Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm still really enjoying this book. I can understand the complaints that the last two arcs haven't had enough closure, but I really like the fact that PAD's setting up all this stuff(the Tracer, alternate reality uncle Ben, Ms. Arrow, Quention Beck) for an epic storyline down the road. You don't see spidey writers doing this kind of planning beforehand these days. Plus, I think these both of these arcs had plenty of content, and also worked well by themselves. Just my opinion, though.

As for PAD leaving, I wouldn't worry about it. He's wanted this gig for ages, and he's the kind of guy who sticks to his projects. Unless the book gets canned(VERY unlikely), or an editor with a grudge kicks him out(somewhat unlikely until JoeQ's running marvel, since he's always been very supportive of PAD), I'd say he's staying on the book at least until issue 50.

i hope you're right, i jumped on this book with this recent arc and loved it...
    this, along with x-factor seem to be some of PADs best work yet...

I found the issue enjoyable although trying to keep track of the Mysterio's (and who is who) kind of drove me nuts.

What I found the most satisfying is seeing Ms. Arrow break out the stingers, I was hoping for JMS to pick up on that when he finished the CW related stuff but it seems like Peter David did the honors quite nicely. What's also great about Peter David's Spider-Man is that while Spidey is going through his own drama during JMS's book, we can see the school aspect of Peter Parker's job back in full swing again (no pun intended) so it's almost like all the parts everyone wanted to see acknowledged during The Other and the early JMS run are being used.

I still didn't care much for Nauck's art since his proportions on Spider-Man are way too huge and musclebound. If there's any other perfect artist for FNS it's Ale Garza since he can do a perfect wirey Spider-Man but retain the cartoony influence of Wieringo. Hopefully though, Scott Eaton can make the title his own.
    Last edited by Will.S; 10-11-2006 at 08:27 PM.

This was a pretty insane issue, especially all the kliff hangers...also was the one chick arrow, from teh xmen?

BTW I got my letter published in FNSM # 12...i am so happy...it's under Andrew :D
    2007 DC League Champion! Raven, Black Alice, Gorilla Grodd, Parasite, Ray, Elasti-Girl

Quote Originally Posted by drinkblatzbeer
    this, along with x-factor seem to be some of PADs best work yet...
    While I'm really REALLY enjoying FNSM... X-Factor is out of this world!

Quote Originally Posted by Sophisticated_Gamer
    This was a pretty insane issue, especially all the kliff hangers...also was the one chick arrow, from teh xmen?

BTW I got my letter published in FNSM # 12...i am so happy...it's under Andrew :D
    ha, yeah, getting a letter published is pretty cool...when i was like 13 i got a letter, well, sort of published in ASM 387 (red cover with young vulture) but they edited it, and asked an extra question i know i didn't ask...so basically it was a half edited letter and my address, but it rocked nonetheless...

Finally managed to make it to the shop and pick this one up today. I like how the last few stories have finished with some unresolved issues (alternate reality Uncle Ben, Miss Arrow's identity, Mysterio's "masters" and their interest in Spidey). I hope Peter David continues to let them simmer as subplots before addressing them entirely. I feel that's the big thing that's been missing with all the recent Spidey 'events' has been the subplots and it's nice to know we're getting some of that with Friendly Neighborhood.
    READING:
    Amazing Spider-Man | Avengers Academy | Carnage USA | Locke & Key | Scarlet Spider | Ultimate Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Cody H
    Finally managed to make it to the shop and pick this one up today. I like how the last few stories have finished with some unresolved issues (alternate reality Uncle Ben, Miss Arrow's identity, Mysterio's "masters" and their interest in Spidey). I hope Peter David continues to let them simmer as subplots before addressing them entirely. I feel that's the big thing that's been missing with all the recent Spidey 'events' has been the subplots and it's nice to know we're getting some of that with Friendly Neighborhood.
    Yeah I agree with that one.

Interestingly the upcoming issue seems to go back to the woman who thought Spider-Man was stalking her so that should be fun. The future scene in that issue with MJ giving her a verbal lashing for some reason has me thinking that it'll tie in with the alternate Uncle Ben story.

Am I the only person who felt kinda cheated with this issue? All that buildup, and then the whole situation gets solved with total ease by Spider-Man and his amazing new gadgets?

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S
    I found the issue enjoyable although trying to keep track of the Mysterio's (and who is who) kind of drove me nuts.
    Especially since this could've been an opportunity to actually get rid of two of them leaving only one Mysterio left. And I'm not really too keen on the idea that the original Mysterio is, essentially an agent from hell (not unlike what DC did with Doctor Light back in the early 90s) because, as I've said before, I just don't think heavily supernatural stuff really works for Spider-Man. It would have been much simplier if Beck just faked his own suicide and came out of "retirement" after his arch-nemesis publicly revealed his identity.

