Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49
  1. #1
    Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    11,377

    Default New Avengers = New Coke? / Are the New Avengers THE Avengers?

    Quote Originally Posted by alextron
    First off, it's not really the Avengers anyway.
    Repeatedly making this statement isn't going to make it true. The New Avengers are the Avengers. You may not like the chosen direction, and that's fine. You have that right, but why make a statement that just isn't true? They are the Avengers because Marvel says they are. Some fans had the same reaction when Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver joined, but it didn't change the fact that those characters were Avengers, and 40+ years later, all three are considered classic members. That's just how things work and how they have worked since time immemorial.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Babylon23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deus ex Chris
    Repeatedly making this statement isn't going to make it true. The New Avengers are the Avengers. You may not like the chosen direction, and that's fine. You have that right, but why make a statement that just isn't true? They are the Avengers because Marvel says they are. Some fans had the same reaction when Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver joined, but it didn't change the fact that those characters were Avengers, and 40+ years later, all three are considered classic members. That's just how things work and how they have worked since time immemorial.
    It could go either way, really. In 10 years time, the New characters could be seen in that same light. Alternatively, they could be seen in the same light as Reed and Sue, Gilgamesh, Deathcry, Rage etc.

  3. #3
    Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    11,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23
    It could go either way, really. In 10 years time, the New characters could be seen in that same light. Alternatively, they could be seen in the same light as Reed and Sue, Gilgamesh, Deathcry, Rage etc.
    That wasn't the point. The point is that these characters are the Avengers, and that's not really subject to opinion. It may not be team that you like or what you consider your Avengers, but they are the Avengers, period.

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    WSU
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deus ex Chris
    That wasn't the point. The point is that these characters are the Avengers, and that's not really subject to opinion. It may not be team that you like or what you consider your Avengers, but they are the Avengers, period.
    No, they are the New Avengers. See the title, even Marvel says so. They are much like New Coke.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    827

    Default

    Ok thats easily the most sarcastic or most stupid reason I have ever read.

    I can't decide...

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    WSU
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xanrn
    Ok thats easily the most sarcastic or most stupid reason I have ever read.

    I can't decide...
    I think the comparison to New Coke is actually apt.

  7. #7
    Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    11,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrozen
    No, they are the New Avengers. See the title, even Marvel says so. They are much like New Coke.
    So are the X-Men in Uncanny X-Men not X-Men? Are they Uncanny X-Men? What about the Astonishing X-Men? The New Avengers are the Avengers.

  8. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    WSU
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deus ex Chris
    So are the X-Men in Uncanny X-Men not X-Men? Are they Uncanny X-Men? What about the Astonishing X-Men? The New Avengers are the Avengers.
    Those X-Men teams are Astonishing and Uncanny, I thought that would of been evident. New means something is not old, it is different. So, the New Avengers are not the old Avengers meaning they aren't The Avengers. :D

  9. #9
    Wallace Likes It That Way Deus ex Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    11,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrozen
    Those X-Men teams are Astonishing and Uncanny, I thought that would of been evident. New means something is not old, it is different. So, the New Avengers are not the old Avengers meaning they aren't The Avengers. :D
    From the smiley, I gather you realize the absurdity of your argument, so let's just end it with that. ;)

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    WSU
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deus ex Chris
    From the smiley, I gather you realize the absurdity of your argument, so let's just end it with that. ;)
    You assume that my argument was in any way unabsurd.

    Okay, the New Avengers = New Coke part is serious.

  11. #11
    BANNED Jake V's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    11,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrozen
    You assume that my argument was in any way unabsurd.

    Okay, the New Avengers = New Coke part is serious.
    Did New Coke last 2 years? And was it a success for 2 years?

    These are not rhetorical questions, I'm asking because I think I was 3 when new coke came out.

  12. #12
    BANNED The Shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    13,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrozen
    Okay, the New Avengers = New Coke part is serious.
    But fatally flawed!

    New Coke resulted in a loss of customers and revenue for Coca-Cola.

    New Avengers has resulted in the exact OPPOSITE for Marvel. Higher sales, more revenue, larger readership in over a decade.

    The only thing they have in common is the "new" in their names. ;)

  13. #13
    BANNED The Shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    13,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake V
    Did New Coke last 2 years? And was it a success for 2 years?
    I know those questions were rhetorical but I thought I'd answer em anyway.

    Funny enough it lasted 7 years (You may remember it as Coke II)... but it was a bomb from the start.

    New Coke at Wikipedia

  14. #14
    BANNED Jake V's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    11,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow
    But fatally flawed!

    New Coke resulted in a loss of customers and revenue for Coca-Cola.

    New Avengers has resulted in the exact OPPOSITE for Marvel. Higher sales, more revenue, larger readership in over a decade.

    The only thing they have in common is the "new" in their names. ;)
    After reading the wiki article, another similarity I've found is that new coke's detractors reacted to the drink as if they lost a family member.


    And to answer my earlier question, New Coke lasted 3 months before the Original formula came back.

  15. #15
    BANNED Jake V's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    11,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow
    I know those questions were rhetorical but I thought I'd answer em anyway.

    Funny enough it lasted 7 years (You may remember it as Coke II)... but it was a bomb from the start.

    New Coke at Wikipedia
    Dude they were actual questions!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •