Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CBR NEWS: Chasing The Past: Looking Back on "Chase" with Johnson and Williams

Eight years ago, Dan Curtis Johnson, J.H. Williams II and Mick Gray were working on a little book called "Chase." While it only lasted 10 issues, the book still has a loyal following and it's ideas are still part of the DCU today. We spoke with Johnson for a look back.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=8797
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Executive Producer, CBR
    - CBR - Twitter -

I was a fan of the book when it was being published, and a fan of the DEO and Chase in subsequent appearances. And I can honestly say I've never seen an article like this in the 8 years since.

Thanks for this, CBR. :)

I remember when this title was on the shelves but never knew anything about it to bother trying it out. Now that I know the premise I would love to see a TPB collecting this run. It sounds great - I wish DC had done a better job advertising this title back in the day and more people like me might have been picking it up and kept it going a little longer. Don't miss another opportunity here DC, give these 10-issues (11 if you want to throw in that Batman issue too) a collected edition. I'd buy it.

I tracked down all 11 issues (including Batman #500 & Chase 1,000,000) and they were well worth it. I would love a one-shot reprinting all of Cam's SF&O apperances. And Manhunter was my favorite ongoing title, even before she joined the cast. All in all, Cameron Chase is one of my favorite characters.
    Last edited by rwe1138; 11-03-2006 at 07:00 PM.
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

I LOVED that book!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the interview Jonah

Great article slash interview. I was one of the fortunate few who bought the book from day one, as well as the Batman debut issue, mostly because of Williams' art at first...but soon Cameron's character and Johnson's great, naturalistic dialogue style won me over as well. It was one of several excellent (and sadly axed before their time) titles DC had out at then, including Major Bummer, Chronos, the Creeper (not to be confused with the awful miniseries currently coming out) and Young Heroes in Love.

It's nice to see her in Manhunter, where she's being handled well, if not exceptionally so (and the artists continue to draw her like some blonde bimbo, which is kinda annoying), but I sure do wish she could be scripted once more by Johnson, if only for a one-shot or two upon occasion. I think I speak for a lot of folks who would love to see those pages that were intended for #10...a trade collection would be nice, too, but I won't stand on one leg waiting.
    If you've got nothing better to do, check out my blog, The Johnny Bacardi Show!

She had Seven Seconds to save the world! The Trinity Building, the Unofficial Thriller web page!

Cheering the apocalypse DWEarhart's Avatar

Really good things reported here. Chase was the type of book I was looking for, and it came out at the right time for me, but like many other critically acclaimed books it was a low, low seller.

It could have been a great crossover piece for the likes of Gotham Central, and Checkmate, but since they are surviving in Manhunter it's great to see someone who gets these characters.

At least a mini by the creative team would be great to see.
    For what's on my mind: Destination Yes (back with a vengeance)

"Opinions, assholes, and elbows..."

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."

The second part of our look at "Chase" has been posted. We spoke with artist J.H. Williams III at length about what the book meant to his career and to him personally.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=9011
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Executive Producer, CBR
    - CBR - Twitter -

Glad to see this article. I'm happy anytime I get to read about Cameron.
    Robert Eddleman
    Panels on Pages

New Member Cat-Scratched-Victim's Avatar

Chase is one of those titles I miss. It was a great read as well as great for J H Williams' artwork. I really enjoyed the work about the inbetween generation of heroes (out at the same time as John Byrne's Lost Generation and better then LG) plus the characters. It was a real breath of fresh air at DC or with any super-hero comics.

I also miss Chronos from that time. It was a great title with room for growth and that did seem to be happening.

Pity they both got canned and now killed off, in the case of Chronos (OR is he dead? Read the series).

It's nice to see after all these years that I'm not the only person that fondly remembers this series. I was always mad that they cancelled the series without a good conclusion.
    One personal note, the last issue was bittersweet because it had a letter of mine published in it. I went on about how the series was going to build a cult following like STARMAN. Too bad the cult lasted longer than the series.

This was one of those series that would sell like hotcakes now.

Wrong time for it.

Bring back the DEO DC.

Gone

For a while, it was one of the few DC books I read.
    I couldnŽt bring myself to believe that the book was cancelled.
    Heck, I STILL canŽt.
    It had a wonderful story and art to die for.

Now IŽll never find out what Phil wanted to ask Bear.

Chase was excellent, i would love a TPB that not only republished the issues but also brought it to some kind of sensible conclusion.

I'm going to make a big call.

Chase was the Manhunter (as done by Archie Goodwin) of the 90s.