heroes definetly picks up after the pilot. I was not that impressed by the first episode, almost enough to stop watching, but I kept going and it has gotten better, especially around episode 4, where I think they have a big reveal. It's not the best, I still think some of the actors and some of the characters are pretty weak, but there's enough good stuff to keep watching. It's no Battlestar Gallactica but it also not Mutant X!

Thanks for the kind words Augie, for CRIMINAL. Much appreciated.
    Just to let anybody waiting on the trade to pick up CRIMINAL, it won't have the back-up features from the individual issues included. They are there in the comic a bonus to anyone who supports the book monthly. So if you want to read Ed's appreciation of Out Of The Past in #2 or Ande Parks' appreciation of Touch Of Evil in the next issue, don't wait for the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Phillips
    Thanks for the kind words Augie, for CRIMINAL. Much appreciated.
    Just to let anybody waiting on the trade to pick up CRIMINAL, it won't have the back-up features from the individual issues included. They are there in the comic a bonus to anyone who supports the book monthly. So if you want to read Ed's appreciation of Out Of The Past in #2 or Ande Parks' appreciation of Touch Of Evil in the next issue, don't wait for the trade.
    Thanks for stopping by Sean. Criminal has been great (absolutely love the covers!) and I have to admit that I'm wavering between monthlies and trade right now. Knowing that all of the extras won't be included in the trades may tempt me to continue with the pamphlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Augie
    Read NEW AVENGERS #24 last week, finally cementing in my mind once and for all that I just don't care about The Sentry.
    I'm right there with ya. I didn't like The Sentry arc, didn't care for the mini-series and this issue was my least favorite of the New Avengers Disassembled books. Good to know that I'm not the only one who really doesn't care this character.

Btw, is Wolverine still a member of the New Avengers? Remember the hub-bub that erupted online when the first pics of the new team were thrown together? He was in the first couple of arcs and then nothing since, right?

Quote Originally Posted by goman
    Hopefully, this longer scheduled will keep the book from falling into the Deadly Genesis trap of issue 1 and 2 drawn by Hairsine, issue 3, 4, and 5 with layouts by Hairsine, and issue 6 drawn by someone else. Hairsine's Hitch influence extends to the time table needed for him to complete a project. . .
    From Marvel's February solicitations:

WISDOM #3 (of 6)
    Written by PAUL CORNELL
    Penciled by MANUEL GARCIA
    Cover by TREVOR HAIRSINE
    Bwah ha ha! You hit that one on the head!

-Augie

You're welcome, Sean, and thanks for stopping by. I'm also happy to see your font being used in the book. Looks great!

-Augie

Quote Originally Posted by Augie De Blieck Jr.
    From Marvel's February solicitations:

Bwah ha ha! You hit that one on the head!

-Augie
    And it looks like that's one less trade to buy next year. It's a MAX mini with a minor character, just let Hairsine do it on his own time-line and release it when his art is done. Unless they have switched him to a more high profile project.

Quote Originally Posted by Augie De Blieck Jr.
    You're welcome, Sean, and thanks for stopping by. I'm also happy to see your font being used in the book. Looks great!

-Augie
    Well, I wasn't going to use a different one when I've got the chance to do my own lettering!

Sean - I wish everyone was like you. I remember TELLOS switching from the Mike Wieringo font to an awful computer-looking one after the first couple of issues. I think 'Ringo has since warmed up to that font, but it's too late for those issues. ::sigh::

-Augie

Aug,

Listening to The Dezago interview!

You kick all kinds of ass.

Out of the box "Show number 100 is coming up, and I have absoloutley nothing special planned." :D

Obviously you've learned that by not "patting yourself on the back", you can save arm strength for your golf game.

John S
    Free Podcast Comic Creator interviews at itunes podcasts and...

www.wordballoon.libsyn.com

BWAH-HA-HA! Thanks, John. Glad you're digging it. Let me know what you think when you've finished the whole thing, too.

And be warned: When the column hits its tenth anniversary of uninterrupted weekly output in June, I'll be whooping up a storm.

The 500th column hits the second week of January, but I don't think I'll be doing anything special there. I'd prefer to celebrate 10 years. I just hope I last that long now. =)

-Augie

Form the podcast: Great interview, I have to complement your sound levels, as they make it very easy to listen to in the car. Did you ever find that Clone Saga article you were talking about? I'd love to read it.