Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default What If...? Avengers Disassembled *Review & Spoilers*

I passed on my better judgement because I wanted to hear reviews before buying it, but bought it. Anyway Jeff Parker is a good writer just even his rendition in this book was less then stellar. I think it pretty much shows how flawed the story was from its inception. Not even what if style could make this story interesting. I was hoping for some far out way cool new ideas thrown in here. Well I didnt see it. To me it read as bad as disassembled the first time around. Captain America masterminding the whole idea was awful.
    Hi, my name is Peter Parker and I make satanic pacts with demons. .I shall not buy Amazing Spider-Man until the marriage returns. Be a part of the movement.

Elder Member

Do Scarlet Witch or Magneto get any dialogue?

Yeah they do get some dialogue, but it isnt very satisfying. Basically Cap and Wanda were in love and wanted to create a world where there was peace and in order to do that they had to sacrifice some heroes which would power her up and when the new world was created everyone would be brought back to life. Pretty blahh stuff.
    Hi, my name is Peter Parker and I make satanic pacts with demons. .I shall not buy Amazing Spider-Man until the marriage returns. Be a part of the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by drwho
    Yeah they do get some dialogue, but it isnt very satisfying. Basically Cap and Wanda were in love and wanted to create a world where there was peace and in order to do that they had to sacrifice some heroes which would power her up and when the new world was created everyone would be brought back to life. Pretty blahh stuff.
    Well, even a good writer can't turn crap into perfume scented roses all the time when the basis, Avengers Disassembled, is such a bad idea to begin with.

Elder Member

I might pick it up, it sounds like it makes more sense then Dissembled.

I thought it was really good myself. I liked how it addressed all the problematic aspects of Avengers: Disassembled. Such as Dr. Strange's comment of 'No Such Thing as Chaos Magic' comment. Honestly, this wrap up to AD would have been much better than what we actually got. Jeff Parker is really becoming one of my favorite current Marvel writers. And he's one of the few right now who's work I would buy even if I didn't normally follow the characters. He does a great job of capturing everyone's voices. Plus the focus on Beast was great. Jeff Parker really really needs to get some bigger projects from Marvel. :D
    Super Hero Squad Online - Curious Mad General - Current Rank: 1300.

True Believer - Proud Purchaser Of The Marvel Heroes Ultimate Pack!

Quote Originally Posted by drwho

Sounds like Emerald Twilight/Zero hour all over again.

Did it work? I always said that if Hal tried that in the Marvel Universe it would have worked :)
    I wouldn't call it Blackmail. I prefer Extortion! The "X" makes it sound Exciting!

I'm drowning and Monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils! - Dilbert

A more detailed synopsis. I left out a lot of stuff, too much happens to do a small synopsis.

Beast isn't willing to just accept that it was all Scarlet Witch's doing. At least not without a thorough examination of the facts. So him and Ms. Marvel start going through all the facts. Talking to everyone involved. Even going to talk to Quicksilver about what happened. Things still arn't quite adding up. Beast and Ms. Marvel go to see Dr. Strange, who tells them that he's been busy for the last 5 days and wasn't involved in stopping Wanda. Dr. Strange uses his mystic arts to see what occured, and discovers that he and Magneto ere creations of Scarlet Witch. He confirms there is Chaos Magic, and that Wanda's boosted powers were due to her taping the death of the Avengers. Beast finally figures out what is going on. That the one who was in cahoots with Wanda was Captain America (their romance was real) and that they need to confront them. He enlists Cyclops to lead the group, as he's as much a master of battle strategy as Steve is. On Genosha Wanda has rebuild it and restored the dead to life, and her, Steve, and Magneto seem quite happy together.

The Avengers and X-Men arrive and split up, the heavy hitters making a direct move against Magneto's home while Beast, Cyclops, Ms. Marvel, Dr. Strange, Falcon, Iron Man, and Rogue sneak in the back way. Cap figured out their tactics though and attacks, while everyone else is busy fighting Magneto. Wanda disassembled Iron Man's armor and Cap slams the helmet down on Cyclops head, while Wanda wraps the others in magic. Captain America confronts Beast about how he figured it all out. Hank tells him that his hand was everywhere in what happened. Beast reveals that Vision's death didn't give Wanda a power boost, it was just the actions of jealous suitor. But each time the only ones who died were normal human heroes, it wouldn't give Wanda the power to do what they had planned. Steve reveals his plan, that their attack is exactly what Wanda needed. The deaths that will occur at Magneto's hands, will give Wanda sufficiant power to start her spell. But a noble soul will do even more. Xavier's revealed having drank poison to kill himself, so that Wanda could power her spell to make a world of peace. Something he's long dreamed of, but seems to never be in his grasp.

