Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Sidequest

Default Best Sidequest

Like the title says: Which game had the sidequests you most enjoyed playing, or were in some other ways satisfying rather than annoying?

I really liked Baten Kaitos' Family Tree Sidequest, personally.
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer

I got addicted to FF8's and FF9's card games. I spent ages trying to find them all.
    X-Poster of the Year 2005
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

Mutant League Winner 2006

I got hooked on shooting baskets (B-ball) in FFVII. Lame huh?

Tales of Symphonia, the weapons of the abyss. Pretty much collect all of the weapons and complete a small dungeon to face a powerful opponent. Doesn't sound like much, but I found it to be very fun.

The ghost train in final fantasy 3 was my favorite.

To bad they dont do side quests anymore, now you get gimmicky little games or collect so many of something and the rest is very linear in that you see everything in a certain order and just go from one thing to the next. Side quests used to be cool because it let you do fun stuff that wasnt integral to the story but added to it or allowed a unique weapon.

In Chrono Trigger, rescuing Chrono from the moment in time in which he was killed by Lavos. Seriously, in what other game was the ressurection of the hero optional?

Quote Originally Posted by Gargus
    The ghost train in final fantasy 3 was my favorite.

To bad they dont do side quests anymore, now you get gimmicky little games or collect so many of something and the rest is very linear in that you see everything in a certain order and just go from one thing to the next. Side quests used to be cool because it let you do fun stuff that wasnt integral to the story but added to it or allowed a unique weapon.
    To be fair, I don't think that the ghost train was a sidequest, as it wasn't optional, AFAIR.

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Killing all 4 mob bosses in New Reno in Fallout 2. Or becoming a Made Man. Whichever you chose. It was fun, and you didn't HAVE to complete any of it to beat the game.
    "You blew it! You blew it! Hear that video crowd? THEY HATE YOU!"

Veteran Member

Getting Cloud and all the other extras in Final Fantasy Tactics....

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan
    Getting Cloud and all the other extras in Final Fantasy Tactics....
    More like getting CLoud then leveling him up to par. Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid
    To be fair, I don't think that the ghost train was a sidequest, as it wasn't optional, AFAIR.
    You can bypass it making it a sidequest. After you meet sabin if you go through the haunted woods place you find it, or you can head straight to the other town where you meet your group mates and fight the guard people in those walking robots. Its just like getting gogo in your party, you can beat the game without doing it, so its a sidequest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargus
    You can bypass it making it a sidequest. After you meet sabin if you go through the haunted woods place you find it, or you can head straight to the other town where you meet your group mates and fight the guard people in those walking robots. Its just like getting gogo in your party, you can beat the game without doing it, so its a sidequest.
    No, as I recall the Haunted Forest is NOT a sidequest - there's no way to avoid going through there in order to advance back to Narshe, which is the point of Sabin's Scenario. You have to make your way to Nikeah to grab a boat back to Narshe.
    "You blew it! You blew it! Hear that video crowd? THEY HATE YOU!"

Well excuuuse me princess Mike Pothier's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on till morning

The Haunted Forest and Phantom Train cannot be bypassed, AFAIK. So that definitely does not make it an optional quest.

Edit: Scratch that. Make that all the sidequests you do in Chrono Trigger. God that game rocked.
    Last edited by Mike Pothier; 10-10-2006 at 07:00 PM.
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!

I'd like to toss in Chocobo Hot and Cold for FFIX, as well as all the Bounties in Skies of Arcadia Legends.

I liked the random secret sidequests from Fallout 2. Like where you meet the bridge-keeper from Monty Python's Holy Grail or where you have to traverse a field full of exploding cows. Or when you encounter a dead whale and a pot of flowers.

I also liked the optional levels in Myth 2. Deer-hunting and blowing up large quantities of enemy troops is always fun.