View Poll Results: Was Bucky's return a good idea?

Voters
163. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes- It was a good idea.

105 64.42%
  • No- It was not a good idea.

58 35.58%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Was Bucky's return a good idea?

The big question here is "Was the return of Bucky in Ed Brubaker's Captain America" a good idea?

I've noticed that there's some controversy about the subject, so I'm curious to see how the board will vote.

I can understand readers have more than a few reservations about the concept, but, IMO, it was very well-done.

It is one of those things that when you hear you go "WHAT How could they just bring him back it's stupid"

But when you actually read it your just "Wow this is great stuff" it's one of those examples of how to do stuff correctly. Unlike Jason Todd whose reapperance was chalked up to Superboy Prime punching walls of reality. Bit pathetic in comparrison really.
    "I See Your Passion. Passion Begets Hunger. Hunger Devours Worlds. I Will Never Allow Another World To Fall"

Silver Surfer Speaking To Cable: Cable & Deadpool#10

Thumbs up

Yeah in the begining everyone hated the idea, but Brubaker worked his magic and executed the idea perfectly.No regrets on that.I'm glad they brought Bucky back and put more depth into him.
    Amazing Spider-Man, Future Foundation, Captain America, The Invincible Iron Man, The Mighty Thor, The New Avengers, The Avengers, Batman Inc., Detective Comics, Green Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Mo S.
    I can understand readers have more than a few reservations about the concept, but, IMO, it was very well-done.
    The question isn't "was it well done" but "should it have been done".

No, it should not have been done (i.e., was not a good idea).

Certainly, it's possible for a skilled writer to construct a well-written story where, for example, Batman's parents are revealed to have been alive all along, or Superman's older brother--complete with Kryptonian family--arrives on Earth. But each of these occurrences would change an essential element of their character, personality, motivation, and core identity. It changes an essential aspect of their personal myth.

Batman isn't Batman unless his parents died horribly. Superman is Superman unless he's the Last Son of Krypton.

Cap's losing Bucky was an essential part of his personal myth.

So, however skillfully it was done, it should not have been done.

Peace,
    Syzygy

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Thing is, Bucky wasn't essential to Cap's character and hadn't been for years. Uncle Ben with Spider-Man? Yeah. Batman with his parents? Yeah. Cap with Bucky? Less so. Cap isn't motivated by tragedy so much as he's motivated by idealism and a sense of duty.

I'd say it was a good idea since it was well executed. If it'd been poorly executed, it would've sucked.
    Expletive Deleted

AS a character if he was given his own series what would really differentiate himself from some one like the Punisher? Do we know what type of personality he has yet?
    Hi, my name is Peter Parker and I make satanic pacts with demons. .I shall not buy Amazing Spider-Man until the marriage returns. Be a part of the movement.

What about him is similar, aside from using guns?
    Expletive Deleted

Dont know, but what is different? i guess I cant tell what his personality is like yet.
    Hi, my name is Peter Parker and I make satanic pacts with demons. .I shall not buy Amazing Spider-Man until the marriage returns. Be a part of the movement.

Well, he's not motivated by the same things, he's operating in a different genre, and he's got an entirely different modus operandi and skill set.

You might as well ask how Cable is different from Punisher.
    Expletive Deleted

I don't like the idea. Even after reading the unfinished story, I don't like. Mind you, the story itself is wonderful, possibly the best thing written in 616 continuity right now. But bringing back Bucky feels wrong to me. For me, it seems to embody the end of death in comics...

Pfft. That ship sailed in 1986.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
    Pfft. That ship sailed in 1986.
    Was that when Jean came back?

It could've been a bad idea, but it was well-done and gave us a cool new character in Winter Soldier.
    For-Real-True is only true now.

Story-True is true forever.

-Lizzie Hexam "The Unwritten"

It was done well and was a great Cap epic... I just wish the issues afterwards were just as good.

2007 Mutant League Champion