Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Top Ten Anime and Manga according to Japanese Poll

http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9617

The Japanese Media Arts Festival polled 80,000 Japanese fans and the result is these lists:

1. Slam Dunk (Manga)
    2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Manga)
    3. Dragon Ball (Manga)
    4. Fullmetal Alchemist (Manga)
    5. Doraemon (Manga)
    6. Phoenix (Manga)
    7. Black Jack (Manga)
    8. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Manga)
    9. Mushishi (Manga)
    10. Death Note (Manga)

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV)
    2. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Movie)
    3. Laputa - Castle in the Sky (Movie)
    4. Mobile Suit Gundam (TV)
    5. Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (movie)
    6. Mushishi (TV)
    7. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV)
    8. My Neighbor Totoro (Movie)
    9. Full Metal Alchemist (TV)
    10. Ghost in the Shell (Movie)

These are interesting lists, I think. While some are obviously current fan favorites, there's a lot of just plain quality titles here. Evangelion is still fresh enough in people's minds to claim the number one spot, and people still love the original Dragon Ball manga. Osamu Tezuka and Hayao Miyazaki deservedly take up a number of slots each. The thing that heartens me the most is the presence of Nausicaa on both lists, and I suspect that Evangelion will tend to decline in popularity as time passes away from its shocking debut(and as its sharp edges continue to be smoothed over by imitator shows like Rahxephon), while Nausicaa has proven its longevity.

Valencia, Venezuela, feeling rather sucky. Or ducky.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure at number 2? What are they dumping into Japan's water supply?

All Roads Lead To Hell 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The Legendary Fortress Of Solitude, The Strangest Place On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Sanagi
    http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9617

The Japanese Media Arts Festival polled 80,000 Japanese fans and the result is these lists:

1. Slam Dunk (Manga)
    2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Manga)
    3. Dragon Ball (Manga)
    4. Fullmetal Alchemist (Manga)
    5. Doraemon (Manga)
    6. Phoenix (Manga)
    7. Black Jack (Manga)
    8. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Manga)
    9. Mushishi (Manga)
    10. Death Note (Manga)

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV)
    2. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Movie)
    3. Laputa - Castle in the Sky (Movie)
    4. Mobile Suit Gundam (TV)
    5. Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (movie)
    6. Mushishi (TV)
    7. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV)
    8. My Neighbor Totoro (Movie)
    9. Full Metal Alchemist (TV)
    10. Ghost in the Shell (Movie)

These are interesting lists, I think. While some are obviously current fan favorites, there's a lot of just plain quality titles here. Evangelion is still fresh enough in people's minds to claim the number one spot, and people still love the original Dragon Ball manga. Osamu Tezuka and Hayao Miyazaki deservedly take up a number of slots each. The thing that heartens me the most is the presence of Nausicaa on both lists, and I suspect that Evangelion will tend to decline in popularity as time passes away from its shocking debut(and as its sharp edges continue to be smoothed over by imitator shows like Rahxephon), while Nausicaa has proven its longevity.
    Not to mention there's more Evangelion coming next year.

But I can't believe Mazinger Z isn't in that list. Amazing...
    ... The Master Of Puppets has spoken.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

Nausicaä hasn't dropped from the "top ten favorite characters" polls ONCE since her movie came out.

All hail our kickass benevolent empress!

For The Win captain_unimpressive's Avatar

Who exactly said Doraemon?
    I haven't seen him in anything since the IHOP knockoff.

Valencia, Venezuela, feeling rather sucky. Or ducky.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_unimpressive
    Who exactly said Doraemon?
    I haven't seen him in anything since the IHOP knockoff.
    In the US, sure, but in Japan his series is still going strong, AFAIK.

Doraemon should be utterly destroyed. That anime freaks the hell outta me.

Goodbye León (november 16th, 1993 - june 12th, 2009). You were, are and always will be the best friend I ever had. I will always love you and never forget you. And please, please forgive me.

Thank you for teaching me about love, patience and caring. Rest in Peace, my friend. I hope that wherever it is you are now, you can run and play as much as you want.

BANNED

Berserk Manga aint in the Top Ten? Weird ass Japs! Go eat some more Fishheads!!

Agreed. Japanese people can be extremely weird sometimes. I mean, Doraemon????? What the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster
    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure at number 2? What are they dumping into Japan's water supply?
    Dunno, but it looks potent as seen here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g6dUmHY-s...2D37D1&index=2
    This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair. This chair!

Hmm. I guess our analog would go: 'I like my real-life like my eroge heroines: flat and two-dimensional.'
    -gp32

Green Mist of Death Young Avenger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster
    What's wrong with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? My only experience with the series was with the Dreamcast fighting game and it didn't look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian K. Vaughan
    Thanks. I don't know. I'm no Stan Lee, but I definitely know how to steal from him. Stan was the one who realized that great comics have nothing to do with powers, costumes, or continuity, and everything to do with using these heroes as timeless metaphors for something meaningful about our real lives.
    Quoted for truth

Help Save Ant-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Young Avenger
    What's wrong with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? My only experience with the series was with the Dreamcast fighting game and it didn't look bad.
    Honestly, I loved the first Jojo's struggle against Dio, culminating in their awesome final meeting. I'm less fond of his successors, though they all had their moments as well.

I kinda hate the art style though, because everyone looks like a pro-wrestler trying to do ballet.
    Fox Mr. Sinister (holding Rogue's chin): "So beautiful, yet so strong."

Fox Wolverine: "Well, I always did think I was kinda cute. Nice of you to mention it."

Official Board Ostrichizer

Not to mention that Akira is not in either of those lists...