Default This shouldn't bother me, but --

I read too many comics blogs. I know that. There's probably a core of a dozen or so that I visit on a daily basis, but if you spend enough time in a cage, you start thinking like the tiger, you know? Convention wisdom means "conventional wisdom of the blogosphere," etc. etc.

But I saw it again twice today in comments left at different blogs: This contention that interview writers review comics only for the writing and not the art.

And I want to scream. I just spent a good chunk of my STREET FIGHTER: ULTIMATE EDITION review discussing the art. Last month's look at PREVIEWS highlighted different artists whose work I miss. etc. etc. I guess it's easier for me since I try to write spoiler-free. I can't discuss the story in graphic detail, so I make up for it with art analysis or something.

I've seen my hits and I know people do read this column. Maybe it's just the general trend of the blogosphere to navel-gaze or something. I don't know. I know I'm an antiquated columnist in a world where all the cool kids are bloggers.

It just bugs me sometimes. I feel better now, thanks.

Next week: Art Art Art Art Art. Art Adams. Art Nichols. Arthur Treacher. Whatever is takes!

-Augie

Does this bother you as well?

Is AUGIE DE BLIECK a real person?

Trip

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

OMG!

Dude, you're a friggin' urban myth! :D
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

BWAH HA HA! Thanks, Trip. That makes my day!

I have to respond now.

-Augie

How does it feel to have your existence called into question? That would bother me, I think.

Screw other people and thier generalities. You do a good job of splitting up your reviews between story and art. Any comics reviewer who focuses on writing and not the art is only doing half their job, possibly a quarter of the job if they don't discuss coloring and lettering (if those are worth noting.) And buck up, most bloggers are just kids or old guys who wished they were columnists, and as an infrequent blogger I can say this.

Quote Originally Posted by Augie De Blieck Jr.
    I read too many comics blogs. I know that. There's probably a core of a dozen or so that I visit on a daily basis, but if you spend enough time in a cage, you start thinking like the tiger, you know? Convention wisdom means "conventional wisdom of the blogosphere," etc. etc.
    What are the blogs you visit?

You wish, fanpigboy!!

Thumbs up More Art Please, with coleslaw.

Mmmm, Arthur Treacher! Please review this soon. The hot oil, the battered scrod, the fresh cut Idaho potatoes.

Don't let it get under your skin. Your reviews have always had a nice balanced focus between story and art. The sad fact is that comics are about storytelling. Great writing with bad art is easier to tolerate than bad writing with great art.

Cheering the apocalypse DWEarhart's Avatar

I've refocused my attention, as Steven Grant put it long ago, to truly access a comic, one must basically split the brain in half.

I've made a point to focus on the art for the little reviews that I do hear and there, especially on the last two for Ion and Deathblow. I admit, I'm a writer-first kind of guy, but it is time to bring the art back into minds of the readers, enforcing it as an equal part of the storytelling process, since it is anyway.
    For what's on my mind: Destination Yes (back with a vengeance)

"Opinions, assholes, and elbows..."

"The internet is the greatest invention for schizophrenics everywhere." - DWEarhart

"Well that was back in the day, and if you weren't there, it doesn't matter anyway because you wouldn't understand." - Megadeth.

"You need people like me. We do the jobs you :rolleyes: morally significant refuse to do."