Ms. Marvel calls to Scott, who dives at Wanda and pushes her into range of Ms. Marvel who grabs her and reveals herself to really be Rogue. Rogue absorbs Wanda's powers and disrupts her spell which malfunctions, blinking everyone who was fighting outside out of existance. Steve is angry at them for interrupting things, and picks Wanda up into his arms. Tony reveals that he knows why Steve is acting this way, the Super Soldier Serum and his time on ice damaged his brain. Which makes sense, given what happened to the other Super Soldiers. Wanda snaps back awake and lashes out, and declares she needs to fix things. Steve tells her to stop, that they're right about him. He embraces her and tells her to find their friends and to take them to them. The vanish into oblivion together, joining the others who are gone forever. Dr. Strange notes that in Steve's moment of clarity that he realized that they were just to great a threat to continue to exist.

Everyone leaves, leaving behind Dr. Strange and Beast. Strange tells Hank to go, that he must use the Eye of Agamotto to see what might have been. Hank's upset, that if he would have left it all alone things may have worked out for the best. Dr. Strange agrees to show him, and he sees what might of been. He's shown several versions of what might have been. The one most likely to have worked was a paradise created by the the pair, combined of his ideas and his wife's heritage. In that reality Wanda and Steve had two twin sons. At the end of the issue Beast is kneeled before Captain America's shield, asking himself what he's done. The final panel the Watcher says that what he's seen is a burden no man should bear. That task is his alone.

The best part was the explanation of what Strange said/did during Avengers Disassembled can we accept that part as continuity, as most said though the explanation and characterization of Cap made less sense than the real Disassembled, but the rest of it was better than the real thing
    the preceding announcement was paid for by the new World order
    Got paranormal problems? Contact Boarderline Investigations. (*17) 555 - 2368. Ask for Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by Taskmaster
    The best part was the explanation of what Strange said/did during Avengers Disassembled can we accept that part as continuity, as most said though the explanation and characterization of Cap made less sense than the real Disassembled, but the rest of it was better than the real thing
    Well, it would explain the odd romance between Wanda/Steve in Avengers: Disassembled. That never seemed to make a whole lot of sense in something Wanda would do. And like Tony said in the issue, brain damage from the SSS and being frozen in ice works for explaining his screwed up mind. :)

Heck, it was never even especially clear in the original story if Cap and Wanda's affair was real or not. Wanda herself was completely cold towards Cap at one point in the story, as if the things he was taking about had never happened. But even then, it wasn't said if it was an illusion she was creating, or if it was part of the OTHER Cap-suffering-hallucinations story that was going on in CA&F at the time.

But, yeah, on the whole, before this "What If" actually answered its question and started diverging from established events, the explanations it served up for the silliness of the original event were VERY palatable, and something I'd like to see integrated into mainstream continuity...

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    Well, it would explain the odd romance between Wanda/Steve in Avengers: Disassembled. That never seemed to make a whole lot of sense in something Wanda would do. And like Tony said in the issue, brain damage from the SSS and being frozen in ice works for explaining his screwed up mind. :)
    it makes no sense at all unless you consider Captain America to be bat-effing insane, at the moment. i found this book to be, both, insulting and poorly written. Captain America though it was worth it to sacrifice Ant-man (leaving Cassie fatherless) and Hawkeye (supposedly, a "brother" to Steve) so he could shack up with Wanda in paradise? and then he had her destroy Vision out of jealosy? this is the guy who scolded Iron Man for making a move on the then-divorced Wasp. what garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunt
    it makes no sense at all unless you consider Captain America to be bat-effing insane, at the moment. i found this book to be, both, insulting and poorly written. Captain America though it was worth it to sacrifice Ant-man (leaving Cassie fatherless) and Hawkeye (supposedly, a "brother" to Steve) so he could shack up with Wanda in paradise? and then he had her destroy Vision out of jealosy? this is the guy who scolded Iron Man for making a move on the then-divorced Wasp. what garbage.
    What part of brain damage don't you seem to grasp? It's stated right in the issue that Steve isn't in his right mind. It's certainly no worse than what was done to Wanda in Avengers: Disassembled.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Haunt
    It made more sense then Avengers Dissembled.

BANNED

Made more sense then Disassembled. The brain damage for cap didn't make much sense though but it is a what if.