Default Battlestar Galactica as allegory for Iraq.

http://www.slate.com/id/2151425/

In light of Steven's recent review of the 3rd Season of BG where he touched upon this issue I thought people might be interested in this article that talks about it.

If the Cylons in this Battlestar Galactica storyline ultimately end their occupation and are forced to withdraw, then yes, the allegory is going to be a very apt and accurate one...

Animation & Illustration

I think people are being a little shortsighted... it's an allegory for war, for occupations of all sort. The German occupation of France in WW2, the English occupation of American soil during the Revolution, it's about the lengths that people go to when they are backed into a corner or driven by pain and vengeance.

We like to forget that we were also "insurgents" at one time, and we love to help "insurgents" that are fighting against governments that aren't... well, us. We call it "regime change".

I think what's important is not to reduce people and their motives to simple stereotypes, and that's something BSG is doing well.
    Last edited by Inkthinker; 11-03-2006 at 11:24 AM.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read"- Groucho Marx

Illustration Gallery
    2D Animation Studio

well, this finally aired in the UK this week. I'd managed to stay pretty clear but, from my lefty leaning Anglo centric viewpoint, it's supposed to be a parallel to Iraq but (I've only seen the first 2 eps) it's remarkably well balanced.

I know we're supposed to sympathise for the humans on New Caprica but, do Tigh's actions allow us to? Arguably no. What about the police force, trying to do the right thing by their people?

Arguably the best take on this can be seen in the websiodes when the Jammer/ ginger guy dialogue is taking place...

For what it's worth (and this is massively my own personal opinion), if watching this episode makes one person form their own view of the war in Iraq (either pro or anti) then it's done it's job.