Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Default HULK #99 - "Planet Hulk: Anarchy" Part 4 (of 4) - Review & Spoilers

HULK #99 by Pak and Lopresti, out today . . .

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Honestly, I think I can sum up this issue with one big quote.

"You tried to kill us with swords and spears. You tried to kill us with bombs. You tried to kill us with your stupid spikes. But that just made us mad. So get ready, Red King. Now we're coming for you."

In a word: Awesome.
    Expletive Deleted

Currently, the Planet Hulk Storylines are my favorites among all the various comic titles, from either of the Big Two. It's been consistently well drawn, and well written. It doesn't have the baggage of the Civil War series (yet, or ever, hopefully), despite the Illuminati bit that got him where he is.

I also like this current incarnation of the Hulk. He's not the dumb Hulk, and neither is he the "Professor" Hulk. He comes off more as the dark side of Banner, and not necessarily as a completely split personality. Granted, that inbetween issue had a Banner bit part in it. But I prefer to think of the Hulk as that dark, somewhat brooding, but still intelligent, or maybe crafty, Hulk he is now, than some child-like Frankenstein's Monster rip-off he reverted into several times. Hulk Smash! is still a phrase that's uttered, but more in a sardonic tone.

I think that referring to him as the "savage Hulk", as some other posters have done, does him a disservice. In this issue, he's clearly not, nor is he unintelligent. He's just angry:).

(time to forcast the future)
    Caller: Operator, I'd like to make a collect call.
    Operator: With whom would you like me to connect you?
    Caller: One Tony Stark.
    Operator: And who may I say is calling?
    Caller: Tell him that it's Big and Green calling.
    Operator: One moment, please hold... Connecting, have a nice day.
    Stark: Hello? Is this some sort of prank call? If it is, I'm sending Venom after you, you punk!
    Caller: Hello, Tony, this is Hulk.
    Stark: *gulp* *click* *tinkle tinkle* Crap, now I have to dry out my armor!
    Caller: Operator, I'd like to place another collect call, this time to one Reed Richards.
    Operator: One moment....
    (end scene in my mind)

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

This issue was very good. The pacing was a little faster then recent chapters of Planet Hulk.

The Red King is definitely evil. This part of the story has definitely illustrated that.

I liked the Oldstrong switching to Hulk's side. That was done fairly well.

And of course, lots of action. And soon, more action. Just what Hulk needs.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Narfolin
    I also like this current incarnation of the Hulk. He's not the dumb Hulk, and neither is he the "Professor" Hulk. He comes off more as the dark side of Banner, and not necessarily as a completely split personality. Granted, that inbetween issue had a Banner bit part in it. But I prefer to think of the Hulk as that dark, somewhat brooding, but still intelligent, or maybe crafty, Hulk he is now, than some child-like Frankenstein's Monster rip-off he reverted into several times. Hulk Smash! is still a phrase that's uttered, but more in a sardonic tone.
    I think the Hulkfan jargon for this particular version is "Grayvage Hulk." It's the classic "Savage Hulk," but mixed with a little bit of Joe "Gray Hulk" Fixit's cunning and personality.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
    I think the Hulkfan jargon for this particular version is "Grayvage Hulk." It's the classic "Savage Hulk," but mixed with a little bit of Joe "Gray Hulk" Fixit's cunning and personality.
    No matter how many times I it, I always read it as "Gravy Hulk".

BANNED

Close, but I believe the term isthe 'Gravage' Hulk. Eh, it's a comic so w/e

Thus corrects Doom

btw This Issue is awesome. Hulk yelling to the (former) Emperor's Shadow to burn him was a cool moment. And hey, Hulk comes to appreciate 'fighting for friends.'

Hrmm also of note is that the Hulk can forgive if he chooses.. he's forgiven the bug for his attack and accepted the shadow as one of the warbound...maybe he'll forive us earthilings....NOT!

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDoom
    Close, but I believe the term isthe 'Gravage' Hulk. Eh, it's a comic so w/e

Thus corrects Doom

btw This Issue is awesome. Hulk yelling to the (former) Emperor's Shadow to burn him was a cool moment. And hey, Hulk comes to appreciate 'fighting for friends.'

Hrmm also of note is that the Hulk can forgive if he chooses.. he's forgiven the bug for his attack and accepted the shadow as one of the warbound...maybe he'll forive us earthilings....NOT!
    Hey, Marvel's "big event" for 2007 is "World War Hulk" for a reason. ;)
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Miek discovering the Queen was touching(gogo gadget handbook!), as was the Hulk saving her. Great book, great wrapup to the arc, and I cant wait for the next.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

It's funny, there were a couple parts in the middle of the book where the story didn't quite flow right, but this was still the best issue since Hulk left the arena. I haven't been quite as fond of this chapter as I was with the first, but this has my psyched up for the last part.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

NExt issue will actually be the first Incredible Hulk 100. Imagine that.:evilsmile

Oh hell yes.

"Bring it on."
    Slayven ftw.

"Looksky! Birdplane!"

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Incredible Hulk was just... incredible. The whole series just keep getting bigger and better.
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&®%!

Donald M.

It was just awesome this issue. Thats really all that can describe it.

This is an epic in every way.

I can't wait for the next part. I wanna see Hulk do some serious smashing.

In every issue so far there's something that makes me glad that I purchased the Planet Hulk Guidebook. Here, it was the introduction of the Queen Native. If I hadn't read the Guidebook, that whole subplot probably wouldn't have had nearly as much impact for me.

Another great issue!