Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Retcon Punch Victim StrikeForce Albert's Avatar

This doesn't even READ like a Grant Morrison book. It was so normal it was odd. Just wierd. Grant's my favorite writer so I'll stick with it.

In Grant We Trust

This is my first post here, and I guess I was compelled to finally register out of my dislike for this awful first issue. I'm a big fan of Morrison, but I really hate the shift in tone he has brought to the Authority. What an ugly, boring comic.

It really is a terrible looking book. The cinematic effects such as the blurring of panels did nothing but draw attention to themselves and remind me I was reading a comic. The colors look like dishwater . . . a world I don't want to visit again.

In the new WildCats (didn't like that, either), Hadrian says "All these widescreen battles and public displays of stupidity: It's vulgar and frightening. Adolescent."

Well, I for one, miss those days already.

I'm dropping the whole damn line.

Damn you Grant Morrison! I thought you were like me and against all this decompression in comics. With that said I'm kind of digging where it's going...

It's interesting that this comic is like the complete opposite of WildCats. Its slower paced, the art is more naturalistic, even the marital drama is very low key. Kind of reminds me of a Tomine book or something. He's establishing a very real world here. It'll be interesting when The Authority actually do show up.

Yeah I wish they showed up in this issue. But I think once they do things will start getting interesting.

Two bad about the two month wait...

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

ehh build up issue, thats all, ill wait till next issue to judge :evilsmile

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeForce Albert
    This doesn't even READ like a Grant Morrison book. It was so normal it was odd. Just wierd. Grant's my favorite writer so I'll stick with it.

In Grant We Trust
    EXACTLY! Sea Guy, Flex Mentallo, We 3, Grant Morrison has written enough messed up crazy whing-dang books to really whet the appetite for a run on The Authority. The Man who brought us Vimanarama's latest outing is a three buck footnote to a story.

This book could have been written by anyone. Mind, I ain't dropping it because it IS Grant Morrison. For all the great times he's given me I can forgive him this one misstep, but dis' book was boring as all heck get out!

It IS the real world, you know, maybe it's SUPPOSED to be boring and drab...It'll be interesting to see how The Authority handles being in a relative boring situation.

And I'm pretty sure there were some subtle hints that things might not be what they seem. No concrete hints but this IS Grant Morrison. A stray pixel on the page could be Magneto or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy
    ehh build up issue, thats all, ill wait till next issue to judge :evilsmile
    Next issue could be nothing but outrageous violence and hard core gay sex. That is why we read The Authority damnit!

Well, we weren't expecting this! And you just know Grant was looking for that response, so like others have said, we just gotta trust him.

Let's talk about what actually could be happening in the book for a minute. My impression is that something bad awful knocked the Carrier out of orbit and sank it to the brimy depths of Davy Jones' Locker....and I think the Authority are trapped inside.

And I think whatever was responsible for putting the Authority down there was what invaded the sub and destroyed it and it's crew. Why? 'Cause they were getting too close to the Carrier, and this unseen enemy doesn't want the Authority to have a snowball's chance in hell of being found and set free.

There was an interesting moment in the book when the searchers noticed the interdimensional door open inside the submarine.

Regarding how the Authority ended up in "the real world"

spoilers:
    Didn't Morrison say in one of his interviews that the Wildcats tossed the Authority here.
    end of spoilers

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by unkiedev
    There's a fine line between "Playing on fan's expectations" and "Failing to deliver on a story." Authority is a highly anticipated book. Imagine if they relaunched the Muppets on TV and the first episode had no puppets, just some intrigue under water.
    I miss The Muppet Show. :(

WOW!! I was really, really dissapointed with this bum ass book. You know what pisses me off more? The fact that I didn't have enough cash for it and figured that instead of getting a number 5, I'll just get a dollar menu double cheeseburger just so I can get this book. WHAT A RIP OFF!!! BOO!!! BOO THIS BOOK!! Submarine investigation my arse!! Way to go Wildstorm! So far all your books sucked. Great job. Losers!!!

.....she gets her god like powers from my side of the family

bad signal
    WARREN ELLIS

I understand Morrison's first
    AUTHORITY is out. People keep
    asking me about it. I haven't seen it
    yet. As a thing I don't own, I have
    little interest in what is done with it,
    but I'll look because Grant wrote it.
    Grant's smart enough to know that
    the old style's been taken as far as
    it can go.

---
    Sent via mobile device
    sent from pub, street or road

After reading a number of reviews and remembering back to how the original Authority series ended I've changed my mind a bit about this book. The series was so over the top with each storyline trying to outdo the last in over the top spectacle maybe the new series has to start over viewing the Authority from another angle. I did not like the first issue but if the Authority can show up sometime by next issue I'll give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic Eric
    After reading a number of reviews and remembering back to how the original Authority series ended I've changed my mind a bit about this book. The series was so over the top with each storyline trying to outdo the last in over the top spectacle maybe the new series has to start over viewing the Authority from another angle. I did not like the first issue but if the Authority can show up sometime by next issue I'll give it another try.
    I can't say I loved the issue but I'm intrigued where things are headed. Warren Ellis has a point there's only so far you could take the original Authority concept. I mean once you kill God and take over the world where else can you go? Morrison is heading pretty much the opposite direction. Whether it works or not remains to be seen.

My major qualm was we didn't see The Authority in this issue and the fact the book is bimonthly doesn't help things.

Not comics, it's Vertigo. noh-varr's Avatar

I liked the story. As a random first issue it was good. As Authority #1 it didn't seem right, but it really reminded me of the Invisibles issue that focused on a guy who died in the first issue and only appeared in one or two panels originaly. He devoted a whole entire issue to this guy's back story who was inconsequential to the whole story itself. I thought it was a good issue, and will either be picking up the next one or the trade later.

Oh and Gene Ha's artwork looked great, that will make things even better over the coming months. Great art and Grant Morrison.
    Noh-Varr Reviews: The Silence of Our Friends by Mark Long, Jim Demonakos, and Nate Powell.