Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 96
  1. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TinMan
    I disagree thoroughly on this point. There is only one person I have ever played in Mortal Kombat that could rival me at any level, and thats my brother.
    The same guy who gets owned at SC by people who've never touched the game? That's not a huge display of skill on your part. How many people do you play against anyway? For all I know "everyone you've ever played" means 4 people. Do you play online? Are you playing against people who aren't in your household? If you're losing or almost losing to people who don't know what they're doing, you aren't as good as you think you are.

    I could play Deadly Alliance on max difficulty and finish Quan Chi/Shang Tsung (whichever was the final battle) with two flawless victories in a row. I am NO slouch at those games.
    Fighting game AI is ass. Even VF4's AI (which stomps every other fighting game out there) has massive holes in it. Even an average player is more challenging than AI. I can play GGX2 on maniac difficulty and damn near triple-perfect my way through every match. That doesn't mean I'm winning tournaments

    But I have had people that never played before get close to beating me (or at least beat me in one round) because I underestimated the randomness of button mashing. All I'm saying is that I've seen a lot accomplished by button mashing in Tekken and SC, not to mention that I don't like the control response in either one or the side stepping.
    All that proves is you can't play those games. If someone's button mashing then EVERYTHING you do becomes a counter-hit. That means that EVERYTHING you do does extra damage. EVERYTHING you do causes a stun or launches them into the air, which leads into constant combos for you. EVERYTHING you do is guaranteed to connect because they'll be so busy button mashing that they can't guard/GI/parry. Everything, and I mean everything is massively stacked in your favor. Losing to a masher, especially in Tekken and SC, should be nearly impossible. There's just too much going for you. The very fact that they can't/won't defend themselves practically wins the match for you. Even simpler fighting games like DOA follow those rules.

  2. #77
    Made of RAGE! TinMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Middle of Knowhere
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser
    The same guy who gets owned at SC by people who've never touched the game? That's not a huge display of skill on your part. How many people do you play against anyway? For all I know "everyone you've ever played" means 4 people. Do you play online? Are you playing against people who aren't in your household? If you're losing or almost losing to people who don't know what they're doing, you aren't as good as you think you are.
    I'm not a #$%^in kid man, I don't just play with siblings. No, when D.A. came out I was 20 years old and sat around with no less than 5 friends a night (I worked second shift and went to college) and played that game endlessly for about 4 months. At first we were all pretty evenly skilled seeing as it was a new game, but after awhile I started stomping them. It got to the point where they refused to play with me unless I handicapped myself to 25% health because I would demolish them so quickly. Playing against me stopped being a competition between them and I and turned into a competition between the others guys of who could get the closest to beating me. Sorry, but I'm damn good at those games and when I've almost lost it's like I said, I underestimated people or because I was going easy and not balls to the wall. I've never played online cause I'm not paying for that $#!^.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser
    Fighting game AI is ass. Even VF4's AI (which stomps every other fighting game out there) has massive holes in it. Even an average player is more challenging than AI. I can play GGX2 on maniac difficulty and damn near triple-perfect my way through every match. That doesn't mean I'm winning tournaments
    I'll assume your knowledge and skills are the be all and end all great guru. :rolleyes:

    Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser
    All that proves is you can't play those games. If someone's button mashing then EVERYTHING you do becomes a counter-hit. That means that EVERYTHING you do does extra damage. EVERYTHING you do causes a stun or launches them into the air, which leads into constant combos for you. EVERYTHING you do is guaranteed to connect because they'll be so busy button mashing that they can't guard/GI/parry. Everything, and I mean everything is massively stacked in your favor. Losing to a masher, especially in Tekken and SC, should be nearly impossible. There's just too much going for you. The very fact that they can't/won't defend themselves practically wins the match for you. Even simpler fighting games like DOA follow those rules.
    How many times do I have to tell you before you understand this? I DON'T CARE. I've played those !@#$ing games and I CAN'T stand the gameplay. As a matter of fact I was playing Tekken Tag over the weekend cause my brother insisted and it made me realize how BAD the gameplay is and how crappy the control response is. I was actually gonna give SC more of a shot since you, my brother and a couple of my friends think so highly of it, but we'll see about that one.

