Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Whatever happend to...

• Joe Frank
    • Uncle Elvis
    • Olav Beemer

I was reading the letter column of an old Superman comics (mid 80s I think) the other day, and in it there were a few names that seemed familair. Thinking about it, these guys were in almost every DC letter coloumn I read back then, and I was wondering, with the demise of the letter column, anyone knows if they surfaced somewhere else?

P.s: Also, whatever happened to Kerry(?) Gammil? A Superman artist from the same period.

Quote Originally Posted by Shad
    P.s: Also, whatever happened to Kerry(?) Gammil? A Superman artist from the same period.
    http://www.kerrygammill.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MDG
    Thanks, I had no idea how versatile an artist he is. Any idea why he stopped doing comics?

I use Cro-Magnums, baby! C.O. Jones's Avatar

Olav may still be around these boards. I talked to him a little on a thread I can't quite recall last year. I couldn't believe it was him, but another poster, along with Olav himself, verified his id. I was a little awestruck, I must admit.

Uncle Elvis used to have his own comics website a few years ago I thought. I don't know if it's still around, though.

T.M. Maple's name came up a few weeks ago too. Someone here wanted to collect his entire collection of write-in letters and put them in book format as a tribute.
    Nick Fury's to-do list:

1) Save the world.
    2) Punch Norman in the face.
    3) Have a beer.

Gammil's also a moderator over at the Classic Horror Film Board, under the name of Count Gamula. He's got a lot of interesting things to say, among a lot of other bright folks there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadi View Post
    • Joe Frank
    • Uncle Elvis
    • Olav Beemer

I was reading the letter column of an old Superman comics (mid 80s I think) the other day, and in it there were a few names that seemed familair. Thinking about it, these guys were in almost every DC letter coloumn I read back then, and I was wondering, with the demise of the letter column, anyone knows if they surfaced somewhere else?

I didn't know Olav Beemer went that far back. I remember his letters being all over the place for Image, and I think both Marvel & DC, back in the 90's.

Huh. I don't remember seeing Olav Beemer anywhere other than the "Bone" letters collumn. Never knew he was so prolific.

Although he WAS in pretty much every issue of Jeff Smith's classic (in the "good" not "old" sense) series. There was even an "Olav's Corner" for a while.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Verdi, who got many letters published throughout the 70's & early 80's, & Charles J. Sperling, who got his letters published throughout the 80's & early 90's seems to have vanished.

What happened to them?

I miss the substantive letter pages of yesteryear than the current ones that exist today. Heck, I still read the old letters from by back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadi View Post
    • Joe Frank
    • Uncle Elvis
    • Olav Beemer

Of the list, I only remember Uncle Elvis (particularly throughout the 80's)...

I'll have to do some searching through my back issues to find the other two comic book fans...

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I remember Olav Beemer, but not the other two.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Whatever happened to Ann Nocenti?She wrote some pretty intense Daredevil stories during the mid 80's-early 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Blunder View Post
    Whatever happened to Ann Nocenti?She wrote some pretty intense Daredevil stories during the mid 80's-early 90's.
    Ann Nocenti had a Catwoman story published by DC Comics a few years ago. She also worked as an editor at High Times after she quit being a comic book freelance writer (or they stopped accepting her stories).

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Ann Nocenti had a Catwoman story published by DC Comics a few years ago. She also worked as an editor at High Times after she quit being a comic book freelance writer (or they stopped accepting her stories).
    She was the cat's meow for a while there....(ouch!):D

Quote Originally Posted by C.O. Jones View Post
    T.M. Maple's name came up a few weeks ago too. Someone here wanted to collect his entire collection of write-in letters and put them in book format as a tribute.
    If someone really did that, the book would be GIANT. That guy wrote so many letters.

Whatever happened to Tom Morgan, former Punisher 2099 artist? His last work was on the Superman books about seven or eight years ago.