Default Ultimate Creators

I seem to recall a while back that Marvel was really pushing some kind of "Gold Standard" for creators who would be assigned work on Ultimate titles. While certainly, the general standard set is relatively high, it does seem to be somewhat inconsistent. Granted, not every tiltle is going to get a Millar/Hitch team, but if Marvel really wanted this club to be members only, who would the guest list include? Essentially, who are the top creatives in the business today?

Eminence Front

I'd like Garth Ennis/Steve Dillon on UXM. If only just to watch people complain some more.

Seriously though, I'd like Warren Ellis and Grant Morrison to come and shake things up. Grant should be able to do wonders with UXM considering his New X-Men run. My opinion.

I'm not picky when it come to the art, as long as it isn't manga or a "I'm a tough guy and look like I have to go poop"-kinda art style.

Quote Originally Posted by Locue
    I'd like Garth Ennis/Steve Dillon on UXM. If only just to watch people complain some more.

Seriously though, I'd like Warren Ellis and Grant Morrison to come and shake things up. Grant should be able to do wonders with UXM considering his New X-Men run. My opinion.

I'm not picky when it come to the art, as long as it isn't manga or a "I'm a tough guy and look like I have to go poop"-kinda art style.
    Was not a fan of Grant's NXM run, but I would be more open to him cutting loose on this side of the pond. However, Warren Ellis's UFF was palatable to horrible. Now I generally like his work and N-Zone was decent, but overall his run didn't do anything interesting. Maybe it was because it was so short, but it was a disappointment.

Arrow

Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely on UFF, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by The Foreigner
    Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely on UFF, of course.
    I never got Frank Quietly. I mean, he draws what he draws well, but they just don't look all that great.

Ultimates: Millar. I mean again I'm pretty critical of Civil War, but his past runs have been very good and invigorating (if a bit over-hyped). Honestly though, I'm glad this book is not going on-going but rather extended mini-series. It gives a "special" feel to the Ultimates that the Avengers just don't have due to over-exposure.

Ultimate Fantastic Four: Carey. His run so far has been amazing and a real treasure. Stylistically he just has a great feeling for epic story arcs, which are not only rare nowadays but also something that the FF have needed for a long time.

Ultimate X-Men: Bendis. While I find New Avengers distasteful and House of M/Avenger's Disassembled to be trash, his Daredevil was amazing and his old UXM run was one quite good. His style would fit the X-Men well in my opinion since his more decompressed stories would allow for that right touch of characterization and interaction and they are more street-level (generally) which is more Bendis's area.

Ultimate Spider-Man: Alan Moore (or more realistically Peter David/Kurt Busiek). First off, while Alan can go off the deep end sometimes, he can write stories with a lot of heart and humor. Top 10 has the kinda feel that I can see working for a Spider-Man story. Funny, a bit wacky, but at the same time not without its seriousness. David/Busiek are really a couple of writers who should have been writing Spider-Man along time ago, but just never fell into the role (as far as I know though I could be wrong. I'm ignoring Busiek's Untold Tales of Spider-Man btw).

Weren't Bryan Singer and his X-Men movie writing pals supposed to be doing UXM? Or did that get nixed due to the whole Superman Returns thing?

The Singer thing will likely never happen, as it keeps getting pushed back.

My picks for Ultimate creators:

USM: Brian Bendis and Todd McFarlane/J. Scott Campbell

UXM: Mark Millar and Marc Silvestri/Dave Finch

UFF: Grant Morrison and Steve McNiven/Mike McKone

Ults.: Ed Brubaker and John Cassaday/Frank Cho

The artists would rotate every couple of issues or so in order to keep the books on track, and I tried to pick artists whose styles would complement one another so that the shift would not be too jarring.

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Bendis/Bagley are ideal for USM and Millar/Hitch to the Ultimates (even with the delays). I'm happy with Carey on UFF. UXM is the main problem, i would like to have either BKV back or Morrison (although there's no hope for the last one).
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

Quote Originally Posted by Locue
    I wouldnt complain is ennis could restore it to its former self that millar created. The comic has just been getting more and more boring as it spirals down the crapper since mark left. Now its just a soft pathetic comic that is trying to get out more new ultimate versions of charcters regardless of whether they are written well or not.

And kirkman needs to get the boot anyway. If he hadnt gotten success with marvel zombies he wouldnt be on UXM right now. He is at his peak right now of a hollow high. Kind of like how steve niles was the golden boy and could do no wrong when he did 30 days of night for idw and his name was everywhere, 8 months later no one cares about him. He had a cheap way to short term fame like kirkman did. Although I did love kirkmans walking dead till about issue 30 where it stopped going anywhere and is just a soap opera of who is fu***** who.

Keep away dillon though. I dont like his art. Everyone is a egghead without much detail aside from like a 5oclock shadow that just pencil dots on the page. The luna brothers do more detailed and interesting charcters that dont look like.

I'm not listing artists, because I'm just not real picky about the art. I know what I like, and I know waht I don't but I'm no good at figuring out who would match up and work well together, so just writers listed for me.
    ---
    UXM: Joss Whedon or BKV - I think Whedon would do well on UXM, not having to really share his toys with others, he would have more creative control which couldn't really be a bad thing. BKV is well...he's BKV. Wouldn't mind seeing Brubaker get a shot at it too.

UFF: Alan Moore - I know, that's the longest of long shots, but I've always wanted to see Moore take the FF on a thought provoking, whacked out, sci-fi romp. UFF would be the perfect place for this to happen. My second choice, though probably not a popular one, would be JMS.

USM: I don't really read this title, but what I have read, I enjoyed so I'm going to just say Bendis. If it's not broke...etc. etc.

Ultms: Hmmm...still thinking about this one.
    -hz