What I found the most satisfying is seeing Ms. Arrow break out the stingers, I was hoping for JMS to pick up on that when he finished the CW related stuff but it seems like Peter David did the honors quite nicely. What's also great about Peter David's Spider-Man is that while Spidey is going through his own drama during JMS's book, we can see the school aspect of Peter Parker's job back in full swing again (no pun intended) so it's almost like all the parts everyone wanted to see acknowledged during The Other and the early JMS run are being used.
    Well, if Ms. Arrow does turn out to be the She-Spider/Other, then it does suggest my belief that the JMS mini that supposed to "fix" Spider-Man will have Spidey and the "Other" team-up to stop some great evil, maybe Shathra the Spider-Wasp and Morlun, from overtaking the world and finally putting an end to all the mystical spider-totem craziness, not to mention, I hope, somehow restoring Spidey's secret ID and just what are the six junction points in Spider-Man's life? (Hopefully answering another one of JMS unsolved mysteries: what lead to the possible future of Spidey as depicted in ASM #500?) Hey, Joe Q did say over at Newsrama concerning the upcoming "Back in Black" arc that everything that's been happening to Spidey now supposively all ties into that mini.
    Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd
    Especially since this could've been an opportunity to actually get rid of two of them leaving only one Mysterio left. And I'm not really too keen on the idea that the original Mysterio is, essentially an agent from hell (not unlike what DC did with Doctor Light back in the early 90s) because, as I've said before, I just don't think heavily supernatural stuff really works for Spider-Man. It would have been much simplier if Beck just faked his own suicide and came out of "retirement" after his arch-nemesis publicly revealed his identity.
    I actually agree, I didn't exactly love the supernatural slant on Mysterio and I was hoping to see the return of just 1 Mysterio (preferably in the classic costume) but then again there's more to Quentin Beck's story, maybe the Deadgirl series is a clue about his return?

Well, if Ms. Arrow does turn out to be the She-Spider/Other, then it does suggest my belief that the JMS mini that supposed to "fix" Spider-Man will have Spidey and the "Other" team-up to stop some great evil, maybe Shathra the Spider-Wasp and Morlun, from overtaking the world and finally putting an end to all the mystical spider-totem craziness....
    Eh, I don't see Ms. Arrow teaming up with Spider-Man to do that. What Peter David seems to be inferring with the character is that she's under "deep cover" to try to bait Spider-Man/Peter Parker into some kind of trap.

Quote Originally Posted by drinkblatzbeer
    ha, yeah, getting a letter published is pretty cool...when i was like 13 i got a letter, well, sort of published in ASM 387 (red cover with young vulture) but they edited it, and asked an extra question i know i didn't ask...so basically it was a half edited letter and my address, but it rocked nonetheless...
    But you should read it, because he gave me the coolest response to my letter...
    2007 DC League Champion! Raven, Black Alice, Gorilla Grodd, Parasite, Ray, Elasti-Girl

I loved this issue! I'm glad that Beck's finally back. I don't care if he's dead as long as the one-true Mysterio is back. Here's the question though; why is he back now and what is he planning? Who are his superiors? Is Ms Arrow Marrow from the X-Men with a revamp or The Other? Man I love this book! Peter David always does this with me after each story arc comes to a close, posting multiple questions on this forum.
    From now on we're poison to you Spider-Man. That's why we call ourselves... VENOM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S
    I actually agree, I didn't exactly love the supernatural slant on Mysterio and I was hoping to see the return of just 1 Mysterio (preferably in the classic costume) but then again there's more to Quentin Beck's story, maybe the Deadgirl series is a clue about his return?

Eh, I don't see Ms. Arrow teaming up with Spider-Man to do that. What Peter David seems to be inferring with the character is that she's under "deep cover" to try to bait Spider-Man/Peter Parker into some kind of trap.
    No, I'm implying that. You're inferring it.

PAD

Iím curious about questions on the supernatural status (or lack thereof) on the original Mysterio.

Given the characterís nature, how do we know for sure that there really is something supernatural going on with him, versus him just following his MO and messing with peopleís heads?

After all, as I recall even Matt Murdock had trouble seeing through some of his illusions in Smithís DD run and Murdockís senses make him incredibly difficult to fool in that manner.

Seems a little early to worry too much about it...