Default Brave and the Bold 65?

As a kid in the 60s, I bought B&B 65 off the spinner rack. I bought it because I thought it was an issue of The Flash.

It turned out to be a team-up of Flash and Doom Patrol. I'd never heard of DP and was confused by the dialogue. The DP were always insulting each other, unlike the other DC comics I bought like Superboy and Batman.

I don't think I even finished reading it.

Now, I'd like to get a nice copy of this book, but it seems to be hard to find in good condition. I say "good" but to me, good means "Fine" in the strict sense of comic grading.

Does anyone know if this comic is rare, and if so, why?

Mile High doesn't even list it, much less, ever have a copy in any condition.

What's the deal with this comic?
    Rehab is for Quitters

I was lookin' for Brave and the Bolds last week.... An' Mile High is missing A LOT of 'em.

MyComicShop has a better selection, including 65. It's 21-31 dollars, depending on condition. Too rich for my blood, but it's there.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Well, I see it listed at milehighcomics.com, and priced at less than the nearest Batman teamups in either direction of B&B, although they do indeed appear to be out of stock. And lonestarcomics.com is advertising a "Fine" copy for $31.20. That sounds like a reasonable price, not suggestive of rarity (and I've never seen anything to suggest this was rare...I saw several copies before I finally picked one up for a very modest price about 14 years ago in Nashville).
    I can imagine why it might have freaked little Mac out somewhat--all you need to know is that this is Bob Haney writing the Flash, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MWGallaher
    I can imagine why it might have freaked little Mac out somewhat--all you need to know is that this is Bob Haney writing the Flash, right?
    Yes, little mac was shocked. This was the type of dialogue that kept me from buying any of the current Marvel comics.

I didn't finish reading it and quickly renewed my sub to Superboy. I felt very at home in 1930s Smallville.

I've got a copy of BB 65, I would just like to upgrade it.

My Comic Shop lists the artist as Bruno Premanini, but I think it was drawn by Dick Giordano. Possibly his first art job at DC?
    Rehab is for Quitters

Yes, it was Giordano/Trapani, so probably one of those cases where Trapani bagged a job and hired someone else--I think Giordano was his brother-in-law?--to provide the pencils. I can't recall any earlier Giordano work at DC.

Quote Originally Posted by MWGallaher
    Yes, it was Giordano/Trapani, so probably one of those cases where Trapani bagged a job and hired someone else--I think Giordano was his brother-in-law?--to provide the pencils. I can't recall any earlier Giordano work at DC.
    Yes, that is the story I remember reading somewhere. Probably the Giordano interview in Comic Book Artist.
    Rehab is for Quitters

OK, I found this listing on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Brave-and-th...em260035584569

Maybe someone here can enlightening me about this grade.

It says VF+, which sounds great to me. But then it says 8.5.

What is 8.5? From the photo, it doesn't appear to be slabbed, so who awarded it an 8.5?

And can a Very Fine book be graded as 8.5? It sounds a bit fishy to me, but I am not up on current methods of comic book grading.
    Rehab is for Quitters

Overstreet lists VF+ as 8.5. "Fits criteria for Very Fine but with an additional virtue or small accumulation of virtues that improvest he book's appearance by a perceptible amount."

VF: "An excellent copy with outstanding eye appeal. A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Cover is relatively flat with minmal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. Inks are genearlly bright with moderate to high reflectivity. An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing [I don't know what foxing is]. Spine is almost completely flat with a possible minor color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present. Paper is cream to tan and supple. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present."

Sorry for any typos. I've had some wine. I'd be kind of doubtful about the book actually being VF+ since I consider most of my current books to be VF+ since reading them will but some slight wear and tear on them. However, I'm a little rough on my comics, so maybe this issue of B&B has been bagged for the past few decades. You could always ask the seller for more scans.

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron King
    Sorry for any typos. I've had some wine.
    What kind of wine?
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Pinot noir. Now I'm following it up with some hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps. It's cold here in Wisconsin!