    Now if you don't mind, I'm going to end this conversation because your lack of being able to discuss this in a mature way rather than being sarcastic and condescending is getting old.
    Respect should be given until it deserves to be withheld; Trust is earned.

  3. #78
    willpower pwnz fear comicstar100's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oa manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Anyone care to post some pics of their created characters? I'd love to see a few of them.
    "I was raised in your shadow. Now, you' re gonna die in mine. No one will even remember your name"-Lex Luthor: Smallville

  4. #79
    Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    13,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TinMan
    I'm not a #$%^in kid man, I don't just play with siblings. No, when D.A. came out I was 20 years old and sat around with no less than 5 friends a night (I worked second shift and went to college) and played that game endlessly for about 4 months. At first we were all pretty evenly skilled seeing as it was a new game, but after awhile I started stomping them. It got to the point where they refused to play with me unless I handicapped myself to 25% health because I would demolish them so quickly. Playing against me stopped being a competition between them and I and turned into a competition between the others guys of who could get the closest to beating me. Sorry, but I'm damn good at those games and when I've almost lost it's like I said, I underestimated people or because I was going easy and not balls to the wall. I've never played online cause I'm not paying for that $#!^.


    I'll assume your knowledge and skills are the be all and end all great guru. :rolleyes:


    How many times do I have to tell you before you understand this? I DON'T CARE. I've played those !@#$ing games and I CAN'T stand the gameplay. As a matter of fact I was playing Tekken Tag over the weekend cause my brother insisted and it made me realize how BAD the gameplay is and how crappy the control response is. I was actually gonna give SC more of a shot since you, my brother and a couple of my friends think so highly of it, but we'll see about that one.

    Now if you don't mind, I'm going to end this conversation because your lack of being able to discuss this in a mature way rather than being sarcastic and condescending is getting old.
    Seriously, you are the one acting immature. What he was telling you are either highly popular opinions, or just plain facts (especially the counter hit thing that you had a hissy fit about).

    The fact that you haven't played online kinda proves that you don't really know how good you are. Even worse, the button mashing thing proves you're not as good as you say (or your brother).

    He's also right about the AI thing. I can get a double perfect on Night Terror in the hardest difficulty of SCIII with Xianguha, yet I'm definitely not a tournament-tier player. I just know the noticable holes in the AI.

    I'm sorry that your pride is taking some hits, but you pretty much on the wrong end of the debate. Sure, it is your opinion, but it's not a very informed one.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."


    - Stanisław Jerzy Lec

    http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

  5. #80

    Default

    ANYWAY.

    I bought MK:A, and it rocks. Being able to use Sheeva again made the game for me, plus Motaro, Reiko, Mileena, and Rain? I'm there!
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

  6. #81
    Elder Member Black Atom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,658

    Default

    The Motor Kombat is actually really fun.
    "I think we can help. Mercedes is black; I'm gay. We make culture." - Kurt, Glee.

  7. #82
    Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    13,768

    Default

    If this were any other MK game, it would have been sold a long time ago. I'm still playing this one.

    Great.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."


    - Stanisław Jerzy Lec

    http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

  8. #83
    Man Without a Country Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Yeah, gotta love Sheeva. After playing for quite a while, i think Reiko is seriously my favorite. I remember him vaguely from MK4, but mostly just his costume and horrible fatality. Anyone know how he shifted from being Shinnok's general to Shao Kahn's? I'm also starting to enjoy the cheapness that is Fujin, and Rain is also interesting, if you use the alternate costume. His main is just... fruity. Mavado is growing on me, as well. And of course, my old favorites like Kung Lao, Kano, and Johnny Cage are still kickin. That up+circle kick that cage has is insane. My roommate plays mostly Jax, Frost, and Shiva, but we're both pretty diverse with the characters we choose. I'm still tryng to figure out why they switched/dropped certain characters signature moves, like Scorpion's teleport punch. They gave it to chameleon to represent scorp's moves? And why does reptile have that horrible rolling move?

  9. #84
    Snake baby! Captain Trips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Atom
    The Motor Kombat is actually really fun.
    You're right. It really is a lot of fun to play.

  10. #85

    Default

    Damn, all this time and the only characters I've really used are Sub-Zero and my custom fighter. So far the only thing that's really let me down are the endings, especially since the intro was so cool. Considering that this is supposed to be the big finish to this MK storyline, you'd think there'd be a little more than a 10 second voice over going, "blahblahblah the end".

