Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do superman comic fans think of Christopher Reeve?

I don't really read Superman comics so I don't know how comic fans think of him but I read X-Men comics so I know how X-Men comic fans feel about the movies adn the cast (ahem, mostly negative).

So I'm curious to know. Do comic fans think Christopher Reeve did a great job of playing Clark Kent and Superman? Do you guys think the movie was faithful to the comics?

Also, what do you think of Margot Kidder as Lois Lane? If you don't think she's the perfect Lois Lane, who do you think is? :)

Christopher Reeve is Superman to me. His Superman is the Superman I'm going to compare every other live action Superman to. Part of that is because he did such a good job of bringing the character to life and part of it is the fact that Superman: The Movie came out the same year I was born so I grew up with Christopher Reeve as MY Superman.

I thought Margot Kidder was very good as Lois Lane and I really liked the characterization. I know that Lois and Clark era Teri Hatcher is certainly my choice for hottest Lois Lane but I don't know which version of the character I'd give the nod to.

As for the movies, I don't know that they were faithful to the comics since there was no Superboy, a vastly different Krypton and all that but they were certainly faithful to Superman. Even when everything else was campy, at least they got the Man of Steel right.

btw I just want to say that I thought that Brandon Routh was terrific in Superman Returns. His performance owes alot to Reeve to be sure but he also did alot to make it his own and I really thought it all worked.

I'm also asking about the Superman movie starring Christopher Reeve, not just the one starring Brandon Routh. I'm curious to know if the one starring Reeve was faithful to the comics.

The best answer I can give you is to say from what I know it was fairly faithful. Or faithful enough. Superman was Superman. They didn't include things like his career as Superboy, Krypton was different from the one seen in the comics at the time, and Ma Kent was still alive but they got the important things right.
    Last edited by The Batman; 11-13-2006 at 02:08 AM.

Master of Funk! Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Christopher Reeves will always be Superman to me and most of my generation who were kids when his movies first came out.

He just got it. He got who Supprman is, was and can be.

I grew up watching Reeve as Superman as well, and I must say he's definitely at the top of my list of "The most Superman" (Routh being close second).

Margot Kidder is another story though. Her portrayal was great, but I never found her look synonomous enough with the comics. Erica Durance wins that award for me. She's got the spunk and the attituted that I always related Lois to as well.

Christopher Reeves WAS Superman. End of discussion.

This will probably get me flamed but this is how I really feel.

I’m of a minority that thinks that Christopher Reeves wasn’t half as good as people think he was. Yes, CR as Superman was the first Superman live action I saw and as a kid I liked it. But as a kid I liked it but I also liked a lot of awful (Not saying Superman was awful) shows. As I got older and watched the movies again I noticed for the most part that I found the acting to be fairly bad, and the scripts didn’t help any.

It always seemed, to me, that Christopher’s unfortunate accident had more to do with galvanizing him as Superman than he’s acting did. I noticed that several of my friends saw him as a washed up actor until the day of his accident. That day many of their opinions changed to him being a hero.

It burns when I pee. WoodenDummy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mystique's Rogue
    I read X-Men comics so I know how X-Men comic fans feel about the movies adn the cast (ahem, mostly negative).
    Last time I checked, fans liked the films.

Quote Originally Posted by kel25
    I noticed that several of my friends saw him as a washed up actor until the day of his accident. That day many of their opinions changed to him being a hero.

I do feel the need to point out that shortly before his accident Reeve won critical aclaim for his part in the Merchant Ivory film, Remains of the Day and was certainly getting steady work. Right before his accident he had starred in John Carpenters remake of Village of the Dammed.

So I don't think the man was quite washed up yet when his accident happened.

He was a very good looking, highly talented, and versatile actor who worked on stage, in TV, and film. His Superman was fantastic, his Clark Kent, however, left me cold. I still enjoy Switching Channels, a re-make of the Front Page, which he did with Burt Reynolds, Kathleen Turner, and George Newbern, and really liked the short film he directed, In the Gloaming. His perseverance after his accident was amazing. He didn't just exist, he fought for everything he had, every day, for the rest of his life, and his legacy will benefit many others, the world over. Humanitarian effort is a pretty good way to achieve immortality!

Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM
    I think Christopher Reeves will always be Superman to me and most of my generation who were kids when his movies first came out.

He just got it. He got who Supprman is, was and can be.

Totally agree!

He truly got who Superman was because he had all those qualities within himself and he proved it on a daily basis with his tireless efforts for people in the same situation worldwide.

Reeve was Superman in more ways then one.

World's Favorite Orphan Frankie Dennis's Avatar

Reeves Kent was just like the comics, he was a complete wimp, and geek. I think he did an amazing job as Kent. His Superman was terrific as well.

I don't think anybody could ever top him.

See, I don't see his Clark Kent being much like the comic at all. He pretty much broke the 4th wall to wink at the audience, which was more a part of the cartoons, than the books, and the comic Clark wasn't as much of a wimp as Reeve's portrayal.

Civilly disobeying the law of gravity.