Reading Shellhead's post on the "Worst mini ever..." thread rang many bells for me - same events pushed him toward DC, while they pushed my out of comics altogether.
I was primarily a Marvel Zombie in my early years, but by mid/late 80s I was reading a fair number of First/Eclipse/other indie titles, and some of the better DC stuff.
But by the late 80s (ish), it really all went sour for me, and I lost interest from a combination of:
All this lot came together at approximately the same time, and I just said - "sod it" and stopped.
- Secret Wars 2 - the first was was awful, but the 2nd one was a war crime. I'm not a fanatical collector in the way that some on here are - collecting things to have a set of all the issues with pink title lettering, or whatever - but I am a fairly obsessive completist - if I start a series, it takes me a lot to stop*. But even I couldn't stomach buying the end of that series - to this day, I don't know (or care) how it ended
- Crisis on Infinite Earth - I'd got caught up in the hype and read this dreadful padded mishmash with increasing disbelief
- Started reading more DC comics in the wake of COIE (Flash, Batman, Man of Steel, Green Lantern, JLA, Teen Titans), only to find that they were all just as bad as I remembered them from previous reading (apart from Batman: Year One)
- Moore finished on Swamp Thing
- Watchmen 11 - the uber-stupid ending had me literally throwing the book across the room in disgust
- Marvel's terrible post SW2 slump - Stern's awful on Avengers, Claremont out of ideas on X-Men, Byrne crashing and..erm. Byrning on F4
- Most of the non-major titles had got into a rut as well: Nexus had totally lost its way, Cerebus was very dull, Mage book 1 had finished and no sign of book 2, Marvelman was pretty much over, V for Vendetta had finished
Every now and then I'd browse my local comic shop and look on bemused at what was happening - Avengers / X-men etc all back to #1?? I even lapsed and had a spate of recollecting X-Men (Australia/Fall of Mutants era), for a couple of months, buying up about 20 back issues, only to discover that most (possibly all) of them were dire.
Eventually, a couple of years ago, I started browsing TPBs in Borders, and got interested again... led to Newsarama and then to here... and finally, bought Infinite Crisis #1, my first comic for about 10-15 years.
As it turned out IC was another turkey, that I nearly didn't bother to finish, but I'm hooked again. Not buying much that would count as classic, apart from Powers, which I've loved and collected all the back issues.
So - my blathering over. Has anything ever "forced" you away from comics - and if it did, what brought you back again?