Master of Funk! Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Does Marvel need to keep labelling everything Ultimate?

A buddy of mine who isn't that familiar with comics asked me why almost all the new Marvel games kept sticking Ultimate in the title. I told him about the Ultimate line of comics, but then mentioned that the video games weren't really using those characters, but some kind of merger of the originals with the Ultimates. "So why bother calling them Ultimate then?" he asked "Just call it Marvel."

Does anybody really think labelling their games as Ultimate this and Ultimate that really makes anyone want to pick up these games more? The only people who care about these kind of distinctions are the same people who would realise that these aren't the Ultimate versions anyway.

I have to agree... And if it was a good game, would even the comic book fans care if it was the ultimate version or not?

Oh well, it's still not as bad as all the N64 games that had "64" in the title...

Dont you mean Bizarro? Captain Murphy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sanagi
    I have to agree... And if it was a good game, would even the comic book fans care if it was the ultimate version or not?

Oh well, it's still not as bad as all the N64 games that had "64" in the title...
    Yeah but Mario 64 was good

Which Marvel Games had "Ultimate" in the title?

I can only think of "Ultimate Alliance" and "Ultimate Spider Man" (which was pretty much a straight-up translation of Ultimate Spider-Man and not a "hybrid" like Ultimate Alliance.

Two games does not "all the new Marvel games" make....

Hulk : Ultimate Destruction (Best game Marvel's ever released, by the way.)

But still, that's only three games. Compared to the non-prefixed Spider-Man movie games, X-Men Legends 1 & 2, Rise of the Imperfects, the X-Men movie tie-in game, that's not even a majority.

I think "Ultimate" works the same way "Extreme" or "All-New" works in terms of sales.

Yea, Ultimate Alliance may not necessarily be of the Ultimate U per se, but a non comic reader will find "Ultimate" in the title subconciously interesting.

More or less. I doubt they're marketing these games solely to comics fans anyway, and I'd wager half of the buying public wouldn't know squat about "Ultimate" vs. normal Marvel U. They just say, "Oh hey! This game has Spider-Man AND Wolverine in it! That might be cool."

Ultimate is fast becoming my most hated catchphrase.

Ever since the dawn of mountain dew commercials my most hated catchphrase has been extreme. And now ultimate is starting to take its place. I hate buzz words!

At any rate thats what ultimate is, just something to catch peoples eye is all. It will go away eventually and be replaced with some other word.

I vote for "lugubrious".

Wlel lets see;

Ultimate SPider Man: Literaly based on the Ultimate Line.

Ultimate Destruction; Yes, Sieerra admits they went for "Ultimates' Hulk here, jus tmake him less of a crazy bastard, and a bette ruse of the Abonimation then the actual comic book.

Ultimate Alliance: Well as you know SHield is a bigger playe rin Ultimates world as they ar eleade rof "GOod guys' AN dI think they call it ultimate ALlaince, cause it's a big ass cast of chars (FF, X Men, Avengers, others.)

Funny note: X Mne Legends 2 is prett ymuch a fsion of 616/Ultiamtes, same as UA, an dwel in Legends2, Nick Fury was BLack, in this he is white.

Wolverine; How da hlel the you alter youe ethicity bub!?

Master of Funk! Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It was the one, two, three punch of Ultimate Destruction, Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Alliance that brought up the topic with my buddy. It's not every Marvel game, but it sure seems like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chou Blaster
    Funny note: X Mne Legends 2 is prett ymuch a fsion of 616/Ultiamtes, same as UA, an dwel in Legends2, Nick Fury was BLack, in this he is white.
    Nick Fury is really a little old Asian woman. Shield is just really lousy at picking body doubles.:)