    Quote Originally Posted by TinMan
    I'm not a #$%^in kid man, I don't just play with siblings. No, when D.A. came out I was 20 years old and sat around with no less than 5 friends a night (I worked second shift and went to college) and played that game endlessly for about 4 months. At first we were all pretty evenly skilled seeing as it was a new game, but after awhile I started stomping them. It got to the point where they refused to play with me unless I handicapped myself to 25% health because I would demolish them so quickly. Playing against me stopped being a competition between them and I and turned into a competition between the others guys of who could get the closest to beating me. Sorry, but I'm damn good at those games and when I've almost lost it's like I said, I underestimated people or because I was going easy and not balls to the wall. I've never played online cause I'm not paying for that $#!^.
    "I can beat up 5 people! I'm the best MK player ever!"

    Awesome. So basically I was right. Just replace "4 people" with "5 people".

    I'll assume your knowledge and skills are the be all and end all great guru. :rolleyes:
    Yes, even though I clearly stated that I'm not the best player ever in one of my earlier posts to make a point. Thank you for paying attention

    Besides, you're the only one who's been bragging about how good he supposedly is.

    How many times do I have to tell you before you understand this? I DON'T CARE. I've played those !@#$ing games and I CAN'T stand the gameplay.
    I don't care if you actually like the games or not. Not once did I actually comment on what games you should be playing or what you like. I only had a problem with you making up things like magical 15-hit combos that don't exist.

    Again, I never told you that "X" game is better than "Y" game or commented on your taste. Please, try to keep up

    As a matter of fact I was playing Tekken Tag over the weekend cause my brother insisted and it made me realize how BAD the gameplay is and how crappy the control response is.
    This is what I meant earlier. I don't care if you like Tekken, but "crappy control response"? You hit a button, and the action is executed immediately. How is that crappy? The fact that Tekken's control response is so GOOD is the reason you can do things like 'Just Frames' which require you to input commands in 1/60th of a second.

    See? This is why it sounds like you're either making things up or just don't know what you're talking about.

    Now if you don't mind, I'm going to end this conversation because your lack of being able to discuss this in a mature way rather than being sarcastic and condescending is getting old.
    You're the one flipping out....

    I'm sorry if you think I'm being condescending by correcting you. Maybe if you weren't trying to prove me wrong by pulling things out of thin air, I wouldn't have had to do it so much. You're basically sitting there telling everyone that grass is purple and the sun is made of cotton candy and getting angry when nobody believes you. Saying, "I don't like Street Fighter" is one thing, "I don't like Street Fighter because I can mash combos that don't exist in a gameplay engine specifically designed in a way that makes it impossible" is something else.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 10-28-2006 at 07:51 AM.

  11. #86
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100
    Anyone care to post some pics of their created characters? I'd love to see a few of them.
    I don't know how to do that But here's a link. Hope tis helps.

  12. #87
    I only HAVE good sides! Super Macho Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hollywood, California
    Posts
    786

    Default

    I have to know: Does the fact that each fighter only has 2 styles now hurt the gameplay? Deception was good because it managed to fully combine the old games with the new; does Armageddon do that?
    "When I'm done with you, no one's gonna dare take your picture."

    -Super Macho Man

  13. #88
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devon Campbell
    I have to know: Does the fact that each fighter only has 2 styles now hurt the gameplay? Deception was good because it managed to fully combine the old games with the new; does Armageddon do that?
    I'm lost here? How can you say that Deception has the original Mortal Kombat game in mind when most of the most of the original characters are dead. Is it just me are does that make no sense?
    Last edited by mybotisgone; 10-29-2006 at 12:31 AM.

  14. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devon Campbell
    I have to know: Does the fact that each fighter only has 2 styles now hurt the gameplay?
    No. Extra moves have been added to the each style and the combo system has been expanded so it's not like they just subtracted moves from the characters

  15. #90
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    320

    Default

    i was playing around with the Kreate a Fighter and I fond out that you can have a Fighter like Lara Croft from Tomb Raider. Even her backpack is in the game.:D
    Last edited by mybotisgone; 10-29-2006 at 09:39 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •